Post by acolic » Wed Jun 28, 2023 7:25 pm

Hi

I have my first springer spaniel.

Four months of pure energy.

Very little to complain about.
Completely fearless.
Loves water.
Already doing basic retrieves.
Gets along really well with my Golden. The two of them are constantly wearing themselves out by play fighting

I have a strong feeling he’s going to make an amazing hunting dog.

But two things are driving me crazy and I’d appreciate a bit of advice.

By the way, he’s not my first dog.

First Springer but I’ve had a number of retrievers and pointers.

First, at four months, he still not house trained. His standard routine is I take him out of his crate, take him outside, hang around for a while until he’s finished, then bring him in the house. Then he hangs with the family for about 30 minutes and then I put him back in the kennel. He is fenced off to two rooms, the kitchen and family room.

Same routine I followed with my other dogs

He still not getting it. I can bring him in the house after watching him pee outside and 10 seconds later he’ll pee right in front of me.

At four months, my current golden had written a book on house training.

I’m thinking of confining him further, just to the kitchen. But he’s making me work really hard for this.

Am I expecting too much at four months? I know different breeds mature at different paces.

The second thing is, he’s not picking up certain constraints quickly.

For example, I don’t want him jumping and hanging on top of the child gate. Once he jumps up and hangs on the child gate, I push him off and say no. He jumps right back up. I say no push him off and again he jumps back up. This goes on for a while l the finally he gets it.

Same thing with counter surfing. Constant putting his feet on the kitchen counter looking for food? He jumps up I say no and the game starts all over again

Next day we start this all over again.

It just seems he’s not picking up certain constraints as fast as I’m used to.

I may be remembering my golden’s first few months overly positive, I just don’t remember working this hard for this.

Anyone with an a Springer who can tell me if this is just normal behavior and eventually it will all work out.

Thanks for the advice,

Alex

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gypsy

Re: Help with new springer spaniel puppy

Post by gypsy » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 am

Sounds like a great PUPPY!

I don't think your complants have anything to do with being a Springer Spaniel, but everything to do with being a great PUPPY.

Have fun!

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:44 am

If he has not been to the vet recently, get a sample of urine and have it looked at for a urinary tract infection. Pups can definitely get this, and you had best eliminate it as a possibility. Once you make sure this is not a problem, I wouldn't even limit him to the kitchen. He apparently gets exercise wrestling outdoors with your golden, so keep him in his crate when he's indoors if he is still having accidents. When he is out, don't just leave him alone to make mistakes. Watch him.

As for counter surfing, just watch and don't take your eyes off him. When he rocks back with the intention of bringing his paws up to the counter, just tell him "no" forcefully -- that doesn't mean loudly. If you are watching, it will be evident what he is going to do. Logically, it would helpful if you did not put food close to the edge where he could get it. This may require retraining wife and kids. Eventually, when he gets older and if you are persuaded that he knows right from wrong, you can set him up and put mousetraps on the edge, but you are some distance away from that at his stage and age.

A new pup -- or untrained dog -- requires that you are trained to watch him all the time for quite a while --- but not forever.

acolic

Post by acolic » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 pm

Thanks.

I am likely just having unrealistic expectations considering my experience with my Golden.

He was housetrained almost immediately, and definitely doesn’t counter surf.

I probably just got lucky with him.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 30, 2023 1:57 pm

acolic wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:21 pm
Thanks.

I am likely just having unrealistic expectations considering my experience with my Golden.

He was housetrained almost immediately, and definitely doesn’t counter surf.

I probably just got lucky with him.
Don't forget checking for urinary tract infection. More common in females, but not unknown in males. Worth making sure.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:01 pm

Let's assume the pup does not have an infection, though that certainly may be a possibility.

What do you do to correct him when he pee's inside? I don't let it go unpunished. I will yell NO! when he squats, grab him by the scruff of the neck, pick him up, and put him outside, commanding Outside!, Outside!. The problem I see you have is that even though you have rooms sectioned off, he still has THE FREE RUN OF THE ROOM. I would not allow that. He'd either be in my lap or on a 10-12' 1/8" check cord so I had total control of him constantly. When the light goes on, THEN you can give him free reign in a cordoned off room.

I never allow counter or table surfing, or any other kind of surfing. A dog's paws are VERY sensitive and most dog's hate you messing with their paws. Use that to your advantage. When he jumps up, whack the counter and his paw with the flat of your hand. Come down on the counter noisily but don't hit those tender little feet too hard. Scare him. If you don't want to do that, when he stands up, grab both front paws, squeeze but don't crush them and command NO!. Be aware though, when you squeeze a dog's paws, it's a a mighty fine way to get bit. Be on guard. Or, take a heeling stick, crack him on the butt and command NO, SIT!. Helps if he knows sit first :D . Or, if your room has hard surface floors, when he stands up, sweep his hind legs out from under him and command NO! You won't hurt him.

Just because the pup is still a baby, doesn't mean you have to put up with garbage from him. Nothing wrong with using some pressure on him and making some things hurt, his mother would. Sooner or later all dog's require pressure and discipline. The younger they are when you apply it, the less you will have to apply. Maybe.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:51 pm

+1 on gonehuntin'.

Guess there's not much we can do, but it is quite regrettable that the membership of this group has shrunk to such a great degree over time and, moreover, that enough new people don't find this board. We have a massive amount of valuable knowledge from this group , both regarding bird hunting, dog training and general dog husbandry, that others need desperately.

