Leash Training

17Hunter

Leash Training

Post by 17Hunter » Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:58 pm

4 momth old gsp and leash training has been brutal. I live in town, so he has to be leash trained. He pulls like a freight train and it is driving me crazy. Is he old enough for a pinch collar? Or any other trade secret to leash breaking a young and getting very independent bird dog.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Leash Training

Post by slistoe » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:46 pm

I don't think it is too soon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTmoWvMnaNM

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:28 am

That's a good video. I also incorporate the HEELING STICK with the prong or pinch collar. I prefer the pinch collar. The heeling stick is not to beat the dog with, it gives the dog a visual boundary and they learn where their boundary is. I don't think you can teach a dog too young to heel, or at least accept and respect a leash.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:34 am

Yeah, I don't own a prong collar. I have a pinch but usually just use the choke. The tool is not so important as the technique which is the constant. I have also used the end of the leash twirling to help the dog with a cue to the forward boundary.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 pm

slistoe wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:34 am
Yeah, I don't own a prong collar. I have a pinch but ...
A prong collar is a pinch collar. Same thing. The "pinch", by the way, refers to the fact that you squeeze the prongs together to put it on or remove links, not that it pinches the dog. When I first started in obedience many years ago, we called them pinch collars. Today the description has gone to prong. There are custom collars that are quite attractive with solid fabrics on the outside, but have prongs on the inside if you want to be subtle in public. It is a good tool. There are YouTube videos showing you how to use it properly.

17Hunter

Post by 17Hunter » Thu Sep 01, 2022 8:49 pm

Appreciate the reply’s. We tried a prong collar tonight and they do work. Went on a short walk and then let him off leash for a bit. Worked out really well.

Looks like to me, the prong collar and leather pinch collars work pretty near identical. Prong collars just look a little more menacing to some I guess.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:49 pm

Steve007 wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 6:31 pm
slistoe wrote:
Thu Sep 01, 2022 7:34 am
Yeah, I don't own a prong collar. I have a pinch but ...
A prong collar is a pinch collar. Same thing. The "pinch", by the way, refers to the fact that you squeeze the prongs together to put it on or remove links, not that it pinches the dog. When I first started in obedience many years ago, we called them pinch collars. Today the description has gone to prong. There are custom collars that are quite attractive with solid fabrics on the outside, but have prongs on the inside if you want to be subtle in public. It is a good tool. There are YouTube videos showing you how to use it properly.
https://www.canadiangundogsupply.com/le ... ollar.html

Vonzeppelinkennels
GDF Junkie

Post by Vonzeppelinkennels » Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:20 am

Here is a simple way to speed things up all you have to do is stake the dog out for an hr or 2 a day for a couple days on a short tie out. They learn not to fight the lead & once they give in to it & just play or lay down with out fighting it then put your lead on them & walk. The stake out takes you out of the equation & puts the lead in charge. I always do this before I ever put a lead on & even the most hard headed pup will only take a few days.

JoeBo53

Post by JoeBo53 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:25 pm

And.... how would I address a pup that continually “sits” and waits me out. It seems as though he only wants to move in the direction of ‘home’. bc when I pick him up, and carry him 7 or 8 houses down the road, ... Then I can deal with proper spacing (keeping him heeled) and having him be attentive to my pacers we move in the direction ‘he wants’ to go in. (11 week old CBR)
BTW, he behaves incredibly well when off leash(self-heels most of time). But, ... times when I can’t allow him to be off-leash due to vehicle trafficked areas etc.