Keeping dog in shape

Mk99

Keeping dog in shape

Post by Mk99 » Wed May 11, 2022 6:56 pm

So i was wondering how often do you run your dogs to keep them in shape. My WPG is not over weight or anything but the stamina seems to be lacking a little. We do a trail run/hike (3.7 miles for me) and then a some field working another day almost weekly.

She is 1.5 years hold and i am not able to run her everyday but would like to get the stamina/endrouce a little better.

On days we are not at the fields we play ball or fetch with dummies.

What is your workout schedule for your dogs?

Thanks

Tenderfoot

Re: Keeping dog in shape

Post by Tenderfoot » Wed May 11, 2022 10:09 pm

I road my dogs 3-4 times weekly at varying distances and speed, increasing distance as condition improves. I’m no expert by any means but It seems to help allot and keeps them and their pads conditioned.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu May 12, 2022 9:27 am

Mk99 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:56 pm
So i was wondering how often do you run your dogs to keep them in shape. My WPG is not over weight or anything but the stamina seems to be lacking a little. We do a trail run/hike (3.7 miles for me) and then a some field working another day almost weekly.

She is 1.5 years hold and i am not able to run her everyday but would like to get the stamina/endrouce a little better.

On days we are not at the fields we play ball or fetch with dummies.

What is your workout schedule for your dogs?

Thanks
What I've highlighted sounds sufficient to me... daily exercise. Should be no problem with stamina at 1.5 years old; maybe the food is insufficient... protein/fat? What are you feeding the dog?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Thu May 12, 2022 2:09 pm

IMO if you want to maintain a fitness level in a dog, free running, playing with bumpers and such several times a week will do that just fine. I let my guys run around in the back yard for a little while each day and they seem to stay pretty much fit. Free running a dog will also allow the dog to stretch and flex itself. Having a dog chase bumpers and then turn and burn back to you will help with agility and flexibility.

However, if you want to "build" endurance, free running ain't gonna git 'er done, unless you do a whole lot of it, and I mean hours, which might not be wise with a young dog such as you have. To build muscle and endurance you have to put the dog under physical stress. Think of building muscle mass and endurance as if it was lifting weights. Making the dog pull, even for 10 to 15 minutes, against resistance will both build musculature and endurance. I used to put a dog in harness and clip the harness to an 8" wide weightlifter's belt(to save my back) and road the dog around the neighborhood. I would do that two or three times a week or so, and gradually increase the roading time, as the dog got stronger. With a young dog, such as you have, when the dog stops pulling, you need to stop also, because you do not want to over stress the joints which are still developing and forming. A dog that is three years old is pretty much fully formed and can take more stress, but please be careful with your youngster, especially as the weather gets warmer. Carrying water is also a wise precaution.

The reason I liked doing it on foot was that I could instantly feel when the dog got tired and it was time to stop, water and put the dog at heel for the slow walk back. I used to start when the dog was about a year or so old...but I would be very careful and observant...keeping the sessions short.

I found that if I could get a dog to pull steadily for 20-25 minutes in harness, it could run flat out full tilt in front of a horse for a half hour with gas in the tank at the end. If I got the dog to pull for 40-45 minutes during the summer(typically in the evenings), it could go hard for an hour in front of a horse and finish strong, even when it was warm. Heat tolerance and endurance in heat is much more of a challenge for dogs with lots of fur than for the pointers I run so your expectations need to be adjusted downward in the heat for a wire or drath.

RayG

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Thu May 12, 2022 6:13 pm

It is summer, or will be. You do not state your location, but you've got a heavily built dog with a coat. I would be cautious. Your dog is not a Pointer. Plenty of time to improve stamina when the weather changes in the fall.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu May 12, 2022 7:34 pm

As Steve007 stated, hyperthermia is a real concern with dogs in the summer months, so is keeping a dog’s pads. At least it is where I live. It’s too hot even at first light to get much exercise done here. But, dogs fed a high fat diet (hence Sharon’s question) can get into condition, in pretty short order. Even sled dogs take it easy on the conditioning during the summer months. I let them romp around the yard morning and evening and try to get them in the water once or twice a week. Summer is a good time for mental stimulation with yard and bench or barrel work though. That said, I don’t need a dog in shape for any early trials, so completely understand those who have to fit in more conditioning this time of year.

Come fall and winter, I ease them into it with free running every other day for a few weeks and then start mixing in roading. Once we start putting in real work, I usually keep it to three to four days a week. Daylight permitting I prefer to get them out in the field on wild coveys. When daylight starts to get scarce I usually road them on my mountain bike at night. We usually work up to about 6-8 miles on cool evenings in the harness, free running is dependent on weather, usually shoot for 10-15 miles on the Astro weather permitting. Since roading on the bike, I am sure I am not putting as much resistance on the dog as someone on a quad or horse. I wouldn’t have an brakes left. They do benefit from some grade changes.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Dakotazeb

Post by Dakotazeb » Fri May 13, 2022 10:15 am

I live on the edge of town and have some grass fields within walking distance. I take my Brittany there about 4 times a week and let her free run for about 30 minutes at a time. Seems to keep her in shape in the off season. Only problem this time of year is ticks. Had her out this morning and already picked 3 off her and 2 off myself.
Janee's August Breeze - Bree
http://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree. ... erations=5

NSTRA Champion Godfather's Dakota Elle 2008-2016
https://gundogcentral.com/view_pedigree ... erations=5

Mk99

Post by Mk99 » Sat May 14, 2022 7:34 am

Thanks everyone for the comments, some good information and ideas.