Training- New to this

Rookie1719

Training- New to this

Post by Rookie1719 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 9:21 am

Hi Everyone,

First off I’m new to the forum, I was recommended by a member who saw my post in a different forum. I’d like to thank the admins for the add, I look forward to interacting here.

I’m 31 years old from southern Ontario (Windsor area). I recently bought a GSP, who is now 4 months (5 months October 1st). I’m trying to find someone in my area or a few hours drive (Michigan or Ontario) to help me out.

I have no experience with training a dog for hunting purposes. I’ve introduced wings/feathers and gunshots with the pup so far.

I’ve googled watched videos on YouTube, but I need help with what I should do. I don’t want to waste his abilities, we want to give him all the support we can.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I’d be very appreciative and thankful.

His names Jax.

mask

Re: Training- New to this

Post by mask » Mon Sep 25, 2023 12:14 pm

Buy the book Training with Mo. It will give you the foundation that will help you through the training process. Best to you and your pup and welcome to the forum.

jmez

Post by jmez » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:42 pm

Buy the book Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long.

Short and easy to follow.

Sent from my moto g power 5G - 2023 using Tapatalk

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:44 am

Welcome. So glad you took my advice. You'll get good help here. Let me know anytime I can help you with your use of the forum. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Sep 26, 2023 9:59 am

Rookie-

Welcome.

The two books you were recommended are both excellent. I advise you to get both and read through both. They are two different approaches to training, but they have many similarities. Paul Long's book is more old school which starts out with a good bit of yardwork and repetition, with an emphasis on rapid response to obedience cues, while Mo's book features a more field based and if you will, softer. more hands on approach. I actually use elements of both in my training, depending on how the dog responds. I tend to start out doing the yardwork ala Paul Pong and transition to the field work ala Mo Lindley.

One of the key elements of Paul Long's training regimen is the heel/whoa drill. I have done this with every one of my dogs. Instead of a looped checkcord, I use a waxed cotton rope called a pigging string, because it has a springiness that instantly releases the pressure when the dog complies. You can also use a Delmar Smith wonder lead if you have one. The inherent springiness makes the timing of any correction or release much better, and, with dog training...timing is everything. I start my pups at about 4 months on heel/whoa drills and also on Here/Come drills using two long checkcords, two persons opposite each other with the pup in between and calling the pup alternately from one to the other. Initially, puppy treats and praise encourage the pup to come in and eventually just praise.

Both these training techniques have been detailed on this board several times over the years. If you have a dog that goes with you when asked and comes when called, you have a whole lot of what it takes to have a useful bird dog.

This is a great site and the folks are very helpful. We are all here to help pass along what we have learned to the next generation, so feel free to ask.

RayG

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:43 pm

Google Standing Stone Kennels. They have a lot of short training videos on utube that might be able to show you how to do some of the training.
Ethan & Cat train their dogs for hunting and AKC hunt tests. Good luck with the pup. :D

sns2

Post by sns2 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:09 am

Good advice given for sure.

If I could be so bold, Perfection Kennels has a very good series. Perfect Start and Perfect Finish DVDs are all you need.

Alternatively, you could download their two digital tapes: The Perfect here and The Perfect Whoa (which is new). They have a wonderful straight forward approach. And, they show the dogs failing. You get the good, bad, and ugly. Multiple dogs too.

The bane of the dog training world imo, are video series that show only perfectly trained dogs. That is like ordering a Big Mac without the two patties. Often what those videos do is serve to discourage new trainers to think they have a pizz poor dog.

I am not a new trainer, but seeing is helpful. I used The Perfect Here, and must say that if followed, your dog will have a rock solid recall. I also used Paul Long’s method with a piggin string for whoa then overlayed the ecollar.

I would also suggest joining a local NAVHDA or Field Trial Club.

Take part and don’t be shy at training days etc…

And finally, e-collars are indispensable tools, but they need to be used properly, not as punishment. You simply must understand collar conditioning.

Finally, a remote launcher is very helpful.

Best of luck.

dsmith84

Post by dsmith84 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:28 am

Ed Frawley’s video on 10 rules for e-collars is, in my opinion, well worth watching. Lots of sales pitches and links to his website but the rules are good.

Only thing I would say is, all dogs are different and don’t get frustrated. There is a ton of information out there but remember there is good information and bad. Some trainer train for results in a short period of time, because time is money and what works for one may not work for you. Enjoy the process and learn together.

dsmith84

Post by dsmith84 » Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:42 am

Another source of information is “project upland”. Do a quick search and it should come up.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:43 pm

deseeker wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:43 pm
Google Standing Stone Kennels. They have a lot of short training videos on utube that might be able to show you how to do some of the training.
Ethan & Cat train their dogs for hunting and AKC hunt tests. Good luck with the pup. :D
Not often I'd disagree with this guy but this time I do. Go check out both books and get the one you understand best. Terrible to get two different styles starting out and trying to remember which is which as you go along. Then you'll find most of us have our own likes and they often differ. Doesn't make anyone right, just different. The book that got me going was the Delmar Smith method and can't remember the writers name. Big plus was the writer was actually a writer and knew what he was doing. Made understanding a lot easier. Most books I've read by trainers seemed to confuse me to much. Problem is trainer's that have the experience training see to many things as self explanatory, the clueless don't! Hardest thing for me with some of the books was the books got to involved and I'd have a hard time understanding what they were saying. Dog trainer's looking to be writer's. The book about Delmar Smith is very simple to understand. The guy that wrote it took Delmars advice, keep it simple stupid. I think that was why I got through it. Now since reading that and getting going there are things I changed but that book I give all the credit in the world. The only reason I think for the keep it simple remark was if dogs could understand and speak English it would be pretty simple! People with problems training all seem to have the same problem, they over think what they are doing!

Look it up. The Delmar Smith Method by Bill Tarrant!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:11 pm

DonF wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:43 pm
Look it up. The Delmar Smith Method by Bill Tarrant!
Excellent resource.