Brittany takes off as soon the bird flushes

BigK75

Brittany takes off as soon the bird flushes

Post by BigK75 » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Hey Guys,

I have a Brittany who is 2.5 years old and I have been working only on steady to wing and shot. I have sent him to a trainer who was not able to get him under full control but got him some of the way there. He will hold the point all day long but as soon as the bird flushes he is gone. The trainer told me to use my ecollar (Dogtra 2700). I have it 60 and it doesn't even phase him. I gave him two vibrates and whao when he is on point but as soon as the bird flushes he is gone. I am holding continuous once he starts to move but he just takes off after the bird. I really hate using it any higher then that. I have tried the checkcord but that did completely nothing. I used it for months. At least with the collar most the time he just kind of acts spazzy and moves around a bit but is not steady any means. Anyone have any other thoughts on what I should or should I just give up on steady to wing and shot and let chase as soon as the bird flushes.

Thanks,

BigK75

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Brittany takes off as soon the bird flushes

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:58 pm

Sounds like you need to take a couple steps backwards in your training...seems like the dog hasn't been trained to do what you want or understand what you expect and the ecollar means nothing in the process. May be a good idea to put the checkcord to use and have another person help you during your training sessions. One to control the dog and one to handle the bird. Don't give the dog a retrieve if it doesn't perform as expected, once he understands what that is. If you have a NAVHDA chapter near, look them up.
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

TroughCreek

Post by TroughCreek » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:21 pm

Do you use a whoa command? If so you may want to go backwards and start there and work forward

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:52 am

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:58 pm
Sounds like you need to take a couple steps backwards in your training...seems like the dog hasn't been trained to do what you want or understand what you expect and the ecollar means nothing in the process. May be a good idea to put the checkcord to use and have another person help you during your training sessions. One to control the dog and one to handle the bird. Don't give the dog a retrieve if it doesn't perform as expected, once he understands what that is. If you have a NAVHDA chapter near, look them up.
Go back and use a proven programme. Good advice from troughcreek and switch grass.

https://www.amazon.ca/Training-Bird-Ron ... 46&sr=8-23
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jmez

Post by jmez » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:13 pm

Start over. Dog needs to learn whoa means whoa right now, not another step, zero exceptions. He shouldn't see another bird until that is done.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Sat Jul 09, 2022 2:00 pm

Best way I found to do it iswith the whoa command. I use the Delmar Smith whoa post, no waist collar. Work on whoa quite a bit so when you say whoa, the dog stops. When your reald to break the dog, back up to the training yard and whoa. I use the check cord to start them the e-collar. have your dog moving around and keep a dead bird in hand. bring the dog in and whoa it. When it stops, give it a sec then drop the dead bird at your feet. Dog moves I bump with the check cord and stop it. Continue till the dog comes around and you can pitch the bird some and that stops the dog. The dog is learning that a dead bird means whoa. Move on from there to a flying bird. Same drill, whoa wait a sec or two and release the bird, dog will break but stop it with the check cord and another whoa command. Move the whoa command and release of the bird closer together till you elminate the whoa command and the bird flying means whoa. From there I go to a bird with the flight feathers pulled and legs tied with pipe cleaner. This time with the whoa command first few time, drop the bird behind you. The dog will break 99% of the time and you really need to be between the dog and the bird right away. Continue till the dog no longer breaks anr then drop the live bird to the side, few times like that and toss it to the side a bit. What is happening it you are teaching the dog that a falling dead bird means whoa, a flushing live bird means whoa and a live bird walking on the ground means whoa. All you are doing is substitutioning an action for a word.
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!