18 Month Old Training

17Hunter

18 Month Old Training

Post by 17Hunter » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:32 pm

Not sure why I am considering this (I have a 6 month shorthair that is coming along nicely), but I have an opportunity to get a 18 month old male shorthair that has not been hunted at all. Owner took ill and has not been able to do anything hunting related with him this fall. The dog has basic obedience, recall, sit, stay, heel all down really good.

I know training should go the same as for a puppy, but my question is will the older dog be able to progress a little quicker due to being able to comprehend things faster or no? He comes from a strong hunting line and his litter mates are all doing really well from my understanding.

The other question; does it make any sense whatsoever to try get a 6 month old and and 18 month old started at the same time?

I would like to help the owner out, just afraid of having 2 young un-started dogs at the same time and messing both up.

mask

Re: 18 Month Old Training

Post by mask » Thu Nov 03, 2022 12:53 pm

As long as you Don't train and run them together (as in at the same time) you will be fine. Two pups together usually equal a wreck.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:04 pm

If you are diligent about working each dog individually and have the time, there is no downside as far as actual field training in having two. But having two young dogs around the house, or in the house can be tough. It makes it a bit harder to enforce what you have taught if they are not kennel dogs. Makes it harder to socialize them properly as well. It often translates into less time and opportunity for both competing with life’s obligations. In my experience young dogs can assist each other in coming unglued and it takes firm leadership and consistency (full time). Harder to do if you have a family.

I am always a multiple dog home. But I like to space them out approx 5-6 years so I am never out a dog and the old timers don’t have to put up with puppy shenanigans. It is fun always having some youngish blood to work with.

It’s tempting when an opportunity like this arises, or a really nice litter pops up, but sticking with the plan and knowing there is always a good litter on the horizon that will fit into the long game has worked out well for me. There are also a lot of dogs from “Really good hunting lines” that don’t necessarily translate to exactly what I am looking for over the next dozen or so years.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Nov 03, 2022 5:57 pm

It depends on your experience and how much time you have. Two dog equals twice the time, twice the food and vet bills, twice the mess. How experienced are you? If you're very experienced you can do it. If you're kind of new to this, I wouldn't do it. That pup you have is prime age to give a lot of exposure to. They need it. I'd rather have ONE really well trained dog that two that are half trained. You have to remember that if you have two dog's, many times each one only gets half the work. You can't work them together or they will just follow each other and rely on each other. They won't develop independence. So weigh your pros and cons. Only you can answer the questions truthfully.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.