Trial Dog Question

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
gary

Trial Dog Question

Post by gary » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:08 pm

My 2 yr old female Weim took forever it seems, to stop being a puppy.She has always had a stylish point,but always wants to be in front to the point that she comes back and want's to play with her bracemate.
She place second in an all breed trial last month and it seems that she has matureded enough to keep focused on on finding birds.So, I was thinking about running the her in the Nationals in Dec.
When the mature nature of a dog kicks in does the puppy ways
some times come back?
Gary

dhondtm

Post by dhondtm » Sat Oct 30, 2004 8:55 pm

It is typical for a Weim to struggle at backing/honoring their bracemate. I take Cassi out every chance I get even if it is on a check cord to back two other dogs. I haven't heard of a Weim getting out of that puppy stage until they're 7+ years. Ours is 2yrs and 4 months and still behaves like a pup.

gary

Trial Dog Question

Post by gary » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:22 am

I guess it's up to the handler to keep the dog focused on tasks at
hand.
This brings up another question,Does Weim's seem harder to handle than other breeds?
She seems less distracted is when she is with a harder running dog,for when she was braced with a pointer she stayed in front all the way and never offered to play.
Thanks,Gary

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Sun Oct 31, 2004 7:35 pm

Gary,

If your dog is at the level of training the NAtionals require, and is quailified..............Get her there!

The experience alone is great for her! And you will get to see the best of the best in your breed.

Phil
REO

gary

Dog Trials

Post by gary » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:26 pm

QC,I have read all your post and agree that with you.
She would not have to be a finished dog to run in the Futurity and I think it would be good for her and exposure like this never hurts. It's also a lot of fun......
QC,have you any Weins?If so, have you made any of these trials?
Gary

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:49 am

Gary,

i dont own any but have trained several. A club used to hold their trials at my old training place too. Got to see most of the big Weim trainers come by! ONe trial we had 109 of those Grey Ghosts there!

Get out there and try....you never know...you have got to be in it to win it!

One thing you definetly don't want to miss....those weim folks sure can party! They were up to the WEE hours at my place, and still made it on a horse the following day!

Phil
REO