As stated, I have no solution, but I do find it unfortunate. If anyone knows any new people-- even pet people if they aren't too brainwashed by the fuzzy minded -- tell them to show up here.

acolic

Post by acolic » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:Let's assume the pup does not have an infection, though that certainly may be a possibility.

What do you do to correct him when he pee's inside? I don't let it go unpunished. I will yell NO! when he squats, grab him by the scruff of the neck, pick him up, and put him outside, commanding Outside!, Outside!. The problem I see you have is that even though you have rooms sectioned off, he still has THE FREE RUN OF THE ROOM. I would not allow that. He'd either be in my lap or on a 10-12' 1/8" check cord so I had total control of him constantly. When the light goes on, THEN you can give him free reign in a cordoned off room.

I never allow counter or table surfing, or any other kind of surfing. A dog's paws are VERY sensitive and most dog's hate you messing with their paws. Use that to your advantage. When he jumps up, whack the counter and his paw with the flat of your hand. Come down on the counter noisily but don't hit those tender little feet too hard. Scare him. If you don't want to do that, when he stands up, grab both front paws, squeeze but don't crush them and command NO!. Be aware though, when you squeeze a dog's paws, it's a a mighty fine way to get bit. Be on guard. Or, take a heeling stick, crack him on the butt and command NO, SIT!. Helps if he knows sit first :D . Or, if your room has hard surface floors, when he stands up, sweep his hind legs out from under him and command NO! You won't hurt him.

Just because the pup is still a baby, doesn't mean you have to put up with garbage from him. Nothing wrong with using some pressure on him and making some things hurt, his mother would. Sooner or later all dog's require pressure and discipline. The younger they are when you apply it, the less you will have to apply. Maybe.
Thanks for the advice. I will try it out.

He’s house trained at this point. Took longer then I expected.

Still counter surfing but I will try your suggestions.

acolic

Post by acolic » Sat Aug 12, 2023 9:10 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will try it out.

He’s house trained at this point. Took longer then I expected.

Still counter surfing but I will try your suggestions.

gonehuntin' wrote:Let's assume the pup does not have an infection, though that certainly may be a possibility.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Aug 13, 2023 7:54 am

Welcome back to the forum.

We have an excellent magazine in the Ontario Out of Doors forum that posts articles regularly.
Thought this article on training a new pup might be useful to you.
Scroll down the page to see it.

https://oodmag.com/category/hunting/
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:20 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:51 pm
+1 on gonehuntin'.

Guess there's not much we can do, but it is quite regrettable that the membership of this group has shrunk to such a great degree over time and, moreover, that enough new people don't find this board. We have a massive amount of valuable knowledge from this group , both regarding bird hunting, dog training and general dog husbandry, that others need desperately.

As stated, I have no solution, but I do find it unfortunate. If anyone knows any new people-- even pet people if they aren't too brainwashed by the fuzzy minded -- tell them to show up here.
It's a problem on all of the boards I'm on Steve. I think that Facebook is the culprit. It's so easy to post pics on there. It's also the place where I have seen more stupid, distrustful, incompetent advice posted than at any other place. I really don't see a solution to it. Versatile dogs is just as dead as here. Too bad. Some interesting stuff has passed through these pages.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

acolic

Post by acolic » Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:22 pm

I have always appreciated the help I have received in this forum.

I do agree versatile Hunting Dog Forum isn't what it once was.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:57 am

It is August. I don't get concerned about this forum unless we don't get many posts between September and December.

"Gundogs" is also a very narrow subject. Our Ontario forum is pretty busy , but that because it is about fishing/hunting/ gundogs and also has an "off topic" section which is always busy with talk about politics etc..

It is also a fact that very few young people are interested in gundogs/hunting /trialing/testing the way we were when we were young. They'd rather be on social media .
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon Aug 14, 2023 11:22 am

Sharon wrote:
Mon Aug 14, 2023 8:57 am
It is August. I don't get concerned about this forum unless we don't get many posts between September and December.

"Gundogs" is also a very narrow subject. Our Ontario forum is pretty busy , but that because it is about fishing/hunting/ gundogs and also has an "off topic" section which is always busy with talk about politics etc..

It is also a fact that very few young people are interested in gundogs/hunting /trialing/testing the way we were when we were young. They'd rather be on social media .
I certainly do not wish to speak ill of this exceedingly worthwhile board in any way. However, in 2009, I lost my Gordon Setter and was without a dog for the first time in over 30 years. Distraught, I thought I would like to change breeds and would do well with a German Wirehaired Pointer/Draht. Placed an ad on this board indicating I was open to a young adult female of good breeding and bird exposure. It is not a tremendously popular breed, and specifying age and sex would obviously limit the inquiries further.

I got an easy eight (or more) serious inquiries. Without going into detail, I made an excellent choice as a result of the ad and am quite appreciative of this board for that reason. I think it unlikely that I would get such a response today, and quite possibly would get no response.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Mon Aug 14, 2023 12:53 pm

Maybe not as many questions, conversations or arguments :lol: , but still seems like there are lots of eyes on the site. So much has been discussed and saved over the years, it has become a valuable reference. I have often gone back to old discussions to address current issues.

Garrison
IMG_3574.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-