Small town pointers

cook20

Small town pointers

Post by cook20 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:36 am

I live in a small town (inside city limits). I’m surrounded by rural areas and have access to private and public ground for hunting dog training etc. I currently own two English pointers. They are indoor/outdoor dogs. They spend time in the house and in kennels attached to a shed that has indoor insulated boxes built in. In the future I’d like to get another dog. We hope to end up on an acreage some day for more space, but I currently just load them up and transport them for running training etc. (yard work at home). I was just curious to see how many people out there also lived in town limits with big running bird dogs and what their routine for running and training was like.
Thanks

fishvik

Re: Small town pointers

Post by fishvik » Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:54 pm

I've had a couple of versatile breeds and live in town. I'm lucky enough to live close to public land so exercising them has not been a problem. Keeping my shorthair in the yard was when she was younger and talking to other shorthair owners I think some in their breeding some kangaroo is in there.

bustingcover

Post by bustingcover » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:25 pm

I keep 2 all age dogs in a condo in Portland. Drive 30 minutes out the city 3 days a week to road them for an hour on logging roads.
You like these dogs because you like the truth. And these dogs, if you watch them, they will show you the truth.

Featherfinder

Post by Featherfinder » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:58 am

I used to own two dogs in a sizable city. I was also trialing one of the dogs at the time. I drove outside the city limits about 30 minutes to various sites with them virtually daily. Trialed during the spring and fall. I was married but no kids at that time. Hard to believe my wife has put up with me for 42 years!

Trailgunner

Post by Trailgunner » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 pm

I plated my KTM dirtbike and run my horseback trial dog in front of me. Then I run him up the mountains a few minutes from my house. I also skijorn and bikejorn with him if it snows.

bonasa

Post by bonasa » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:18 am

Bikejoring and if I'm lazy, I do retrieve work in the driveway (120') with the dog in the harness and pulling the small tire with a plate (45#).