NSTRA Amatuer Field Trial

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:40 am

Mid-Atlantic NSTRA is holding a field trial on January 27, 2013 at Marshtown Preserve in Dover, DE. I just recieved email about this trial, so if you are interested, I can get you in contact with the person in charge of this trial.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:42 am

This trial closes on Monday for entry. Contact me for more information and premium list. Thanks

Luisia02

Re: NSTRA Amatuer Field Trial

Post by Luisia02 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:50 pm

Do you have to shoot the birds or are there gunners? I am not a hunter but my dogs are trained to be steady to wing and shot. Do the dogs have to retrieve? I was thinking about going just to become educated and maybe I would enter a dog.

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:08 pm

Yes, as far as I know there are gunners so the handler only has to worry about their dog. Retrieving is actually from what I've been told, a major part of this test and a reason more people do this test over AKC field trials.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:25 pm

I've never heard of gunners at a Shoot to Retrieve event - maybe just in the USA? :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:31 pm

Most guys shoot for them selves but I have seen gunners that go out with the handlers.

fuzznut

Post by fuzznut » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:16 pm

I went to watch a NSTRA trial last week here in Florida, and asked the same question. Yes, you can have a designated gunner. I rode with one of the judges and asked a whole lot of questions,and he graciously answered them all for me.

In this instance a gentlemen walked his dog, and a young fellow toted the gun and did all the shooting. The dogs don't need to be steady to fall, they must retrieve and do so quick and snappy. Lots of rules that are kind of different until you get used to them I think. There are points awarded for lots of things... high points wins!

It looked fun... maybe one of these days I'll enter!
Fuzz
Home of NAFC/DC Ariel's Justa Gotta Go Now- 2010 AKC Gun Dog 1 hr. CH R/U
http://germanwirehair.blogspot.com/

Luisia02

Post by Luisia02 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:40 am

I may go check this event out. I don’t feel confident entering since I am not sure if my dog will retrieve. :O

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:50 pm

I don't have a clue what these tests are all about. I recently handled my dog to a NAVHDA UT Prize 1 201, so I think he can handle it. I guess I'll get the run down when I show up that day.

Luisia- if you want to train sometime, just let me know. I have been working on retrieving with my dog since the day I bought him. I've also met some good people in the retriever world. Hope to see you at the test. I own Jäger.

birddog1968
GDF Junkie

Post by birddog1968 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:13 pm

Its unfortunate it was made an amateur, that excludes anyone that has a dog with placements in Open from running.....Starting a new chapter back up and being exclusionary isn't what I would expect. If it was an open everyone could be included.

Anyone doesn't understand the format go to the NSTRA website and look at the rules and regs.
The second kick from a mule is of very little educational value - from Wing and Shot.

Hunters Pale Rider

Hunters Branch Jalapeno

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:55 pm

Running Order is out. I run at 8:10, second brace. See everyone entered Sunday

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:57 pm

It's a bit unfortunate that you are running so early in the day, as you won't be able to watch many braces before running your own. You might have a tough time watching the brace preceding yours, as you'll be getting your dog ready and will also need to be back in a waiting area while the field is stocked for your brace.

I went from NAVHDA to my first NSTRA trial several months after the Invitational. I didn't find the transition too difficult, although you're not going to find many steady dogs in NSTRA. My strategy in my first brace was to let the dog go and hope for the best, and it turned out pretty well for us. You need to carry your gun broken open or with the chamber open. Safeties can be called in a situation where you're not comfortable shooting due to the positioning of the gallery, judges, brace mate, adjacent bird field, etc. You'll get a score for retrieves sacrificed during safeties; study the rule book and ask a lot of questions prior to the brace so that you understand as much as possible. While style doesn't matter in NAVHDA, the NSTRA judges will reward you for it. Points are scored on intensity, style, staunchness. Creeping will cost you. Retrieves are scored highest when the dog is straight out and straight back, doesn't mouth the bird too much, and delivers to hand. If you happen to be close to the brace mate when it locks on point, and your dog is a reliable backer, steer him or her in to the pointing dog and take the back as that will earn you some points. (Only one back is scored, so once you get one, don't waste time on a second....) You'll typically need at the very least a 4/4 (four points, four retrieves) to secure a top-three placement, and that's assuming your dog gets high scores for obedience and ground coverage.

My advice for your first run would be to head to the downwind side of the field, and then trust your dog's nose after that. Birds are placed one in each quarter of the field, with a fifth set near the center of the field, but there are sometimes leftover birds from previous braces, or one that flies in from the adjacent bird field, so you can come across them anywhere. If you see your bracemate take a bird in one corner of the field, it's obviously best to concentrate on the remaining three quarters as you chances of finding a bird there are better. Your thirty minutes will go by very fast, chances are that all five birds will be taken in the first ten or fifteen minutes, but continue to hunt hard until the judge yells that time is up, as you might find the straggler that you need to put your score over the top.

Enjoy your weekend. You'll return home rich in new friends and most likely with a smile on your face.

You'll find most of the NSTRA folks to be as friendly and helpful as the NAVHDA crowd, but the element of competition does seem to bring out the worst in a very small minority, so be prepared for that. I'm guessing you'll find plenty of seasoned NSTRA people who will be more than happy to steer you in the right direction

Gooseman07

Post by Gooseman07 » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:19 pm

Well, it was a chilly morning on the Delmarva, but we stayed warm searching for birds. Like I mentioned previously, I ran the second brace. We found 2 birds and had retrieves on both. I had the opportunity to back the other dog and my boy just totally blew him off and eventually stole the point and the bird flushed. I think the other dog ended up getting points for the find. I ended up leaving to deal with a family thing thinking that I had done very poorly and was very frustrated. My family thing didn't take long so I went back to the trial to see how I really did and get lunch. When I returned, everyone there said that I was in the lead. Well, long story short, they ran the other half of the braces after I returned and I ended up in 3rd place. Not bad for a first time NSTRA attendee with a dog that still needs work. I met some great people, some who I will end up training with this year in my further quest. I'm a happy camper and so is my boy.

jasonw99

Post by jasonw99 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:41 pm

Gooseman07 wrote:I don't have a clue what these tests are all about. I recently handled my dog to a NAVHDA UT Prize 1 201, so I think he can handle it. I guess I'll get the run down when I show up that day.

Luisia- if you want to train sometime, just let me know. I have been working on retrieving with my dog since the day I bought him. I've also met some good people in the retriever world. Hope to see you at the test. I own Jäger.

They arent tests, They are a competitions. Find birds, retrieve birds. Typically a 40 acre field. 5 birds dog against dog. Majority of Points based on the find, retrieve, back. Dog has to be steady to the flush.

Dont take it lightly i have seen finished dogs come unglued. THere is pressure a dog doesnt experience in a hunt test.