Cooper :: Training Journal

12 Volt Man

Cooper :: Training Journal

Post by 12 Volt Man » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:26 pm

I think Grant had a great idea in starting training journals for his dogs. I decided to start my own. I encourage everyone to start one. I think it will be motivational and it will be nice to "share notes" and help coach each other.

-----------------------------

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/4genview.php?id=60

Hour and a half free run/hunt through the dry areas of a local Division of Wildlife Water Foul Management area on the shores of the Great Salt Lake. Cooper was in and out of the Water, he got very muddy. He was very focused on looking for birds. He had great stamina and did not get tired. I saw a Rooster Pheasant run across the road so I lead Cooper into it. The Rooster flushed before Cooper could find the scent. Cooper stayed steady to wing. I also saw another Rooster flush way off in the distance. It flew into a restricted, fenced area so we couldn't go after that one.

Cooper was very muddy when we were done so we stopped at the boat lauch area where the water was a little cleaner. I threw a stick out in the water. He made two nice water retrieves to hand and got clean in the process.
Last edited by 12 Volt Man on Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:24 am

Back to the same spot tonight.

30 to 45 minute run throught fields with pretty thick cover. Did not find any wild birds this time. Cooper is really getting some wheels under him. He can go for a long time without slowing or showing signs of fatigue. He is ranging out further than he used to. Sometimes out past 100 yards.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:43 pm

I got up early this morning and headed up on top of the mountian for a little grouse hunt. I did not have a lot of time because I had to watch the kids today while my wife worked. But, I did have just enough time to get out. So I took advantage of the opportunity.

Cooper and I hiked around for about and hour and a half. We did not find any grouse. There was a guy camping in a tent near my grouse hunting spot. He wasn't up yet. He would have had a rude awakening if I would have found any grouse. :P

Cooper adjusted his range to quite close. It was a thick wooded area. I was impressed that he seems to know how far out to work. He was very obedient. We had a great time.

Here is a picture I took this morning. Not a point. I just "whoa'd" him for the pose.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:10 pm

I did 't get much done this weekend as I was taking care of my kids for 12 hours on each day Saturday and Sunday while my wife worked.

I took the dogs out for a quick free run through the Waterfowl Mangement Area this morning. Approx 20 minutes.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:50 pm

Last night we headed back to the same spot we’ve been using lately. We had almost an hour free run/hunt down some dirt roads and paths. Cooper worked the cover on the sides. I worked on “whoa”. In this case I was getting him to stop on when he was on a dead run out in the field. Several times I “whoa’d” him from 30 to 50 yards away. He stopped, waited for me and I released him with a tap on the head. He did very well on that drill. On the way back to the car, ( yes I said car, my current vehicle is a GEO Prizm. The ultimate offroad vehicle :? . Every once in a while I get to borrow the Suburban from my wife. :P. I need a more dog friendly vehicle ) anyway….. on the way back to the car at approx 100 yards out, I worked on “heel” and had Cooper walk beside me till we reached the car. He is starting to think that “heel” means to come stand or walk within 10 or 20 feet of me. He tries to sneak out ahead. He needs a refresher on “heel”.

It is getting dark early here. If I leave work at my regular time (6:00pm), then I might have 15 minutes of daylight left when I get home. I have to sneak home early in order to have any daylight left for training.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:17 pm

No training last night and few the next few days :(

I have been preparing for the deer hunt and I take off in a few hours. :D

I thought about bringing Cooper along for some Grouse hunting if I got a deer early. There is now two feet of snow in the Mountians where we are going, so he'll stay at home and guard the house.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Oct 27, 2004 4:37 pm

Spent the weekend in two feet of snow looking for Mule Deer. Still haven't got one. I have been hitting the foothills above my house after work each night this week. I need to get a deer so that my dogs can get some attention and training. :D

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:35 pm

Worked "whoa" and some retrieves under the streetlight outside the front of my house. approx 15 minutes.

12 Volt Man

Post by 12 Volt Man » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:00 pm

last night.
15 minutes on retrieves. With the trial coming this weekend I wanted to make sure and encourage all retrieves to hand.