Insulated Kennel Cover

JakeDD

Insulated Kennel Cover

Post by JakeDD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 pm

DISCLAIMER: I am in not associated with Mud River Dog Products in any way - just wanted to share what appears to be a quality product for us dog junkies!

Just thought I'd share what I came across at Pheasant Fest in MN last weekend. I've been looking for an insulated kennel cover for those colder days when my DD is in back of the truck, but haven't been happy with what I've found at Cabelas, Gander, etc. for the $$. As soon as I came cross this cover I knew right away it was what I was looking for.

ImageImage
ImageImage

The things that sold me on it:
* 2 rubber handles sewn in on top for handling the kennel
* decent zippers on the storage and door flap
* multiple storage pockets on the side/back
* good rubber, non-slide bottom
* removable velcro/clip-on vent covers

They normally sell for $130, but I got it for $100 at the PF show.

For anyone looking for this kind of thing, this cover rocks IMO. I wanted to share cuz I had never heard of these guys before and this was the thing I was looking for. I just hope it holds up like they say it will.

Here's the link for more info: http://www.mudriverdogproducts.com/products.html

Cheers,
JDD

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:06 pm

They don't look much different than my 60 dollar ones that I have been using for several years. Mine don't have the storage since I decided ir was something I would seldom if ever use but it would be handy when you do want it. I sure like mine as the dogs sleep in them every night besides riding in the back of the truck.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

NE Vizsla

Post by NE Vizsla » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Looks like a very nice cover, i bought both of mine from Scheels and they are ok i guess. The zippers could be better and another handle on the back would be nice..but like you said Ezzy...they were around 60 so not bad for the money..they do the job.

These above look better and if i had the extra money i would try one.

muddycreek

Post by muddycreek » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:49 am

The Mud River covers are excellent, held up great this season. The other covers I tried were trashed after about a year of hard use. If the Mud River covers hold up like I think they will the initial cost should be made up.

Terry

Post by Terry » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:27 pm

I have one also. Is great, has a rubberized bottom and heavier fabric. Also has straps to tighten it to the kennel better, and tie-down loops. Definitely worth the extra $40.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:48 pm

My two are two years old and as good as new. I'll bet they will last me for many years. I think the ones pictured look good, just more money than I would pay.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bildoo

Re:

Post by bildoo » Mon May 16, 2011 3:25 am

ezzy333 wrote:My two are two years old and as good as new. I'll bet they will last me for many years. I think the ones pictured look good, just more money than I would pay.

Ezzy
Ya you right but looking for picture.. :?: :roll:

displaced_texan

Re: Insulated Kennel Cover

Post by displaced_texan » Mon May 16, 2011 8:05 am

I'll cast another vote for the Mud River cover, they hold up great, and the pockets are VERY nice.

My pup goes just about everywhere and it is very nice to be able to have a place to put some dummies, and collars/leashes. food and bowls, etc...

Initial investment is a little higher than some, but WELL worth it.
I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either...

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Tue May 24, 2011 4:31 pm

I bought (2) just like that when the Sportsmans Warehouse in Wichita closed down. I think they were $39.00 each. I wish they would have had a couple more. I been happy with them so far.

quanah labs

Post by quanah labs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:08 pm

This is a little off topic but you guys will have an answer. When you take your dogs out in these kennels do you just secure them in the bed of your turck? If so which direction do you face the door of kennel? With posting this question I know that I don't need to state that I am new to gun dogs but I am new. I plan on having my new hunting dog ride in a kennel anytime we go for rides, but I really have never been around anyone that uses them in vehicles for I don't know how they should be set up. Also I live in Texas so the extreme heat of the summer can kill in a matter of minutes, so what kind of transportation kennel do I need to get to help keep my pup cool. Thanks for your info

Kmack

Post by Kmack » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 am

quanah labs wrote:This is a little off topic but you guys will have an answer. When you take your dogs out in these kennels do you just secure them in the bed of your turck? If so which direction do you face the door of kennel? With posting this question I know that I don't need to state that I am new to gun dogs but I am new. I plan on having my new hunting dog ride in a kennel anytime we go for rides, but I really have never been around anyone that uses them in vehicles for I don't know how they should be set up. Also I live in Texas so the extreme heat of the summer can kill in a matter of minutes, so what kind of transportation kennel do I need to get to help keep my pup cool. Thanks for your info
I use nylon ratchet straps to secure the crates to the truck-bed. I usually have 3 crates right at the tailgate facing the rear of the truck. In hot weather, I wedge ice-bags between the crates. Sometimes I dump ice inside the crate so that they can drink the water when it melts. I have also just poured water in the crate so that they can wet their belly in it. If you can keep direct sunlight off the crate they will stay much cooler.