Homemade Launchers????

Robby

Homemade Launchers????

Post by Robby » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:11 pm

Hello, I've been reading up on the latest threads. There was mention of homemade launchers. Is there any instructions around as to how to build them?
I am really having troubles finding some pigeons to train with, so maybe I don't need to think about a launcher yet. However, I've spent quite some time, trying to figure out, how to make one myself, so thanks for any suggestions!

Michael

fitchjr

Post by fitchjr » Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:57 pm

http://www.gundogforum.com/resources/Re ... rPlans.pdf

here is a link how to make a manual launcher into a remote launcher, if thats what your looking for. i just finished mine and its pretty easy, just stay away from motorola radios.

SwitchGrassWPG

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:49 pm

Send me a PM with your email address and I'll give you some updated plans that eliminate the two way radio and replaces it with an actual remote.

Jay

Robby

Post by Robby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:15 am

Ok, what I actually was looking for was, how to make the launcher myself, a mechanical one, the whole thing, not just the trigger. Thing is, the mechanical ones don't seem to be available over here.

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:47 am

The manual launcher is a very simple device. Surf online and find a picture to work from. Prototype using wood. Use surgical tubing for the springs. When you're satisfied, replicate it using small steel rod, 1/4" wire mesh and a welder. If you like the surgical tubing use it, else use springs from storm doors.

Best regards, Greg J.

Robby

Post by Robby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:08 am

Thanks!

Dude

Post by Dude » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:26 am

I found this link real quick with google. Anybody familiar with it?

http://www.scottandjenn.com/etomite/index.php?id=23

I've also seen manual launchers cheaper than what the bill of material for that is though

Dude

Greg Jennings
GDF Junkie

Post by Greg Jennings » Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:44 am

I think that provides the basic idea. But, my gawd, those are heavily constructed. If I as using pigeons or quail, I'd try to make them smaller and lighter.

Two improvements that I would build in if I was doing it:

1. End-loading after the launcher is cocked. Just make a door on one end that you can open to put the bird into the cocked "trampoline" and close afterward. Look at a picture of the DT launchers for an example.

2. A semi-rigid strip 4" or so wide down the middle of the trampoline parallel to the long axis of the launcher. It keeps the bird from clawing at the trampoline material and then scooting out the end. I modified my Scotts launcher when I discovered this problem using some plastic mesh that I got at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. I just sewed it to the trampoline fabric with heavy thread. It worked great.

Best regards, Greg J.

Robby

Post by Robby » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:51 pm

Great!

Kimmer

Post by Kimmer » Sun Aug 26, 2007 6:41 pm

Hey fitchjr,

Wat is the reason you say to stay away from the motorola radios? saw the plans and thought they looked pretty cool. Especially since I have some old motorolas that I don't use anymore.

Thanks
Kimmer