Blank Pistols

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Blank Pistols

Post by Greg Jennings » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:58 am

I'm looking for a quality blank pistol that fires shotgun primers.

Does anyone have any opinions about what brand is quality and sources, particularly online?

Best regards,

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:07 am

I bought this gun and I don't like it:

http://www.gundogsupply.com/kitrblpi.html

It did fine for a while. For some reason, the pin is puncturing the primer. After one shot, you have to wrestle it loose. I've cleaned the gun, but I'm still getting the same result. I might just buy a cheapo'

Grant

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:36 am

Check out LCS. I bought the $ 58 model.
It has a mans sizes grip and it works every time you pull the trigger.
Loud,though.
Best.
Greg

birddog

Post by birddog » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:15 am

I found a used NEF 22 and love it. I buy the blank's, or what ever they are called, used in nail gun's. You get a lot more for the money and they work just as well.
Janet

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 20, 2005 8:56 am

birddog wrote:I found a used NEF 22 and love it. I buy the blank's, or what ever they are called, used in nail gun's. You get a lot more for the money and they work just as well.
Janet

My dearest Janet:
Please, please do not use cartridges that were designed to drive nails in any blank gun. I had the misfortune to end up with a cracked frame on a regular .22 pistol by using the blanks you are using . cheaper yes,but for a different purpose.
Becareful,least wise until I get a chance to meet you :P
Best, Greg.

birddog

Post by birddog » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:12 am

See, we are never to old to learn! I will listen and change back to the cartridge made for my NEF. Thanks, Janet

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:18 am

You are welcome...
Greg

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:45 pm

SPEAKING of blank guns...

I have a Mondial Model 999 .22 caliber blank pistol that my grandfather gave me (found it in a closet, thinks he got it from a yard sale sometime). When the hammer is not cocked, the cylinder spins freely. When I pull the trigger, though, it always rotates the cylinder to a proper position for firing.

What worries me about it is.. what if the cylinder rotates to a blank that has already been fired, and consequently pops it again? Then I'd have no boom. Is it common for the cylinder to spin freely when the hammer isn't cocked?

On the chance that I need to get a new blank gun, are there any suggestions as to what a good buy would be? I surely don't need a professional quality (and professional priced) one. I will use it for hunt tests and training, and I've only got one dog right now, and I'm on a budget being still in school. If I need to get a new one, should I look for a .32 caliber, or is .22 just fine?

EDIT: Oh! One more thing: the pistol I have does NOT have the little orange plug. Is that a requirement?
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:53 pm

Let me say first that the orange cap in front of the muzzle is there to keep the rod that is used for extracting the spent blanks from falling out and getting lost on some models. Not needed forany thing else.
Secondly. The cylinder to your blank gun was disigned that way. If it spins on a blank that has already been fired ,pull the trigger again to fire the next blank in the cylinder. My Italian made primer blank pistol is designed same as yours and I dod not have any problems with it spinning back or forword on spent blanks. Save your money .
Best.
Greg

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:02 am

This thing does say "made in Italy" so I'm sure it's similar to yours. Thanks for the design/operation tip! Also, now that it has gone through the washing machine it's cleaner than ever! :( (left it in my carhartt overalls pocket - good excuse to get a holster now)

I don't think the washer hurt the operation though. It still seems to function ok. I'll still give it a good cleaning over with some Hoppes or Rem Oil though, then give it a few test-fires to make sure.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:29 am

No problem with the gun going through the washer. I use soap and water to clean the barrels of my muzzle loaders by submeging the niple end in a bucket of cold water to pump water and soap in to the barrels. I also drop the action or the side locks or both in boiling water to clean the crud and grime that collects after a years use in the field before I put them a way for the season .I also use the same method to clean powder residue from my skeet and SC guns. The trick is to air dry them immediately after boiling or submerging and to use a light drop of quality gun oil ( such as 3 in one or Singer sewing machine oil )on all moving parts. If By chance you suspect rust. take the gun a part and soak all of the parts in plain old karosine for a week to ten day. Whipe the rust, if any remained, with a course cloth,then boil.blow dry (hair dryer set at high temp works great) and oil. Your wash machined pistol will work better than new.....
Have fun.
Greg

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:59 pm

Hey Greg,

I got the $58 model from Lion Country and am very happy with it. Thank you for the recommendation.

It is louder and has a totally different sound. My family likes it because when they're waiting at the bird field for us, they can tell when I shoot on the back course.

Best,

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:56 pm

I think I have the same 58 dollar model 209 primer gun? If so I found that it can be a bit tempemnetal on what make of primer it likes. I found that the Winchesters don't work as well. The fedrel and the CCCI worked great. by the way no rust on it but it is turning white after not being cleaned for the last 3 years! Out of the box and used and abused and still going. I think Timex makes it! Or the Energizer bunny! It has went past the money spent!

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:25 pm

Greg Jennings wrote:Hey Greg,

I got the $58 model from Lion Country and am very happy with it. Thank you for the recommendation.

It is louder and has a totally different sound. My family likes it because when they're waiting at the bird field for us, they can tell when I shoot on the back course.

Best,

You are welcome.
It is loud indeed..

Attach a lanyard to it so you don't end up loosing it, by taking off the grips and by drilling two 1/8" holesabout one inch apart on the very bottom of the grip frame. Run a nylon cord appropriate to the holes. Or you can drill and tap, and screw a bolt with a hole in it for the nylon lanyard. I made mine long enough to go over my shoulder as I am known to have lost more than my share....

Just an idea.
Best.Greg

Gregory

Post by Gregory » Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:45 pm

Tak.

What seems to be the problem when using the Win.209.I'm asking cuase I have a thousand or so rounds and I wont be buying any CCI's any time soon.
Best,Greg

ward myers

22 blanks

Post by ward myers » Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:16 pm

i have been using the cartriges
for the nail guns since 1980 in the same
22 pistol its a real pistol not a blank gun & never had a problem
the price is rite on cartriges as in free i have a friend that is head honcho at a masonary company he gives me all i want & i can vary the noise level by using lighter or heavier loads they are colour coded
i think i paid a hundred dollars for the pistol & i carry 22 rat shot in my pocket in case of snakes
best of all worlds here :shock: :D

snip

Post by snip » Thu Mar 03, 2005 7:04 am

We get 22 pistols here at Pawn shops for 20.00. Thats all I ever use. What I like about them is I can put crimps in them for starting a gun sensitive dog, then work up to 22 blanks. I think Primers are a little loud if you have any problem dogs. (which I get all kinds).

ward myers

cartridges

Post by ward myers » Thu Mar 03, 2005 6:51 pm

cartridges are way to go
you can vary noise by the the colour codes