Place Command

RatDog

Place Command

Post by RatDog » Fri Nov 25, 2022 7:55 pm

My goal is to teach the dog when I say place and point she goes there and lays down until released. I’m mostly trying to use it to send her to her bed in the house when she’s being a pain. I’m trying to do it using the Wonder Lead. Cueing her to get up on the bed then manually putting her in the down position and walking away. It’s one of those Kuranda ones so it’s a platform. Then I’ll cue her and she gets off and comes to me. I’ve got it so I can “cast” her onto the bed from a few feet away but can’t get her to connect laying down yet. Once I put her in the lying position she’s good about staying until cued to come.

I’ve found some instruction on “place” training but it’s using a clicker and treats. I’d like to avoid that since I’m not using it in any of the other training.

Any advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: Place Command

Post by Garrison » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:07 pm

When I do place, it is normally to kennel. I don’t care too much what they do in that place as long as they obey the command and stay there. If not released, they usually choose to lay down on their own in short order. It doesn’t take too long for “kennel” and “go lay down” to become interchangeable in the house. Long term place training is a bit easier when you can latch a door.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

shags
GDF Junkie

Post by shags » Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:16 am

Pretty much the same as Garrison here. I used the command "mat" and put them in the plastic airline kennel*. They could sit or stand around in there as long as they want, but no barking or whining allowed**. I don't like having the crate in the house, and the goal was to have them go lay down on their dog beds, so saying "mat" instead of "kennel" sort of saved a step. Pretty soon they knew resistance was futile and layed down in the crate soon as they went in. Then for the dog beds, I collared them over, told them "mat" and stood there until they settled, which means lay down. Walk away, resettle if necessary, rinse and repeat.
It wasn't long before I could just say "mat" and they'd go lay down. On stubborn days, I get harsh and say "mat" and point at the dog beds :D
I gotta say, it was great on Thanksgiving to have lots of people over, and food on every horizontal surface, and not have to lock my dogs up. Just "mat" and they were out from underfoot and away from all the people goodies.

* I prefer the enclosed airline crates over wire, because they eliminate a lot of stimulation and the dogs settle easier. Seems like my dogs thought of the wire crates as a dog jail where they could see and hear but not participate so being quiet was harder.
** Barking and whining earned a good hard shake and rattle of the crate. I don't give a rat's arse if they don't like it in there, they gotta lay down and be quiet. It can become their comfortable safe space when they figure out that they need to shut up.
I've not had any resistance with them going into or staying nicely in their crates.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat Nov 26, 2022 10:33 am

shags wrote:
Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:16 am
Pretty much the same as Garrison here. I used the command "mat" and put them in the plastic airline kennel*. They could sit or stand around in there as long as they want, but no barking or whining allowed**. I don't like having the crate in the house, and the goal was to have them go lay down on their dog beds, so saying "mat" instead of "kennel" sort of saved a step. Pretty soon they knew resistance was futile and layed down in the crate soon as they went in. Then for the dog beds, I collared them over, told them "mat" and stood there until they settled, which means lay down. Walk away, resettle if necessary, rinse and repeat.
It wasn't long before I could just say "mat" and they'd go lay down. On stubborn days, I get harsh and say "mat" and point at the dog beds :D
I gotta say, it was great on Thanksgiving to have lots of people over, and food on every horizontal surface, and not have to lock my dogs up. Just "mat" and they were out from underfoot and away from all the people goodies.

* I prefer the enclosed airline crates over wire, because they eliminate a lot of stimulation and the dogs settle easier. Seems like my dogs thought of the wire crates as a dog jail where they could see and hear but not participate so being quiet was harder.
** Barking and whining earned a good hard shake and rattle of the crate. I don't give a rat's arse if they don't like it in there, they gotta lay down and be quiet. It can become their comfortable safe space when they figure out that they need to shut up.
I've not had any resistance with them going into or staying nicely in their crates.
Anything I do differently than what shags has outlined is so minor as to not be worthy of mention.