VIDEO: Training Pups With an Instructor Dog

Higgins

VIDEO: Training Pups With an Instructor Dog

Post by Higgins » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:39 pm

Here is a short video of one of our instructor dogs, Des, showing the pups how it's done. Once I get the gun intro work done with the young pups, I begin their learning process by checkcording them along to watch our experienced dogs hunt and manage birds. Makes the training go much faster. After watching the instructor dogs work a few birds, the pups know what the successful strategy looks like. I'll then turn them loose in the bird fields. They may try pushing a bird or two, but they'll lose. The bird will fly off. No reward. Very quickly they'll start stalking, managing and pointing their birds. No commands, no pressure, no collars, no obedience. Just success or the lack thereof. The way nature intended.

https://youtu.be/rJ1UJrz9XRo

Brad Higgins
Higgins Gundogs
Last edited by Higgins on Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: VIDEO: Training Pups With an Instructor Dog

Post by Sharon » Thu Jul 07, 2022 9:00 am

Well said. Very interesting. We always trained beagle pups with a mature beagle. Worked great.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Re: VIDEO: Training Pups With an Instructor Dog

Post by mask » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:08 pm

Your videos are always interesting and informative keep them coming when you can. Thanks for sharing.