PIGEON TRAPPING?

raven

PIGEON TRAPPING?

Post by raven » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:22 am

ANY ONE HAVE ANY GOOD WAY TO TRAP PIGEONS SOMETHING GOT INTO MY COOP AND ATE MY LAST TWO BIRDS AND TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE THEY WERE SITTING ON EGGS

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:55 am

I know I need to get me some for training...Frozen quail do not fly well....

Grant

seadog

Post by seadog » Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:37 am

Buy or build a trap . Leave the door to the trap open , leave food and water inside the trap with a trail of food leading to the trap, allow birds to become totally comfortable with going in and out of trap, close door and return later to a full trap. ( door is like the bar door seen on coops, they can go in but not out)

ccl20

trapping

Post by ccl20 » Wed Apr 28, 2004 7:24 pm

If you live in the city, all you need is fishing net, a buddy, and a Maglite. Just scope out viaducts that are full of pigeons, and go there late at night. Spot the light at the pigeons so they freeze, and swoop them in the net. :P

raven

Post by raven » Thu Apr 29, 2004 10:20 am

THANKS I TOOK THE DOOR OFF MY COOP PUT IT ON A OLD RABBIT CAGE WENT AND ASKED A FARMER IF I COULD TRAP SOME, OF CORSE HE SAID YES TOLD ME WHERE TO PUT THE TRAP AND NOW I HAVE ACCES TO 100'S OF PIGEONS . AS SOON AS ONE GOT IN THEY JUST KEEP COMING. I FOUND THAT IF YOU PUT THE TRAP UP OFF THE GROUND IT WORKS BETTER ALSO TRY AND PUT IT NEAR A ROOSTING SPOT AND NOT A FOOD SORSE. AT FIRST THE FARMER HAD ME PUT IT NEAR HIS GRAIN TROTH CAUGHT NOTHING BUT I MOVED IT TO A RAFER IN A BARN HE ISN'T USING AND PIGENS GALORE.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Apr 29, 2004 8:58 pm

I talked to a farm supply around my house, and they are fine with me trapping their pigeons. I'm going to get a trap and start catching them. Hope fully this will workout fine and carl and bell will never have to see a frozen quail again! =)

dan

Post by dan » Thu May 06, 2004 6:44 pm

Im working downtown Ottawa on a highrsise. Im only getting one per week. Its in there Monday mornings, probably because of them being left alone , no one around all weekend.
Dan

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Fri May 07, 2004 6:52 am

The rabbit cage is a good idea...and it can hold a number of birds. I'll have to try that one...we've got a number of farmers around here that would love to see the bird population deplete a bit.

seadog

Post by seadog » Mon May 10, 2004 11:59 pm

Dan, the method that I explained is how a few guys that I know trap birds on highrises for bird control.

ourhunters

caging birds

Post by ourhunters » Sat Jun 19, 2004 2:04 pm

I'm wondering, I live in town, and am going to buy some birds for our first NAVHDA training, and don't know how to keep what we have left over? Do I just buy a cage and put water and feed in it for them and keep it in the garage? I'm thinking we'll be getting chukars and pigeons.

What are your thoughts? How do you keep birds?

GrouseHunter22

Post by GrouseHunter22 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:26 pm

My uncle had pigeons once. All he did was keep them in an old building for a while and get them used to eating feed in there then he unblocked the hole so that the birds could fly outside and come back in when they pleased. They will stay right at your place because of your food source. He even hatched 2 from eggs they layed while he had them.

emae

Post by emae » Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:30 pm

I just started keeping birds for the first time about a year ago. We live in a subdivision where all houses are on an acre- so we do have a little room to do small amount of birds. I have found that quail and chukar are fairly easy to maintain when you get them older/flight conditioned. Just feed and water. They do, however kind of smell--and I only keep about 6-8 at a time (may be a problem with your neighbors). I think the quail are lots easier to handle then the chukar just because they are smaller. I acquired a small pigeon loft as well and these guys are very easy to keep. The first 4 pigeons I got I kept in the loft for a few months hoping they would "home" back to my loft, but no luck. Don't know how old they were, but they left as soon as I let them out. I just recently got young "homers" that are supposed to home after about a month of being in this loft. They really don't smell and again, are low maintenance. Evidently they take care of any young that are hatched as well, you don't have to do a thing.

Anyone correct me if whatever I've said is wrong---as I said before, I am fairly new to keeping birds too. Hope this helps somewhat.

Country-Side Breeders

Post by Country-Side Breeders » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:12 pm

You can get designs from a number of sources...make a coop for them to stay in. My Dad used to raise homers and had a lot of them at all times. Clean them daily, feed cracked corn (or check at your local feed mill, they usually have a mix for pigeons), grit (they need the grit for digesting the feed), and water them and you'll be able to keep them indefinately. The most important about living in the city with them however, is to check for ordinances on them first! They are easy to keep and maintain, low maintenance. If you get homers that are "retired" from the racing scene, you'll have to keep them as prisoners and not allow them to fly because they will always return to the original owners coop. These are the birds you use for the kill birds. If you get young ones that haven't been out of the coop yet, keep them in yours for about a month and they will learn where home is. If you're getting barn birds, they will most always fly free when released.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jul 01, 2004 1:19 pm

I'm catching the pigeons now! If your in GA and need some, I can catch them for you! Or I can tell you how....

Grant

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Thu Jul 01, 2004 2:22 pm

Grant,

Where in GA are you?
How are you catching them.
I have been thinking of putting a trap on top of my office downtown - but something always comes up and i never get around to buying or building a trap.

I liked the net idea - it sounded sporting too!!

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jul 01, 2004 4:01 pm

Decoy,

I live in Cartersville.

To trap the pigeons, I set a trap like this under a bridge:

http://www.dogsafieldonline.com/Assets/ ... onTrap.jpg

I put crushed corn around the pen, through the door, and in the pen. On the first day they ate around the pen, on the second they ate up two the pen, and day three the pen was FULL!

ourhunters

Post by ourhunters » Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi Grant,

Did you have one of those doors on it so that they can't get back out? Or, do you just know their eating time and go close it on them!!! Just wondering. I was thinking of just buying a rabbit cage and doing the same thing - not sure if it was necessary to have that door that they can't get out of.

Thanks.
Caren

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Jul 01, 2004 7:05 pm

Mine has the trap doors. I got it online from this place:

http://www.dogsafieldonline.com