tug of war

gypsy

tug of war

Post by gypsy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:42 am

My two GSP's (3 and 9 year females) will often get into a tug of war with a bird I have shot. Or just play keep away. Makes a great retrieve ugly. NOT GOOD!

Can't always shoot a double :D

Don't want to mess up perfect dog work. They do find and point and back. Great at finding dead. Real hard chargers.

Is there a correct "CORRECTION" for this type of behavior?

Thanks

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: tug of war

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:16 am

Absolutely. It's done in the yard, not in the field. They have to be steady. Sit them at your side and throw a bumper. Send one dog and make the other one wait until the other has returned. Now do it with the other dog. When they are perfect at this, throw a double and send each dog for the correct bumper. If one starts for the wrong bird, stop it and walk it out to the correct bumper. When they have that down pat, throw a double and send both at the same time. Again, stop either one if they go for the wrong bumper.

The other thing that works or can work, is to use the dog's name and NO. When one starts for the other's bird, bellow NO!, HERE! If you have to, tennis shoe it out there and make the dog understand what NO and HERE mean.

By letting it continue, you risk torn up birds, the development of a bird eater, and possible horrible dog fights. Best to stop it NOW.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

gypsy

Post by gypsy » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:06 pm

Thanks gonehuntin"

So simple I should have though of it :oops:

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:37 pm

"Stopping" the dog once he is enthusiastically on the move after bumper or bird may not be too easy, especially as you have a habit to overcome. Might be worth keeping them on a long line until you see if they need steadying. Wear gloves.