Tap on head to release

Ayres
GDF Junkie

Tap on head to release

Post by Ayres » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:48 am

Hey Grant, I noticed in the FF videos that you tap Bell on the head to release her. Was that something you picked up in the Perfection Kennels video series, or something you put in from another training method?

I'm sending off for the Perfect Finish set now. I gotta get my Perfect Start set back from my brother-in-law soon so I can review a little bit now that Justus is graduating on live birds so fast.
- Steven

Justus Kennels.com

Justus James Ayres SH CGC - Justus - Rest in Peace, buddy.
Wind River's JK Clara Belle - Belle
Wind River's JK Black Tie Affair - Tux

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Tue Oct 19, 2004 9:57 am

Tapping a dog is a good way to release, perfect for competition dogs.

BAre in mind, in a hunting sutuation, you might want the dog to relocate on a voice or whistle though. There will be many times when you will not be able to get to them.

Phil

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:30 am

I started tapping bell on the head when she was about 4mo. I never (I don't think) taught her how to fetch without me giving her the tap. Well, may just a few times we would just have all out fetch time where she could just give chase.

Over time, Bell has learned two commands for one task. For example, for fetch, I can tap on head or just say fetch. For whoa, I can say whoa or hold up my hand. For relocate, I can tap on shoulder or say easy.

One thing in mind, I was in a trial, and Bell pointed a bird that ran like crazy, Lindsay laughed as I chased it around until it flushed. Bell stayed pointed, I don't know why I didn't just say fetch, but I had to walk about 25 yards back to her to give her a tap. It looked good, but took up time.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:07 am

I worked on this with Cooper alot. Here is what I did.

He has always had a strong retrieving instinct. If I throw a bumper he wants so bad to go and get it. I had him on the check chord and when I threw the bumper, I would whoa him and make him stand for a few seconds. Then when I released him to go fetch the bumper, I did it with a tap on the head. He caught on fast.

This is also for the most part how I taught "whoa". You can actually accomplish alot this way. You get your retrieval training, whoa, tap on head to realease and "here".

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:53 am

ANother good tip here......

Dont get your dog used to retrieving everything shot or tossed.

Go thrrough your normal training regiment, but sometimes whoa the dog and you go get the bird. After that throw it and let him get it or just quit after you do. It keeps his head on straight and keeps him from anticapating your commands.

Phil
REO

sudiegirl

Post by sudiegirl » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:44 am

ahh good point!! phil, how do you train the dog to relocate on the whistle command?

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:48 am

Grant, from what you said, you was nothing short of perfect for having the dog stay put and you then gave the release by the tap! Good training!!!!!!
By this thread I am seeing there is alot of Perfection Kennel fans?

TAK

Post by TAK » Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:52 am

QC has a great advise here! I train with some guys that every 10th bird the dog gets a retrieve. and it had to be worked perfect to get that retrieve.
Another good tip is when working 2 dogs let the backing dog at times get the retrieve......

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:45 am

I never (I don't think) taught her how to fetch without me giving her the tap. Well, may just a few times we would just have all out fetch time where she could just give chase.
Now that I think about it, I believe I started the tap release when I was teaching her whoa.... She was still very young at that time though