Garmin eTex Vista HCx vs. Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx

MTO4Life

Garmin eTex Vista HCx vs. Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx

Post by MTO4Life » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Has anyone used the above units? I'm looking at getting one of them, but not sure the price difference is worth the more expensive unit? How do they fair in heavy brush/timber??? Any thoughts would be appreciated...

nj gsp

Re: Garmin eTex Vista HCx vs. Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx

Post by nj gsp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:18 pm

I have had several Garmin GPS units, but neither of these particular models. (I have an Etrex Legend and a Rino 530 HCx now)

However, if you haven't been to Garmin's website, you can compare models, and it automatically highlights differences.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... roduct=310

There may be other differences or features in the interface that aren't detailed in the specifications, though.

In either case, before you buy a new one, if there is a Cabela's near you, check out the Bargain Cave.

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:18 pm

Also check out www.gpsdiscount.com

I have the 60CS - great little handheld. Don't know much about the Etrex other than the model you're looking at has a high sensitivity receiver, while the 60CSx does not - that's a BIG plus for the Etrex.

One thing I've learned about the 60CS, and likely most handhelds - that thing's street mapping logic sucks. I just took it on a trip to Dublin Ga and it calculated all sorts of funky routes for me to get there, except what ended up being the best one - which btw, is 441 North - period, that's it. One road almost the entire way - why is that difficult to figure out? :)
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:03 pm

You may want to look at the Astro 220 with the DC 30 for Jasmine... :)
That way you can find your way home and keep track of your girl !!
Just a thought.

Mav..
We give dogs time we can spare, space we can spare and love we can spare.
And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

Knine's Ghost Rider

Paisley

Ch Ruffwood's Dixie Girl FD

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:47 pm

phermes1 wrote:Also check out http://www.gpsdiscount.com

I have the 60CS - great little handheld. Don't know much about the Etrex other than the model you're looking at has a high sensitivity receiver, while the 60CSx does not - that's a BIG plus for the Etrex.

One thing I've learned about the 60CS, and likely most handhelds - that thing's street mapping logic sucks. I just took it on a trip to Dublin Ga and it calculated all sorts of funky routes for me to get there, except what ended up being the best one - which btw, is 441 North - period, that's it. One road almost the entire way - why is that difficult to figure out? :)
Maybe you have an older model that does not, but according to Garmin the GPSMAP 60CSx DOES have a high sensitivity receiver.

And I would agree - don't buy ANY handheld GPS that doesn't have a high sensitivity receiver. My Legend doesn't, and it's almost worthless in the woods.

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:18 pm

Hey Mav... I have looked into the Astro... However it's not legal in Canada right now. Not sure what would happen if I did run it as who's gonna find me from Industry Canada (haven't seen too many of them stopping us). It runs on the MURS frequency as opposed to the regular GPS units. I'm not sure what to do. I'm pretty sure I'll have the money for an e-collar and the Astro if I wanted it, but I'm not sure... we'll see. I have an email into Garmin about if it will be released in Canada, but will probably follow up with a call...

phermes1
GDF Junkie

Post by phermes1 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 7:47 pm

nj gsp wrote:
Maybe you have an older model that does not, but according to Garmin the GPSMAP 60CSx DOES have a high sensitivity receiver.

And I would agree - don't buy ANY handheld GPS that doesn't have a high sensitivity receiver. My Legend doesn't, and it's almost worthless in the woods.
Oops, my mistake - I thought Garmin put an 'H' in the model # of every GPS that had it, so I assumed the 60CSx doesn't have it.

Either way - comparing the 2 products on the Garmin website, I'm having a really hard time understanding why the 60CSx is listed at $200 more than the Vista. It's got a better display, but that's about it.
http://www.socovs.com
DC AFC Valley Hunter's Southern Comfort CD MH NA NAJ, UT Prize II, "Shooter"
DC GCH Lagniappe's Chosen One MH, "Buffy"
DC AFC SoCo's Enchanted One JH, "TomBoy"
CH SoCo's Independence Day SH, "Patriot"
SoCo's Twist of Fate JH, "Emma Jane"

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:50 pm

The differences between the two are slim. If you need tide charts, you have to go with the 60CSx.

The 60CSx is similar to the Rino, which I do have, in everything but radio. The weather radio feature is great - I had it with me tonight, noticed the sky was getting dark a little too early, and was able to find out instantly that it wasn't just rain, but there was a dangerous line of thunderstorms about 45 minutes away and heading right for me. I didn't hear thunder for another 20 minutes.

The 60CSx and Vista HCx can't do that.

So if it was me, I'd get the Vista HCx for the cost savings, unless I wanted something truly full featured - and then I'd get what I've got: a Rino 530 HCx.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:05 pm

http://www.thenerds.net/GARMIN_INTERNAT ... 63000.html

FYI, I am shopping too and have almost this exact question. I have found cheapest prices at thenerds.com. The Vista HCX is $219. The 60CSx is $292.
Let us know which model you go with and why.
G

MTO4Life

Post by MTO4Life » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:50 pm

Wow gar-dog... those are some really good prices. Unfortunately I can't buy them as I'm in Canada and they do not ship to Canada. SO, I"m still looking. If you get one before I do (I'll post it if I do), let me know which one...

nj gsp

Post by nj gsp » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm

gar-dog wrote:http://www.thenerds.net/GARMIN_INTERNAT ... 63000.html

FYI, I am shopping too and have almost this exact question. I have found cheapest prices at thenerds.com. The Vista HCX is $219. The 60CSx is $292.
Let us know which model you go with and why.
G
Their price for the Rino is only a couple of dolalrs more than what I paid for mine at Cabela's bargain cave.

Have you bought from them before? Those are some great prices - almost too good, and that sorta makes me nervous...

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:48 pm

nj gsp wrote: Have you bought from them before? Those are some great prices - almost too good, and that sorta makes me nervous...
They have a physical location and a 1-800 number and you can even call them to order. Been around 10 years. Anyway, if you pay by credit card and you don't get your goods, you have some protections. I have bought hundreds of things online and have never been screwed.

gar-dog

Post by gar-dog » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:52 pm

Their Garmin Rino 530 HCx is $362