GSP Club of Middle TN Hunt Test This Weekend

NAVHDA, AKC, NSTRA
Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

GSP Club of Middle TN Hunt Test This Weekend

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:43 pm

All,

I'm about to punch out of here headed up to Nashville for the GSP Club of Middle TN Hunt Test.

We'll be running our V for his 2nd and possibly 3rd leg of SH. We're also very excited to be running our little GSP from Brenda's Rick's Fritz for the very first time.

I'll report in this thread when I get a chance.

Keep your fingers crossed for us!

Best regards,

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:00 pm

Good Luck Greg!!!

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:34 pm

SH is a tougher one, best o fluck up there. (kinda funny to say UP about TN for a yankee :lol: )
Colin

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Preliminary Report

Post by Greg Jennings » Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:34 pm

Hi All,

So, at half-time, the score stands: 2 runs, 2 passes, 2 pretty orange ribbons.

Nav, running in his second SH brace stood MH-ish on this first find, but broke down to SH standards on the second find. We ran as a buy-dog for the one MH dog and he again broke down to SH standards on his one find there.

Gunner, running in his very first JH brace had 4 finds and made us all very proud.

With this pass, Nav is 2 passes away from SH with 1 run tomorrow and 2 more hunt tests planned for the year. Gunner is 1 for 1 and could be half-way tomorrow.

Didn't meet the dog, but saw that one of Gunner's litter mates is running in the event: Gamble's Eastend GTO "Judge".

More, including pictures, tomorrow night,
Last edited by Greg Jennings on Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:27 pm

Hey Greg...Good luck tomorrow, congrats on your runs. We just got in from a 12 hour drive from Fla. Would not be so bad but we did not leave until 11:00. The guy that has your dogs littermate is Jeff Morris.
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

2nd Day Report

Post by Greg Jennings » Sun Feb 27, 2005 7:43 pm

All,

After a truly stunning beginning of his 3rd run in SH, my V-boy found the temptation of a low and slow pen bird flying across in front of him too much to bear. While I knew this was his weakness, the judges were shocked: "That is a *really* nice dog. We thought he could do no wrong". So, we're 2 for 3; need two more passes and have 4 attempts scheduled to do it.

Gunner's 2nd run in JH was really amazing. He found six birds and covered the bird field like a nuclear-powered vacuum cleaner. He continues to stun me with his ability to find birds...he finds them where other dogs don't. The judges scored him straight 9's. There were no 10's given. Everyone commented on what a great run he had.

http://www.gundogforum.com/forum/album_ ... b5e929.jpg

This was a great test. I'll post a review tomorrow.

Best regards,

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:33 pm

Congrats! Always proud Grandparents! Keep up the great work!
brenda

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 10:50 pm

Sounds like a great time was had and you got a great picture too.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:23 am

Way to go guys!

portsider44

Post by portsider44 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 am

Congrats on your weekend.

Love the picture, but it looks like your V is a little upset about sharing his photo opt with Gunner. He has that "what is he doing in my photo" look.

ckfowler

Post by ckfowler » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:34 pm

Way to go and good luck in the next legs!
Colin

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:36 pm

Grant, you ready to take the plunge with Belle and Kage?
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Hunt Test Review

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:40 pm

Introduction:
This is a review of the GSP Club of Middle Tennessee Hunt Test. Following the format of my previous reviews, I’ve included a section on how the hunt test was in a general sense and a second section on my personal lessons learned as an owner/handler.

The test was held Saturday and Sunday, February 26-27, 2005 at the Percy Priest Wildlife Management Area Field Trial Grounds in LaVergne, TN. LaVergne is a few miles Southeast of Nashville and the grounds are quickly and easily accessed from I-24. There are hotels, restaurants and entertainment to suit a broad range of preferences within a short drive.

Facilities:
The Percy Priest WMA Field Trial facilities are absolutely wonderful. The facilities include a club house with kitchen and bathrooms, two stables and 30 kennels. My only complaint is that the parking area could use grading and another load of gravel.

Course:
The course for all classes was course-and-bird field. MH and SH ran the same course in the same allotted 30 minutes. The course was long enough that we didn’t have to putter to arrive in the bird field with too much time left. In JH, 20 minutes were allotted, the course was shortened and the bird field expanded. This served to give the JH dogs more time in the field and more opportunity to find a bird. The course started with tall, thick cover but at least 75% of the course gave good visibility. I would have preferred more open ground for the breakaway but, overall, I was extremely happy. One nit is that I would have liked to see watering troughs of clean water at a couple of locations on the course.

