Last-minute suggestions

Colleen

Last-minute suggestions

Post by Colleen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:55 pm

OK, well #2 comes home on Sunday. I've got all the material things we need (collar, tag, leashes, vet, puppy crate, food, bones, and on and on ad infinitum) but I was looking for tips to keep Fletch from becoming too jealous. He's going to be thrilled to have a doggy friend 24/7 but I know he's gonna be jealous and pouty the first couple weeks because he's a major momma's boy. I'm figuring on things like he always gets let out of crate first, always gets greeted first, gets treats first, in addition to making sure we give him all his love and not get swept up in just the puppy.

Food is a non-issue with him and we free feed, so there will be one (always full) bowl for them to eat out of whenever they're hungry. He's not food-possessive at all. He's going to have to learn to share his chew toys, which he usually does well with dogs he knows (but strange dogs get a warning growl) What should I do if he growls at the puppy when she tries to take one of his toys from him, or when he inevitably decides that the bone he didn't want 5 minutes ago he now wants because she has it?? Do I let him boss her around to let them establish their pecking order, or should I step in and not let him boss her around?

This wasn't an issue when we got Fletch because the other dog at home belonged to my (former) roommate, so they weren't fighting for mom and dad's attention, and the older dog doesn't chew or play with anything so there was never toy aggression between them.

Any ideas, tips or what worked for you with introducing a new pup would be greatly appreciated.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:10 pm

Below are some of the first thoughts that came to my mind... Hopefully this is on topic...

When Lins and I brought home Carl, He and Bell got along great. We kept them in the same pen all of the time. We almost didn't notice, as it happened slowly, but Bell's bond with Carl grew stronger than it did with Lindsay and I. Suggestions from this forum said we should separate the dogs into their own pens. We had one large fenced in area, and build two smaller pens. Once they were separated, their was a night and day difference in Bells personality. She was always excited to see us, and full of energy.

So, Carl is gone and we have Kage. They stay separated during the day and night, but they get to play when I get home from work for about 4 hrs. We give each dog their own attention as well as family time, and everything is going well....

Now, I'm a believer in giving each dog their own territory...

ginia

Post by ginia » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:51 am

Colleen,

Congrats on the puppy and good luck!

We're getting our second dog in December, so I've been reading a puppy training forum. The consensus seems to be that you want the dogs to interact (of course). But you are the pack leader, so you decide when enough is enough. You can take the bone away from them both or let them work it out, and it will probably depend on both of their personalities. Since we don't have that second dog yet, I'm no expert, but when we dog-sit, we have generally let the dogs feel each other out unless we feel they are being too rowdy in some way. Cassi is not a growler, but she has been growled at, and that's usually when we intervene by separating them but not making a big deal of it. (like telling them to both lay down or sit and shake, some type of distraction.)

Hope that helps a little. Let us know how it goes; I may have some of those second dog jealousy issues myself. :D