Garmin Instinct Watch

Garrison

Garmin Instinct Watch

Post by Garrison » Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:54 pm

I bought a Garmin Instinct watch over a year ago mainly for mountain biking and exercise tracking. I saw that it could be paired with the Astro’s and Alpha’s. I tried to to pair it to my old Astro 320 when I first got it and had no luck. At the time I think I recall reading the 320 didn’t support the functionality. Well, on a whim I looked it up again and after updating the Astro it works like a charm. Hallelujah! Really nice feature to have on the wrist while hunting so you don’t have to fuss with the Astro. You can see distance and direction of three dogs.

The watch itself is not all that intuitive, but after a bit I figured out the functions I regularly use. I use it to change music while riding my bike, track distances, steps and now dogs all fairly easily. What I don’t like is battery life. You do have to be pretty purposeful in charging it, similar to a cell phone. They have updated versions, and some much more expensive watches than my basic version that are better for this. Like the Instinct Solar for a bit more.

Anyway, if you have some Christmas gift cards burning a hole in your pocket, are due for a watch and aren’t afraid of gadgetry, it’s an option.

Garrison
D235E6F3-7E24-4DCD-8D26-26E3F2DC00E4.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

roaniecowpony

Re: Garmin Instinct Watch

Post by roaniecowpony » Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:40 pm

I bought one about a season or two before covid. I linked it to my Alpha 100 and it was much easier to check than my Alpha. Still, it's another piece of equipment that needs charging each night after hunting.

I read recently that many Garmin watches aren't supported by them to change batteries. One guy was ranting about paying over $500 for a watch and no support for a battery change. In particular, I looked at my Instinct and it appears to be all plastic and no obvious way to open it up. Have you heard anything about battery replacement?

Garrison

Re: Garmin Instinct Watch

Post by Garrison » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:00 pm

roaniecowpony wrote:
Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:40 pm
I bought one about a season or two before covid. I linked it to my Alpha 100 and it was much easier to check than my Alpha. Still, it's another piece of equipment that needs charging each night after hunting.

I read recently that many Garmin watches aren't supported by them to change batteries. One guy was ranting about paying over $500 for a watch and no support for a battery change. In particular, I looked at my Instinct and it appears to be all plastic and no obvious way to open it up. Have you heard anything about battery replacement?
Haven’t needed a battery change, but their website does allude to them being serviceable at the factory.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-