New e collar

molotov_birddogs

New e collar

Post by molotov_birddogs » Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:43 pm

Hi everybody I am looking into a new e collar.
I am considering a garmin sport pro ,garmin 550+, educator boss, dogtra 280c and some other collars. I am looking for an e collar that I can use for training but also upland hunting. I was considering getting two separate collars;one for hunting one for training (dogtra 280c). That requires a big budget though.

I am looking for a collar ideally with 1 mile range, fully waterproof, nick, vibrate and constant as features. I've had sportdog before but there quality has plummeted. I tried dt sytems but was very unimpressed. If anyone has any suggestions or tips for looking for new e collars that would be very helpful.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: New e collar

Post by cjhills » Thu Sep 22, 2022 5:48 am

Dayla:
My collar choice has always been the Garmin Tritronics Field 70. I think it is the best value in training collars. It does not have Nick but a quick press on the button does the same thing. You probably won't need the 6 dog feature. Which gets a little hard to operate.
It has everything else you list,is easy to use and last forever.
Refurbished a little over $200. If you go with it buy a carrying case at the same time. It is easy to lose.
You may like more variable power settings. 1 js very low and it goes up quickly. I have never went higher than 3 and rarely that high for training, except for trash breaking. It is for sure the best buy for the money.......Cj

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Thu Sep 22, 2022 6:47 am

I had already looked into that one and I don't think it's right for me. I like to have alot more stim range as my gsp is both sensitive and stubborn at the same time so sometimes all I need is vibrate and sometimes I need a little more. Thanks for the suggestion though, much appreciated!

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:19 am

If you are looking for a collar with Constant, Nick and Vibrate and do not need a GPS feature I would look no further than the Dogtra 1900S ($239) or the 1900S Black Edition ($299). I have a Dogtra 280C for training and a Garmin Alpha for hunting. If I didn't need or want a GPS function the Dogtra 280C would do all I need for both training and hunting. The 1900's give you a little more range than the 280C, which is a compact unit. I've used Dogtra collars for over 20 years and have never had one issue with them.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:48 am

If you hunt the woods the Garmin 200i is the only way to fly. If you hunt the prairies only, the Garmin 550+.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Thu Sep 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Wow, thanks for all the answers! I'm really leaning towards the dogtra 280c for training and a garmin for hunting the uplands.
Anyone have experience with the educator systems?

art hubbard

Post by art hubbard » Sun Sep 25, 2022 10:15 am

Dogtra products hands down...

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:31 pm

I like my dogtra collars. You do not need a one mile range, that's silly. In all likelyhood you won't be able to see your dog at one mile. Chance yo could shoch it standong on a bird. Confine training to a much smaller area and only shock when you know exactly wht the dog is doing wrong! Even a half mile off is a long way and leaves you open to shock at the wong time. An e collar is called, a training aide, train with it!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

LouisianaHunter

Post by LouisianaHunter » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:54 pm

I use a Garmin Sport Pro every day . Really happy with it . Has everything but location. Beeper/GPS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk