Post by grant » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:49 pm

10 min force fetch
Showed consistant fetches whole time.

2 miles roading on mtn. bike

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:32 pm

10 min. on FF (Force Fetch)

She is doing awesome! She is consistent in her fetches and hangs on to that thing hard. No ear pinches today. =) Just lots of fun...

BTW, I'm using a dummy:

I plan on switching to a frozen bird in a couple of days.

FYI, I'm FF'ing because Bell became inconsistent in her fetches this year.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:54 am

Yep,

I was careful with bell. Never used too much force =) just more atta girl! Its easy to want to beat a dogs butt because they're don't understand, but it just takes time and patience. IMO FF must be done with a mature dog and with caution. For me, FF was really intense for Bell and I because she is like a part of the family. When I applied force, I hated the fact the she knew I was intentionally causing her discomfort. That only last for a week or so, then less and less force is needed. Now, a simple touch of the ear reminds her that I mean business. Even that is rare now.

Now that I've done it and see what its done to bell, I will probably do it to all my dogs when they're ready...

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:42 pm

Sounds like you have her really doin great. Just remember when you start with the bird to go back to table and start like its her first day on the dummy so she understands it`s all the same, of course much less pinch is needed. Usually the hold takes care of much of it. Once they understand holding the bird, it can possibly be close to done. The tougher dogs are the ones that really hate a bird in their mouth.
brenda

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:53 pm

Just a note,

Bell knows I will praise the heck out of her, so she often make lunges a the the dummy trying to get it in her mouth. I've tried to make our FF sacred by only letting her play with the dummy when its FF time. As soon as I show it to her, watch your hands! She'll take one off going for that thing :D

She loves FF! So, I think if done right, the dog loves FF'ing. Its like the communication is there. For example, pitch the dummy for Kage, and the little man goes and gets it. I never taught him that. Its natural. He doesn't know I want him to bring it back, he just does. With Bell, she now knows that I want her to pick that thing up and hold tight. You can even try to knock it out and she wont let me until I say leave it. Thats not natural.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:12 am

Did FF.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:23 am

FF bell with frozen bird.

Went to plantation and got into some coveys...

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:43 pm

Went to the plantation Saturday. Had a great hunting trip. Bell hunted for about 3-4 hrs.

grant
GDF Junkie

Post by grant » Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:48 am

15 min. - Fetch with bell and frozen bird.