Good News

Ryan29

Good News

Post by Ryan29 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Lately, I have been a little skeptical at how my pup would take gunfire. Every semi truck that came by, and even when a parade came past our house she ran and hid when the drums from a band came through. There is however good news. I was shooting a .22 over her, and she just kept doing her thing like i wasn't doing anything, then, last week, I took her out goose hunting with me just to see how she acts when she's in a blind and has to lay still with birds over her. she did well, I didn't get any to land, but can't say i was really trying. at the end of the night, before closing, i walked about 100 yards away from her, and shot my 12 gauge into the sky, she looked to see what it was, then booked over to me and jumped on me and wanted to play. she thought it was a big game. I am very pleased. If I could just get her to be less stubborn, i'd have an awesome dog on my hands. Any suggestions on how to break her of being so stubborn and doing what i ask her?

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:03 pm

do you kennel her by herself? I noticed a big differemce in all of mine when I seperated them

Ryan29

Post by Ryan29 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:06 pm

She is my one and only dog. I try and try to get her to do as i ask, and it's almost as if she looks at me and says screw you. I keep her on a leash and pull her to me when i say here, i've got a shock collar, but she just seems to run further away from me.

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:08 pm

how old is she

Ryan29

Post by Ryan29 » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:25 pm

She is 7 months. I got her when she was 4 months old. been trying a little bit every day. usually two sessions of 30 minutes. there are some days, when i work both of my jobs, that i don't get to train with her, but those are few.

zdiddy

Post by zdiddy » Sun Sep 16, 2007 7:55 pm

she is probably in her independence phase. Dont pressure her to hard as I have learned the hard way alot of what you do to a dog at this phase will transend into the finished product. Refresh on OB that she knows and keep her in controllable situations for a few weeks. She will come around. PS I wouldnt let her sleep in the bed right now( if she does?). Remember you are the boss.... :)

Ryan29

Post by Ryan29 » Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:33 am

Thank you for all of your help. And no, she does not sleep in my bed. She sleeps in a kennel at night, due to her constant chewing and wondering around. She falls asleep right away anyway, and i rarely hear her at night moving around. She doesn't even wake me up to go to the bathroom!