Training fields

molotov_birddogs

Training fields

Post by molotov_birddogs » Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:43 pm

How do I find fields to train my 2 year old gsp in? Do I go to a nature trail or are there specific areas?

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Training fields

Post by Sharon » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:17 pm

In what State do you live?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

molotov_birddogs

Post by molotov_birddogs » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:27 pm

I live in the AL/FL area and I have no idea where I'm going to get access to an area where I can do gun or bird work. There's only one hunting dog trainer near me and they only train retreivers.
Last edited by molotov_birddogs on Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nels2413

Post by nels2413 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:43 am

I have no idea what is like where you live. I have a flock of homers and right now spend most of my time training in the back yard or at the industrial park in my town. Most of the time we just work on handling, but if will be doing bird work, I use a cap gun since it is in city limits. This would also be doable at other in town areas (parks, soccer fields, etc). In a month or so we will start heading to public land hunting areas to work on wild birds with a blank gun.
You might need to get more creative if you want to shoot birds and look further out for a training group, trainer, preserve to work with you.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 10:48 am

See if there are bird hunting preserves in your area. If you have access to wild birds, you may not want to join the preserve but they will have space and pigeons to train on. How much work you want to do based on the weather is up to you.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:03 am

See if you can find a NAVHDA club in Alabama that is close to you. They will have training grounds, birds, equipment, & people that can help you train. They have training days & you could go to one of them to see if you would like to join the club. Good luck with your dog.