NEW PUP-WHEN TO START TRAINING???

whiteruger

NEW PUP-WHEN TO START TRAINING???

Post by whiteruger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:49 pm

Ok Gunner is here & at 18 weeks we are working on manners mostly. With hunting season coming up how soon do we start any hunt training? He retrieves really good but usually won't bring anything back & if he does, wont drop it. He found a dead bird in the yard & was so proud, but wouldn't let use have it. We finally pried it out of his mouth, uch, it was rotten. He has pointed birds in the yard. Should we take him on a check cord when we take Ruger out?

KY Grouse Hunter

Post by KY Grouse Hunter » Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:54 pm

Take him out on a cord if you ask me and get him some exposure to wild birds.
Sally's Branch Duke
Sally's Branch Copper

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:55 pm

At 18 weeks I would take him out for walks and let him explore without a CC. He is too young and inexperienced to have negative experiences when he is just starting to discover why he is in the field. Spend some time doing your housebreaking and teaching the manners you want him to have but make the time in the field 100% fun for him till he has had some experience finding a few birds.

Ezzy
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Don
GDF Junkie

Post by Don » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:19 pm

Squirt got his first check cord at 7 weeks. He doesn't go out with out it. 1/4" x 10'. he's been wearing it for about a week and a half and doesn't pay it any attention. If I want to stop him from going to the road, I step on the cord and he turns. The few litter's I raised got check cords in the whelping box just as their eyes were opening and wore them until they were sold. By the time they were ready to start training, there was no fighting the cord. First time on the whoa post, when the cord got tight, they just stood still.

At 18wks. I'd take him on his own every trip for an hour or so. Put on the light weight check cord and leave your gun in the car. I would not put him down with a trained dog. Don't try to help him at all unless you can reach the cc or step on it.
Never set your dog up to fail - Delmar smith

The greatest room in the world is the room for improvement - William F. Brown

Some people think to much like people and not enough like dogs!

highcotton
GDF Premier Member!

Post by highcotton » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Someone once said "every time you get your puppy out of the pen you are teaching it something" I don't remember who it was that made that statement but I totally agree.

kninebirddog
GDF Premier Member!

Post by kninebirddog » Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:51 pm

Everything you do aids in what your pup will become

if you stucture things now to be fun exciteing games leaning towards te behavior you want down the road then when training time comes your pup will take to training much easier

What you allow a dog to do You Teach a dog to do

and Dogs do not grow out of behavior they grow into them

make things fun...make session short and fun

quality is more important then quantity

stay with in the parameters of a young pups mind
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or cow being stupid, I figure its a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorrance
If you feel like you are banging your head against the wall, try using the door.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:47 pm

Pups go through an imprint period between 8 and 20 weeks. Everything you expect them to be exposed to as an adult should be introduced during this period. If you don't take full advantage of this time, you may have some challenges in the future.

Not an expert, just sharing what I've found while researching. Myself, I started my pups at 5 weeks. The two I have are now 5.5 mos and progressing nicely.

Jay

whiteruger

Post by whiteruger » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:34 pm

We had some pheasant wings on a lunge line & he got so excited that he grabbed it before I could stop him & ran off so proud, but I couldn't catch him to get it back. Finally did so I put it away until I know what I am doing a little more. My husband always has trained the other dogs, but he is so busy with work right now. [ Homeland Security, 9-11 anniversary etc.]. He also is getting pretty good at coming when I call him but not the hubby? He was with just me for a week in the motor home before we came home so the hubby has only been around him in the evenings. He thinks he doesn't like him? I think he is just more bonded to me because I am with him 24-7. When he sees Ruger on point he will just charge by him to chase a bird, [ in the yard] should I not let him do that?