can't believe this just happened

emae

can't believe this just happened

Post by emae » Sat Oct 02, 2004 9:20 pm

Ok---so my dog is already a little over confident w/thinking she can catch birds (she's gotten a few pen raised ones earlier in her life.) The last incident occured about a month ago when my homer didn't fly very far when launched and landed nearby. We both went up to it, I had her on whoa and she busted it and mouthed it. I was close enough that I grabbed her, she dropped the bird and I re-stacked her and made her stay while I got the bird. We have been on a break w/birds since then.

Soooo, tonight I took the dogs for a run in our usual field and it has been raining all day so is very marshy type conditions. There are these birds that kind of look like a woodcock but have no idea if that is what they are. In any case she was running full blast and all of a sudden this bird flew right up from underneath her and SHE CAUGHT IT!!!!! I couldn't believe it. She adjusted her mouth to hold it better and it flew off. Am I really screwed now w/her training!!!!

What would you do???? Please help!

snips
GDF Junkie

Post by snips » Sun Oct 03, 2004 12:48 am

Sounds like your dog got a Snipe, looks like a Woodcock but hangs out in watery areas. It is not the end of the world for a dog to catch a bird, might set you back a training session. Just keep on with controlled sessons on a checkcord until your dog is reliable.
brenda

Decoy

Post by Decoy » Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:44 am

I cant believe she caught a snipe!!!!!!!!
It was probably just a lucky coincidence (just like Randy Johnson hitting a dove with a baseball)
I would not expect the dog to catch another snipe - they are quick little flyers.

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Mon Oct 04, 2004 10:14 am

Emae,

I will try to help here. First off I need more information, like breed of dog and the age, your expectations of the dog in training ( ie, what is the outcome you are wanting), if your are competing with it, in what format?

IF this is a young dog that you are still working with on pointing......you should not have had the dog "walk" up with you to the bird in your earlier experience.

On the latter, those are the breaks! These things happen and there is nothing you can do about it. Chances are it will never happen again. No one would be fast enough to see what is going on and react there, unless you know a bird is there! heck of a fast reaction on your dog to nab a wild bird in flight!

Fill me in a bit and I will try to help.

Phil

emae

Post by emae » Mon Oct 04, 2004 2:16 pm

She is a 2yr. gwp. She didn't get out last season for hunting, so this year will be her first. I don't have any plans as of now to field trial her, but maybe in a few years when we are settled again in our new home. (right in the middle of moving from TX back to MT). So up until now, just been doing general training, but really trying to steady her up on point. We've had a few sessions w/launching the pigeons which go "ok". She holds steady when I release the bird in front of her (as in the perfection kennel series)and it flys off, but when she actually points it on scent, in no way do I count on her staying on point. I blame it all on me and screwing things up when training. For instance thinking i could take her out on my own w/manuel launcher. ie) see ealier post w/downed pigeon. I think I need to keep doing that, but have another person running the launcher so I can concentrate on the dog.

I think what will make a huge difference is getting her on wild birds. They are hard to find around here, plus the fact almost everything is private owned, which makes it difficult and expensive as well.

And yes, her catching that bird was a complete fluke and stroke of luck on her part. Never could that scenario happen again I know. Very fast reaction thats for sure!

QCBirddogs

Post by QCBirddogs » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:46 am

EMAE,

Sorry for the delay, taking care of the puppies and packing for a long time away at trials!

You didnt mention where the dog was in obedience. I would go back to yard work for a spell. Reinforce WHOA, make sure the dog knows it! I use the waist for this command. Becareful with those launchers, they are easy to mess up and ruin a dog!

Pigeons are good to use for a young dog. When they are flushed, the have the tendency to stay that way. IT doesnt tempt the dog to chase, like a quail would landing 10 feet in front of her.

Keep the dog on a check cord. If you are not able to hold the dog back, put a few stakes in the ground 15 away from the planted bird. This way you could loop the CC around as you walk up to the dog. Gives you leverage!

Give that some thought,

Phil
REO