Birds:
The birds were good, plentiful and were well-planted. They were a few birds that could have been stronger flyers. I feel that this is an area that most every hunt test could pay more attention to. I sometimes wonder if we should just give up on quail and run on chukars.

Officials:
The Hunt Test Secretary was Melanie Boer. She was very responsive in getting a premium to me, notifying me of receiving my registration and fielding questions about my braces. Melanie is a member of both the GSP Club and the local Weim Club. She was actually running the event, her first, as a member of the Weim Club to get experience in order to get an AKC certification for the Weim Club.

The gunners did very well for me in my Saturday SH brace. I also ran my dog as a buy-dog in a MH brace Saturday. In that brace, the gunners let the dog down. Sunday, I picked my dog up, so I didn’t get to evaluate the other set of gunners. Overall, it’s an area for improvement.

My judging both days was fantastic. I can’t say enough good things about them. If you are putting on a hunt test, you should consider giving them a call.

I want to make a point here to those that attend hunt tests and those that put them on. The responsiveness of the Hunt Test Secretary is a critical factor in determining if the entrants are happy and satisfied….and what they’re saying about your club for the next year.

Summary:
This was a great hunt test. All their tests and trials are now on my list.

Lessons Learned:

Done Well:
I created a notebook with maps, phone numbers, etc. before the test. I also reviewed my lessons learned from previous trials.

Stupidities:
In my SH run Sunday, I mishandled my dog by not getting him in to back the other dog. I was concerned about calling my dog disturbing the other dog, flushing the bird, etc. This created a possibility for my dog to interfere with the other dog’s retrieve; Bad form. What actually happened was that it set up the situation where the bird flew low and weak in front of my dog creating a temptation that was too much for him. Oh, well, it was a great retrieve.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:51 pm

snips wrote:Grant, you ready to take the plunge with Belle and Kage?
Absolutely! Hopefully I can get the cash together. I got a call from AL. NSTRA with two openings last weekend, but I just couldn't afford it. I still owe some money for a gun too. I've been talking Lindsay's ear off about gunner, its eating me up! He looks real good! We're just letting gunner get a head start. I know of two liver pups (kage and chug) that are going to upset a little liver and white pup! =) hahahahahah Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist. lol =)

Seriously, I don't have the money for entry fees. Thats why I went hunting instead. It's killing me to get out there though...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:32 pm

Gotcha! Well, birds is birds! We`re aiming for Darbys in SC. I`ll get Chugs feet wet. Time for some come work so I can catch him. Did someone say I was a dog trainer? :oops: Chugs last adventure was pulling the cable out of the ground that goes to the satilite dish on the back kennel. He went running across the yard with it breaking it. Cable people have been out 4 times trying to fix it. :evil:
brenda

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:00 pm

Hi Brenda,

I'm already signed up for the Darby's March 26-27. I hope to see you there.

Grant, how about going on peanut butter and jelly to save the entry fees for the Darby's? It would be great to have a reunion.

Best,

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:52 pm

I'll probably do it. I've had lots of web work coming my way. I busted tail on them, and now I'm just waiting on checks to come in the mail. I'll pay off the gun, give the lady some, and put some towards the kids hunt tests.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:09 pm

Greg,

Maybe to save some money, your 3, myself, and Lindsay could all stay in Rick and Brenda's RV!? Think they'd like the company? =) It'd really be a reunion then huh?

B, can da RV sleep 8 + dogs?

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:54 pm

WHeww, that would be cozy! Thats the only place we have that no dogs are allowed, not even Rip. He is mad every time we camp.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:08 pm

Pooooooooooor Rip! Y'all should be ashamed! Shame, shame, shame =) :D

ward myers

hunt test

Post by ward myers » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:44 pm

GREG
the tampabay visula club
has a hunt test here in florida march 19 & 20
i have my pup entered in the SH both days

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:53 am

Ward,

Cooolllll!!!! Make those red dogs watch your shorthair's butt the whole course!

I really like SH. I think it proves something that is relevant to the foot hunter. My only major gripe about the process is pen-raised quail.

I'm running my first NSTRA trial here in Montgomery with my V-dog that Saturday, or I'd come down to watch.

Best regards,

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:00 am

grant wrote:Greg,

Maybe to save some money, your 3, myself, and Lindsay could all stay in Rick and Brenda's RV!? Think they'd like the company? =) It'd really be a reunion then huh?

B, can da RV sleep 8 + dogs?
OMG!!! At some point, my desire for sleep overcomes my desire to save money!!

Best regards,

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:53 am

:D