Scored vs Judged

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
ckfowler

Scored vs Judged

Post by ckfowler » Tue Aug 03, 2004 3:46 pm

New on this board though I see some familiar names! Getting things together for our fall schedule (UFTA, Ohio) and looking at how much time, $$, and effort to put into other forums, pros and cons, etc. Trials are a game, practice for hunting, and extension of the season for me (spayed Scout) so the weight of the title or bettering the rest of the breed are not an issue. What do you find in each forum that advances the rest of your hunting?
Colin

Rubyspal

Post by Rubyspal » Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:15 am

Hey, Let us know when the trail will be and where. I would be interested in attending to watch and learn. I live in SW Ohio and have a pointing lab.
Thanks.
Pat

WildRose

Post by WildRose » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:46 am

as far as I know UFTA doesn't schedule any events in my area. I've had quite a bit of interest though from NSTRA folks each of the last two years buying dogs, and I've been highly encouraged by some of them to get involved. My road trip north seems to be conflicting with any trials this fall but I plan to hit the W. Tx and Oklahoma NSTRA regions pretty hard in the spring. I've really been encouraged by the freindly nature and welcoming attitudes of the NSTRA people I've talked to in our area including their National President who lives just a hundred miles south of me. I realize all organizations are groups of individuals and you will find good and bad in any national organization, but overall I'd say NSTRA is by far the most open and freindly of all of them that I've run into other than the AKC hunt test folks.

In certain areas NAVHDA chapters seem to have some of the very same and same sorts of people involved so if you have a versatile breed I'd certainly suggest looking there as well.

Any time you can get involved with like minded people promoting the shooting and gun dog sports you are doing good not only for yourself but the next generation of hunters as well. CR
There's a reason I like dogs better'n people

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:38 am

NSTRA is a nice blend of scoring rewarding bird production with judged scores for style, obedience, and ground cover. UFTA and NBDCA have no forum for judging the quality of the dog's performance and for the dog, the focus is entirely on the ability to find and retrieve birds but they add a component rewarding the shooter's skills. NSTRA doesn't care if it takes you 3 shots to bring down a bird but in NBDCA or UFTA, each shell costs you points. For these team scored events, if your dog lacks ground coverage or obedience, it costs you points by needing longer time instead of someone's opinion of these. I have and will continue to play in both as I enjoy the company, the time with my dog, and watching others. I don't plan to win much, just have a respectable showing and practice chasing the increasingly rare local wild birds.
Colin

sdgord

scored vs judged

Post by sdgord » Fri Aug 20, 2004 6:20 pm

Hi Colin, just my two cents. I really like the AKC hunt test venue, partly beacuse there are more of them close enough for me to attend. The more advanced tests SH and MH are closer to a real hunt situation. Those two tests will let you know in a hurry which area of training you need to work on. I would like to get involved with NSTRA also but distance and time seem to be the barrier.SDGORD

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:25 pm

Colin,

I'm just getting involved in some hunts that are simular but with slightly different scoring than your UFTA trials. A group called Illinois Upland sponsors them. It seems that the interest is high and more and more people with good hunting dogs are getting involved. I sure like the idea of competeing with other dogs and other hunters with out the pressure to win.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.