Good info on E collar training

NH_GSP

Good info on E collar training

Post by NH_GSP » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:17 pm

Were will be my best place to start for info on e collar training?
Hank

TAK

Post by TAK » Wed Jan 26, 2005 7:27 pm

Books and video's would be a good start. The best is to get with someone that does train with one. There is also training seminars you can pay to go to...... Clubs are good places to look also!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:07 pm

This video in the store is a great video. It takes you from puppy to solid hunting companion.

http://www.gundogforum.com/store.php

Also perfection Kennels has a great video for ecollar:

http://perfectionkennels.com

larue

Post by larue » Wed Jan 26, 2005 8:19 pm

i would seek out a great pro,,a and I wuold look for a pro
who uses the ecollar,,and is a trial trainer,,as a trial dog cannot
lose stye around game,,and I would pay the trainer to collar condition the dog,,while you where right there watching,,
so not onlyy would your dog get a good start,but you would learn also,,but here is a important part,,when to start collar work is as important as how...let the pro help you decide when you should
start it..and let him explain why your dog is ready/not ready for the collar...

NH_GSP

Post by NH_GSP » Thu Jan 27, 2005 4:40 am

The video would be a good start, too bad it was DVD.

For all my resheach here, they is not a good trainer around me. Yes I have a hunting perserver close and they do offer services but, I feel that they are not very professinal.

So I need to do this mainly on my own. With the love of the dog and of the hunt, I will work it out.

Hank

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jan 27, 2005 8:24 am

They have both DVD and tape. =)

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:05 pm

I highly recomend the "Drahthaar Puppy Manual" you can get it at http://www.altmoor.com/catalog/BookVideo.html it is $14 and is very good. It was intended as a guide for the DD owner, but it has very good info for any of the versitle breeds. There is a section on ecollars too.

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:00 pm

larue wrote:i would seek out a great pro,,a and I wuold look for a pro
who uses the ecollar,,and is a trial trainer,,as a trial dog cannot
lose stye around game,,and I would pay the trainer to collar condition the dog,,while you where right there watching,,
so not onlyy would your dog get a good start,but you would learn also,,but here is a important part,,when to start collar work is as important as how...let the pro help you decide when you should
start it..and let him explain why your dog is ready/not ready for the collar...
Great POST!!!! "and is a Trial Trainer!!! As a trail dog can't loose style around game.""""

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:03 pm

There has to be some sort of Club... AKC, NSTRA, American Field, Nvhda....
Heck come out to Utah, its only a 10 min trip right!

larue

Post by larue » Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:27 pm

the reason i recommend a pro for collar conditioning,is very simple,,
no book,or video can evaluate your dog,,or its sublte reactions,,
or where it is at in its training,,or its matureity,,
More dogs have been damaged or ruined by the poor use,or
poor timing,or poor conditioning,,by an ecollar than any other
thing...
some dogs need a very carefull approach and what is perfect for one dog,is misuse on another...An ecollar is a very powerfull tool...
there are good reason's why many people hate ecollars..and it usually comes down to a dog being destroyed by ignorance..
I will say it again,,the first collar conditioing is the most important...
this conditioning will determine how,and if you can continue to use the collar,,or if your dog will point all of its style...or none..
here is a pic of blaze,,a dog who I screwed up,,with the collar,,and it took 2 years to correct my mistake...2 years lost...
becouse of my mistake...Image
blaze now understands the collar,,before he did not,,,and layed down becouse of my mistakes..I had to run blaze for 30 minutes
at a time and stop him once,,and pick him up 100 times,and give him time to get over my original mistakes,,he lost valuable trial time becouse of me...
just my experiences,,and my opinon....

NH_GSP

Post by NH_GSP » Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:34 pm

Now.......was Uath was a right or left after that rock?????

Hank

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:01 pm

Were will be my best place to start for info on e collar training?
Just dive in head-first to videos, books, and other gun dog folk’s knowledge. Take bits and pieces from all the resources and pick the one that fits you and your dog. Just go slow and don't take chances. Bell was my first trainee, and if she were a soft dog, I would have ruined her. I got lucky. If I had to learn e-collar over, I would start with the perfection kennel video. Also, like the others said, watching someone else train with an e-collar will really help....

TAK

Post by TAK » Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:25 pm

NH_GSP wrote:Now.......was Uath was a right or left after that rock?????

Hank

We are under the Rock!
Grant is right you jsut have to dive in and go from there but there is no substitution for hands on like Larue is explaining.
I can't rember how old the dog was but don't be rushed!Heck there is all summer to work this dog. Another bit of advice is learn how to handle a check cord first and how to get the dog to work on it and then transfer it to a collar.....