Confined Training Area

Youngblood

Confined Training Area

Post by Youngblood » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:48 am

I've got two English Pointers about a year old.They have started great and are pointing birds and holding.The problem I am having is trying to find different places to work them.I have been working them on a brushy ditch as much as possible.The problem is it isnt very wide and I feel that they arent getting enough variation in training.I would like to work them in as many situations as possible to give them a challenge ,but don't have the areas to do it.My question is will just working them on this ditch be sufficient to keep them on track.I also am open to any suggestions on how to vary their sessins with such a confined training area.

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Post by Ayres » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:25 pm

I notice you're from Seymour. That's not too far from Cham-bana, so I'd bet you're about a half-hour away from my place in Savoy. I've been looking into a place called:

Koeberlein's Hunting Preserve
Phone: 217-867-2310
www.windrivers-gsp.com
274 County Road 1400 E
Tolono, IL 61880

Chukar, Dove, Pheasant, Quail

I PM'd you a bit of info about it earlier too. Debbi Koeberlein runs the place and trials her dogs. I haven't become a member yet, but I have driven by the place a few times (it's on the way to my wife's school) and it looks very nice. I plan to become a member after the New Year. I've got an 8 mo. old vizsla pup, so if you're interested in running the dogs together sometime just drop me a line. I'm sure Justus would love it. (We could probably eventually even help each other out with training backing).
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:33 am

Sounds like a plan.I plan on sending both of my pups away in april for whoa training and to get accustomed to an ec.But until then I would like to get them on as many birds as possible.How far along is your pup in training?

Youngblood

Post by Youngblood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:47 am

Sounds like a plan.I plan on sending both of my pups away in april for whoa training and to get accustomed to an ec.But until then I would like to get them on as many birds as possible.How far along is your pup in training?

ezzy333
GDF Junkie

Post by ezzy333 » Fri Dec 24, 2004 2:44 am

Hey guys, bring them north and I'll run my Brit with them too. I think it would be good to find new challenges for them when ever you can. And running with other dogs is good also. You should have fun,

Ezzy

PS I can get you homers if you want them Youngblood. Steve got some a while back.
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=144
http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=207

It's not how many breaths you have taken but how many times it has been taken away!

Has anyone noticed common sense isn't very common anymore.

Youngblood

Sounds good

Post by Youngblood » Fri Dec 24, 2004 6:21 pm

Spunds good to me.I have a weird work schedule ,but if you both could figure out a day I could take one off with a personal day.I have thought about buying homers I just dont have a coop yet.

gsprescuewi

Post by gsprescuewi » Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:18 pm

Youngblood, personally I think if you keep them on live bird, any training situation is better then none. heck, I used to train my gsp in the basement all winter long on frozen bird, we'd play, find bird, she loved it, and at 12-1/2 now, she STILL loves this game! Good luck!