Anything near Pittsburgh

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
BuckeyeSteve

Anything near Pittsburgh

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:26 am

I'm about a half hour north of Pittsburgh. Does anyone know of any kind of pointing dog trials or tests or events of any kind within an hour or so of Pittsburgh that I could attend? I'm not glued to anything specific at this point...I've just never been to an event and would like to go watch and learn. I've looked on the web about a million times and haven't found anything....though I'm sure there has to be something out there. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Anything near Pittsburgh

Post by shags » Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:49 pm

AKC and AF trials are done for the season around you...the Pennsylvania Amateur Grouse Dog Club trial finished up today.

There's a hunt test in Ohio next week. It's about 3 hours west of Pittsburgh
https://www.apps.akc.org//apps/events/s ... 1522115373

Where I am, and I believe lots of other places, are in nesting season/quiet time so no events on state or public land.
Have you checked the websites and calendars of organizations like NSTRA, US Complete, NAVHDA, UFTA, etc. Lots of times those on run on private grounds and don't have to worry about nesting dates.

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:58 pm

shags wrote:AKC and AF trials are done for the season around you...the Pennsylvania Amateur Grouse Dog Club trial finished up today.

There's a hunt test in Ohio next week. It's about 3 hours west of Pittsburgh
https://www.apps.akc.org//apps/events/s ... 1522115373
Wow!! Shags....How do you find things like that? I haven't recently, but have looked on every organization page I can find and do random google searches, and I would have never found the PA Amateur Grouse Dog Club trial! I just looked it up, found one listing with Dave Blakely's name and the city (which is only a couple hours from me)....but if I hadn't had the exact search term you gave me (and I'd never heard of PA Amateur Grouse Dog Club before) it wouldn't have come up by any other search term. That trail would have been PERFECT. I'm bummed I missed it.

I used to work in Circleville where the Irish Setter hunt test is next week (I looked that up too). I won't be able to get there next Sunday....but my family lives 45 minutes from there so with a little more planning I could have worked something out.

I'll try to watch the private club websites....but I haven't done a very good job so far. Again....sooo impressed with the PA grouse dog club knowledge/find. I looked and don't see a facebook page or website or anything else for them. The obvious answer for this question is probably to call Dave Blakely from the info on that single post for the trial today....but is there something I'm missing on finding this type of thing online?

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:08 am

You can check The American Field website. Pay to read articles, but the schedule of events is free.

AKC has an event search on their website. I don't find it very user friendly but it lists events and contact info.

The coverdog site usually has upcoming events and results. Sometimes pretty short heads up times, but if you register there you can ask for info when you spot notices. http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/

Warriors Mark preserve isn't too far, they host events. They might have a website or FB with a calendar.

Oak Ridge Pointing Dog Club has a website and isn't far.

Those hunt tests aren't in Circleville this time, they are about 1 1/2 hours north. Pretty much a straight shot over going I-76 and US 224.

Starting in August or September there will be lots more events. Oak Ridge, coverdog trials, trials up by Butler, all kinds of stuff :D

BuckeyeSteve

Post by BuckeyeSteve » Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:26 pm

shags wrote:You can check The American Field website. Pay to read articles, but the schedule of events is free.

AKC has an event search on their website. I don't find it very user friendly but it lists events and contact info.

The coverdog site usually has upcoming events and results. Sometimes pretty short heads up times, but if you register there you can ask for info when you spot notices. http://members3.boardhost.com/coverdog/

Warriors Mark preserve isn't too far, they host events. They might have a website or FB with a calendar.

Oak Ridge Pointing Dog Club has a website and isn't far.

Those hunt tests aren't in Circleville this time, they are about 1 1/2 hours north. Pretty much a straight shot over going I-76 and US 224.

Starting in August or September there will be lots more events. Oak Ridge, coverdog trials, trials up by Butler, all kinds of stuff :D
Shags... you are awesome.