Breed National Championships... if you had your druthers...

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
fuzznut

Breed National Championships... if you had your druthers...

Post by fuzznut » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:05 pm

If you were king of your breed club and could dictate when your National Field Championships would be.....

would you want them in the fall?
Would you rather have them in the spring?
Would you want them to rotate around the US?
Would you want them in one spot in the US?

If you decide to pick any of the above, can you take a paragraph and tell why.

If you participate but don't care one way or the other... tell us that too.

If you don't participate at all .... you can just ignore the questions. Thanks
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

original mngsp

Re: Breed National Championships... if you had your druthers...

Post by original mngsp » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:36 pm

Best to be in the fall. Granted most dogs at Nationals go away with pros and can be south getting ready at winter camp, but there still are some very competitive amateurs that keep and work their dogs themselves. A spring national, especially an early spring one, makes it tough to get a dog from the north ready.

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:04 pm

Wild bird venue (Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, ?), same place or rotate - no matter, fall or spring is fine - if I had to pick I'd say early fall as it usually brings heat/conditioning more into the mix. Give me the reins, we'll get 'er on the schedule. :wink: :D

ultracarry
GDF Junkie

Post by ultracarry » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:35 am

DGFavor wrote:Wild bird venue (Idaho, Montana, Dakotas, ?), same place or rotate - no matter, fall or spring is fine - if I had to pick I'd say early fall as it usually brings heat/conditioning more into the mix. Give me the reins, we'll get 'er on the schedule. :wink: :D

I just want to run my dog there.. what trial is that?

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:13 pm

Fall trials can get hot around here but late fall is really nice. They don't run many late fall trials here, they say bird season interferes with them. I'd like to see them change places every year. I'd think about going the the Red Setter futurity with my pup, it's nominated but it's a long expensive trip from here. Wild birds would be great but doesn't sound like most places have the wild bird population to do it. I don't know of anywhere in Ore or Wash that has enough. I've heard the Anderson Ranch in Wash has wild birds but I've never seen one on it recently. Same with the Conley Ranch and the Buckhorn Ranch. Birds are way to low to do wild birds only. All the ranch's hosting trials supplement with game farm birds.

I think in fairness the grounds should rotate around the country. Very well known places are simply to far away for a lot of people to enter. And the grounds different than what we have local and probably take getting used to for dogs out of rthw area. Long trip for a lot of people, cost of the trip would keep me away, we don't all have a lot of money to spend.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!