great trial!!!

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
larue

great trial!!!

Post by larue » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:35 pm

I just want to let all of you guys know about how classy the
inland empire trial at fish trap in washington was.
I judged both the open gundog,and the am limited gundog
stakes,with 18 dogs in each stake.
I have never watched as many dogs in a stake who did such a nice job in stakes
The top 8 dogs could have been awarded a 1st place,with very,very little separating the top 8.
The limited was even better,with a performance by the winning dog that could have placed in eureka.
Then on saturday the club feeds us with fresh in the shell oysters,
jumbilyia,crab legs, salmon,great wine,along with more food.
It was a tough trial to judge,as all the dogs did a great job,with small tiny things separating them.
The standard was set,in my eyes as in how to put on a trial.
If any of you ever have the chance to run in there trials do it,you will have a great time.

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:56 pm

Great...Talk about pressure.
Then on saturday the club feeds us with fresh in the shell oysters,
jumbilyia,crab legs, salmon,great wine,along with more food.
I feel bad just serving up good roasted chicken legs and the maid-rite sandwiches just can't compare.

In all seriousness it sounds like it was a great trial and that's always a good thing to run into. Kudos to The Inland Empire GSPC!!

See you tommorrow night at the grounds.

rschuster54303`

Post by rschuster54303` » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:07 am

Glad to see you made it back safely Larue :D

Do they have a web site? Just curious who won what :lol:

Chris I see they are predicting a high of near 80 tomorrow on weather.com are your local weather people saying any different?

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:07 am

upper 70's or low 80's seem to be consistant.

wannabe

Post by wannabe » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:57 pm

It's too bad they don't have any trials like that in the mid-west. We're lucky to have 4 clean dogs after 9 braces. :(
Soggy Bottom Kennels
Home of:
Soggy Bottom's Dapper Dan
Belly Acres Whinehard
Soggy Bottom's Juicy Butte
Soggy Bottom's Bonafide
Soggy Bottom's Col. Angus

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Thu Apr 13, 2006 11:34 pm

Sheesh Dennis - Didn't you notice it was raining buckets and gale winds were blowing our hats off? A really good club would have arranged better weather... Seriously, they are a bunch of genuinely nice folks just glad to have the excuse of running dogs to get everyone together for a great time.

It was great to have you out and I know everyone appreciated your efforts. Lets get you back out to a course where we can let some dogs roll...that place makes me claustrophobic!

Don't listen to Dan, the weather wasn't my fault...curious that it cleared up as soon as I left though.

Happy trialing,
Doug Favor
www.hbv.netkennel.com

larue

Post by larue » Sat Apr 15, 2006 7:34 pm

doug,yeah it was raining,which I HAD already forgot,but I do remember watching scully tear the grounds apart.
I actually enjoyed the training on the blm land on wild birds after the trial,as much.Simon,and hank just went out and handled wild bird after wild bird.
I just returned from judgeing and running at the min trial,
nice trial,but I miss the open country.
I put my simon pup on the ground,she ran through the parking lot 3 times,I think, on her way from one side of the course to the other,we did not see her much on the course.
I wanted an hour dog,I think I got a 3 hour plus dog.

I hope to come out there and run a few dogs,But I will have to wait until evil eva is broke,and talk a buddy who just loves great dogs and great food to drive out with me,maybe not next fall,but the following so we can hunt our way out,say nd,and then montana,then on to spokane.

Did big bob ever get his truck fixed?

original mngsp

Post by original mngsp » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:32 pm

Dennis

I agree with you open country is much more enjoyable, but you make do with the area. I still think when I grow up I want to move out to Montana or ND by Alan, lots more space with way fewer people and more birds.

Thanks again for coming out to judge. We enjoyed having you look at some of our local hounds. I few of the FT skeptics, yes we have a few in this club, seemed pretty impressed with the knowledge you brought to the saddle.

I'm glad you made it home safe, I was home mysel by about 7:15.

I'll post a complete trial report within a day or two.

larue

Post by larue » Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:00 am

chris,I agree,we do the best we can,with the grounds we have.
The grounds you have at kelly farms really test a dogs ability to turn,and to be good.My max loved the grounds,his kind of place.
We had some very nice runs,I liked some dogs alot,some dogs that did not get around,and some that did.
Your kill on course
added alot to the trial,it is a very classy way to get the retrieveing done.My thanks and respect to all the gunners who walked so many braces.
I will be at crow haskins in may,so I will probably see you then.

Maverick

Post by Maverick » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:58 am

Sounds like a great weekend!! I have really just started running the AKC and American Field Trials and have lots to learn but I am having a great time with it so far.
Now I need a horse, a trailer and a new truck to haul it all.
My wife is scared I am gonna just go out and get it all.. :lol:
I look forward to hearing more about all your field trials.

If you follow this link you can see some pictures from my trial in Ionia MI last weekend.
http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictu ... 2107495022

Mav....

DGFavor
GDF Junkie

Post by DGFavor » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:20 pm

Sounds like great fun Dennis - glad you got to go out and see some country and birds.

I beelined it from Fishtrap to the NW Chukar Open SD championship at Milepost 9. My buddy and I had 3 entries in a whopping 12 dog championship stake and thought odds were in our favor to get a piece of it...not. Sadly we lost his pointer after two nice pieces of for real, high in the rocks, horse killin' native chukar finds. Our second dog had a cool sage hen find that, at the shot, for some reason, she decided to walk up, sniff the spot it flushed from, turn and run off to the front! That took all of 7". My dog had a nice find on a native pair of chukar above "chukar rocks", a STF on another pair right off the trail, then made a huge swing to the front to never be seen again. After 20" of going to front, the judge convinced me the dog was behind so we picked up Tracker, went back to where they thought dog was, then tracked him down to the front where the judge was walking him off the hill on his rein...??? Doh!! There are so many ways to screw this game up and I'm managing to do them all.

Getting our game faces on now for the Reg. 9 Am. SD in a couple weeks - looks like we'll have plenty of sharpies out there. I guess I've still got the Reg. 9 NGSPA before that back at Milepost 9. Plenty of opportunity left for more suffering and misery!

Doug Favor
www.hbv.netkennel.com

pttrrff

Post by pttrrff » Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:22 pm

Nice to hear about an enjoyable trial. Your statement regarding a 3 plus hour dog is ridiculous.

larue

Post by larue » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:14 am

pttrrff,no whats ridiculous is your comment,on a dog you have never watched.I have owned her for almost two years,
and I am always amazed by her power and drive.
I watched her father and her brother,and a half brother run for over an hour off horseback on rough blm land,on wild birds.
When done at the trailer,they were not even breathing hard.
And this was in the 60's and other dogs with us where tired at 15.
At 9 months she lapped us at branched oaks,she is all run for
30 minutes,and then she begins to hunt.
I asked the guy who knows the most about her breeding,
on how to get her to slow down,and his suggestion was to run her in training for 3 hours or more at a time to get her to pace herself,
a great idea,but I wonder how many times around pine island that is?She is already running the grounds twice or three times,while I ride it once(on a fast horse).
Thanks for your disbelief,but she will make a believer out of anyone who watches her run,as far as her race is concerned.

pttrrff

Post by pttrrff » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:37 am

Larue,
You are right, I shouldn't comment on a dog that I've not seen, or only seen a limited number of times. I was at Branched Oaks the time you talking about. A performance in a walking trial doesn't mean the dog is ready for hour chamionships, but it sounds like you have a great one on your hands and you need to make space at home for hour championship trophies.