National Champion English Setter

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
jimssetters

National Champion English Setter

Post by jimssetters » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:25 pm

I must be looking for info in the wrong place. Can anyone tell me who and what year the last last year an English Setter went to and won in Ames?

klewis

Re: National Champion English Setter

Post by klewis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:47 pm

I could be wrong but i think 1970 or 71.

dan v

Post by dan v » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Johnny Crockett....1970
Dan

klewis

Post by klewis » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:51 pm

guess ididnt read first post very well last setter to win natl. johnny crocket

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:26 pm

That was the last i found i thought i was looking in the wrong place. That is one heck of a dry spell.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:17 am

http://www.birddogfoundation.com/national_champions.htm

This is the link of the national champions. I will try to go through it and pick the setters out. Someone who's been around setters longer may have to help.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:59 am

I just now saw the post from Wyndancer you already have the answer. Here's a little more information on the dog.

When Johnny Crockett won the event in 1970, Boy Dog (as he was called) was owned by H. P. “Hank’ Sheeley of Irving, Texas. The stylish English Setter was handled by W. C. Kirk of Bowie, Texas. Over 25 years ago in American Field, K. C. Kirk was quoted saying, “When ‘Boy’ captured the National Champion in 1970 - the only setter to win that glorious crown since 1946 - it was one of the greatest moments in my life.” since 1946 - it was one of the greatest moments in my life.” That year American Field writer William F. Brown’s reported on the Championship. Of Johnny Crockett, he wrote: H

klewis

Post by klewis » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:41 am

pointing dog journal had a 2 part interview with w.c.kirk in jan/feb. march/april issues,very good read if anyone is interested. sorry those are 2010 issues.

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:43 am

gotpointers wrote:I just now saw the post from Wyndancer you already have the answer. Here's a little more information on the dog.

When Johnny Crockett won the event in 1970, Boy Dog (as he was called) was owned by H. P. “Hank’ Sheeley of Irving, Texas. The stylish English Setter was handled by W. C. Kirk of Bowie, Texas. Over 25 years ago in American Field, K. C. Kirk was quoted saying, “When ‘Boy’ captured the National Champion in 1970 - the only setter to win that glorious crown since 1946 - it was one of the greatest moments in my life.” since 1946 - it was one of the greatest moments in my life.” That year American Field writer William F. Brown’s reported on the Championship. Of Johnny Crockett, he wrote: H
I remember at the time he was talking about keeping Boy in the house and that was a big No-No at that time. Most thought that would ruin a good dog. Probably a real break through moment in trialing.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

bigoak

Post by bigoak » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:59 pm

I have noticed that while the National has three judges, are any of them a setter person? If its a pointer and setter trial,in all fairness you would think one of the judges would be a setter guy.....vern

jimssetters

Post by jimssetters » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:08 pm

Thanks for the info. I think it is about time someone steps up and kicks some pointer butt. Not sure who or when but this cant last forever.

gotpointers

Post by gotpointers » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:26 am

ezzy333 wrote:
gotpointers wrote:I just now saw the post from Wyndancer you already have the answer. Here's a little more information on the dog.

I remember at the time he was talking about keeping Boy in the house and that was a big No-No at that time. Most thought that would ruin a good dog. Probably a real break through moment in trialing.

Ezzy
I'm glad some of them figured out that a dog that likes them handles better.
This is my house dog.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.