GSP Training Timeline

BB_0976

GSP Training Timeline

Post by BB_0976 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:37 pm

I have recently purchased a German Shorthaired Pointer. Given this was a versatile dog, I had planned on teaching it multiple things, such as retrieving and pointing. I have read around and recently been reading the book “The training and care of the versatile hunting dog.” In the book it says to wait until roughly 8 months before you begin training your dog. However I feel as though this is a little late. Was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what age they begin training their GSP, and what y’all suggest training/teaching first.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: GSP Training Timeline

Post by slistoe » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:53 pm

Everything you do from the time you bring your pup home is teaching it something. So be aware of where you want to go and what the pup is learning in its interactions with you. I would say that if you are looking at a rounded, versatile companion you will have a pretty solid structure to basic obedience commands by 8 mos.

NEhomer

Post by NEhomer » Sun Mar 24, 2024 6:18 am

BB_0976 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:37 pm
I have recently purchased a German Shorthaired Pointer. Given this was a versatile dog, I had planned on teaching it multiple things, such as retrieving and pointing. I have read around and recently been reading the book “The training and care of the versatile hunting dog.” In the book it says to wait until roughly 8 months before you begin training your dog. However I feel as though this is a little late. Was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what age they begin training their GSP, and what y’all suggest training/teaching first.
That advice seems so ridiculous that I'd like to read the quote where it says that. At 8 months, my setter was well into his first season and was thoroughly staunch.

Start now~

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Mar 24, 2024 8:24 am

Welcome. :)
As you are new to gundog training you've come to the right forum; lots of expert advice here.
I suggest you follow a time honored method. LOts of good books on these methods. I'll suggest one and perhaps other members can suggest others. Choose the ONE that suits you. Don't mix up a bunch of different methods.

https://www.amazon.com/Themselves-Takin ... 0963012746

Let me know anytime I can help you with your use of the forum.

Sharon (mod)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:03 am

waiting to 8 months is a complete waist of 6 months. You might try the book , " Training with Mo" . You may be in for a great adventure :) Have fun.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

slistoe wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:53 pm
Everything you do from the time you bring your pup home is teaching it something. So be aware of where you want to go and what the pup is learning in its interactions with you. I would say that if you are looking at a rounded, versatile companion you will have a pretty solid structure to basic obedience commands by 8 mos.
THIS!!

I start interacting/training/bonding with my pups from the very first day i bring them hom, which is usually 8 weeks or a bit more. Young pups are like sponges...they soak everything up and want more. Waiting only wastes that incredibly valuable timeframe and it will not come again.

I start my pups with calling them in when they are running in the back yard. I start at 8 weeks. they learn their name and to come to me for treats and loving. I also put the pup up on a table and handle it ...all over...feet legs, toes, ears,mouth turnit on its back, rub its belly...all of it. At about ten weeks I put the pup on a checkcord and call it to me. If it does not come, I reel it in gently, firmly and right to me, at which point it gets praised and a treat. If there are two people, i put two cords on and take turns calling the pup to each person for treats and petting. It is not long before the pup is wanting to race back and forth for treats, so one will hold the pup back until the other issues the come command and then release.

At the same time, I introduce the "hunt dead" command. I take a few puppy treats and drop them in the grass. i then call the pup over and give the hunt dead command. They very soon learn to put their head down and sniff out the puppy treats. This translates well in the field to hunting dead for birds.

At about 16 weeks I start heel/whoa drills which are very short drills with the dog on a lead at my knee. The drill is done SILENTLY. I start off and go about five to ten steps and then stop. The go and stop is repeated about three times and then the pup is let loose. The pup learns to move with me and pay attention to my movements. I use a version of the Smith Wonder lead,which is s springy,waxed rope lead. the springiness makes any corrections and release form correction pretty instantaneous, and in training...timing is EVERYTHING. If the pup deviates from the initial knee position, the noose tightens and the discipline starts. the instant the dog returns to the knee position, the noose loosens and the pressure is removed. I do heel whoa drills morning and evening. They take about five minutes to do.

As the dog get better and better with the heel and whoa, I mix it up, with turns and stops Eventually I introduce the upturned hand "STOP" signal and will drop the lead and walk out in front of the dog. Often the pup will want to be with you as you step out front, so you will need to stop the dog, using the had signal, physically pick it up and set it back. I will simulate a flush and walk around in front of and eventually all around the youngster while it stands there. This sets the dog up for standing tall when pointing a bird.

If you do the yardwork diligently, you CAN have a dog that is ready for hunting by the time it is one year old. I have had several dog that were steady to wing and shot by the time they were one year of age. I have had a two that were dead broke by the time they were nine months old, but they were pretty special.

If you spend the time and do the work, you will have well trained companion. i hve trained a bunch of high powered english pointers and shorthairs ain't much different, IMO. They might even be a little easier. The training ain't rocket science. Just rote lessons, and repeat, repeat, repeat utntilit becomes the default response.

Always remember to have fun,because, if you are not having fun, it is a certainty that your pup is not either and if it is not enjoyable,that is not conducive to learning. If the pup is being difficult and you are getting frustrated...quit and go do something else.

There is lots more...but this should get you on your way. Enjoy.

RayG

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:43 am

and that is why Ray needs to write that book. Then we could recommend his book. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Post by 410 » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:59 pm

RayGubernat wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:45 am

Always remember to have fun,because, if you are not having fun, it is a certainty that your pup is not either and if it is not enjoyable,that is not conducive to learning. If the pup is being difficult and you are getting frustrated...quit and go do something else.
This is the most important advice for training a pup in my eyes. Keep it fun and positive and if you notice they’re frustrated or not enjoying it, back off and try again the next day. Introducing a dog at a young age is great, but be mindful of how much obedience you enforce. If your dog starts sticking too close, forget about the heel work until you see them running hard and covering ground. I like to introduce the e-collar at least several weeks before you start pushing buttons as well. Put it on before outside time so that they know the collar = fun.