Remote Bird Launchers

iowajonnyboy

Remote Bird Launchers

Post by iowajonnyboy » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:19 pm

What do you all recommend for a remote bird launcher?

I've recently gotten access to some pigeons from a training acquaintance of mine. He will let me use them at a local dog training area because they will fly back to his coop. We have been working with a couple of manual launchers at his place, but I think that it may be nice to have a remote one so that if I can't have someone else with me it will be a little less hectic. I've seen several different types around. I run tri-tronics e-collars.

Any suggestions on types and places to purchase?

Thanks!

MillerClemsonHD

Re: Remote Bird Launchers

Post by MillerClemsonHD » Mon Dec 01, 2008 9:07 pm

iowajonnyboy wrote:What do you all recommend for a remote bird launcher?

I've recently gotten access to some pigeons from a training acquaintance of mine. He will let me use them at a local dog training area because they will fly back to his coop. We have been working with a couple of manual launchers at his place, but I think that it may be nice to have a remote one so that if I can't have someone else with me it will be a little less hectic. I've seen several different types around. I run tri-tronics e-collars.

Thanks!

How often do you plan to use them and how many dogs do you or are you planning to train? I have purchased the launchers from Treads and Tracks. I purchased these as I only have 1 dog and will only be training 1 or 2 dogs at a time and not use them for them that often. If I was a pro that relied on them daily to run my business then I would probably buy one of the proven units. I would assume by your question that you will only be training your personal dog and maybe help a friend or 2 with yours so I would suggest the units from treads and tracks as they are a much more affordable unit for the personal user.

http://www.treadsandtracks.com/

jeogsp

Post by jeogsp » Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:06 pm

I have had a set of the DT BL 509's for the past 3 years and am very happy with them.

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:25 pm

My Navhda club has 3 and swears by the DT brand. I bought a DT this spring and haven't had any troubles yet, even after a leaky tonneau cover allowed the electronics to get wet. :roll:

If they've got the bugs worked out, the treads and tracks model is much more economical though...........and I might get one of those in the future. Denise

stetson82

Post by stetson82 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

i ordered the ones from tracks and treads and its been 5 weeks and im still waiting for it to ship. so unless you want to wait a good couple months for the cheaper one i would go with another.

M1Tanker

Post by M1Tanker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 pm

How high do your DT's launch?

I had one that I sold to purchase a couple of the LCS ones which I returned because they were innotek junk. My previous one seemed to launch pigeons 7 feet in the air.

I bought a new DT and am only getting 3-5 feet with pigeons?

lvrgsp
GDF Junkie

Post by lvrgsp » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:13 am

I like the DT's, and the end loading door option, a bit pricey up front but well worth the cost in the long run.

M1Tanker wrote:How high do your DT's launch?

I had one that I sold to purchase a couple of the LCS ones which I returned because they were innotek junk. My previous one seemed to launch pigeons 7 feet in the air.

I bought a new DT and am only getting 3-5 feet with pigeons?
Without putting a tape on it I would say mine launch quail about 8-10 feet in the air, and pigeons and those fat chukar we get about 5-6 foot, and actually when using chukar I don't like to use the launchers.
Check your batteries, I know it's a new launchewr but still check your batteries try changing them out and see if that works, seriously.

The cons of the DT vs. the Dogtra, are IMO, the DT uses 9 volt batteries, where the Dogtra is rechargeable, and the freaking DT transmitter, who the heck designed it? it's like a kids toy, very small the buttons could have been spaced further apart, just to small for me. We've used the Treads & Tracks a little bit and if they have the bugs worked out there a nice launcher, there again I'm a bigger transmitter kinda guy, but like was said before they work well for a guy with one or two dogs.

Like the looks of that new pup you got there Howie.....lots of Cecil in there... :wink:

Chip

Dirtysteve

Post by Dirtysteve » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 pm

I run both dogtra and DT's but give a slight advantage to the dogtra. I think it has a faster response time and the DT's have just a slight delay. Not much but enough I can notice.
A friend has the treadsandtracks. They work well if you don't have to launch them over 50 yards. They are alot bigger than the others, but reasonably priced.

gsps4evr

Post by gsps4evr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:48 pm

I'll be in the market for a launch soon and was wondering about the different sizes of them. If I'm using smaller birds can I use the larger model of launcher?

displaced_texan

Post by displaced_texan » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:27 pm

Dirtysteve wrote:I run both dogtra and DT's but give a slight advantage to the dogtra. I think it has a faster response time and the DT's have just a slight delay. Not much but enough I can notice.
A friend has the treadsandtracks. They work well if you don't have to launch them over 50 yards. They are alot bigger than the others, but reasonably priced.
50 yards from remote to unit?

The remote is big or the unit itself?

(I just found out about the treadsandtracks ones, I'm a one dog at a time guy, so the price is VERY appealing)
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 4:26 pm

gsps4evr wrote:I'll be in the market for a launch soon and was wondering about the different sizes of them. If I'm using smaller birds can I use the larger model of launcher?
To my knowledge you can use the bigger launcher for a small bird, but the phez size DT launcher my NAVHDA chapter has is huge, and not something I'd want to lug around to launch one pigeon or quail. I have thought about borrowing it though, and loading several quail, for a covey like effect.

KFhunter

Post by KFhunter » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:48 pm

your link didn't work for me, but I found this one off google sounds like the same place
thanks

http://treadsandtracks.blogspot.com/

ah looks like the link to the launchers is down, must not be available anymore.

MillerClemsonHD wrote:
iowajonnyboy wrote:What do you all recommend for a remote bird launcher?

Thanks!

How often do you plan to use them and how many dogs do you or are you planning to train? I have purchased the launchers from Treads and Tracks. I purchased these as I only have 1 dog and will only be training 1 or 2 dogs at a time and not use them for them that often. If I was a pro that relied on them daily to run my business then I would probably buy one of the proven units. I would assume by your question that you will only be training your personal dog and maybe help a friend or 2 with yours so I would suggest the units from treads and tracks as they are a much more affordable unit for the personal user.

http://www.treadsandtracks.com/

wems2371
GDF Junkie

Post by wems2371 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:09 pm

I'm not sure that Treads and Tracks is in business any more...might explain the non-working link.

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=26002

Wired

Post by Wired » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:49 pm

Bigger isn't always better but always louder. Not sure about other brands tensions springs but on my Dogtra's you can adjust the springs tension which lessons the noise when they are launched. I have had mine for seven years and have had zero problems.