Leash Manners

Elhewramblinman

Leash Manners

Post by Elhewramblinman » Tue May 10, 2022 7:14 pm

What techniques does everyone use to get their pup to stop pulling like a mule on the check-cord? I’ve seen articles of people using pinch collars, e- collars, slip style leads, ect. Any suggestions would be great. Dog is about to choke himself out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Re: Leash Manners

Post by cjhills » Wed May 11, 2022 5:37 am

Here is a basic fact of leash training. The dog can't pull unless you use steady resistance. You need some form of pressure and release, the idea being to teach the dog to give to pressure. I use a choke chain. Some use a wonder lead or a stiff leash of some sort. Whatever your choice is, they all use the same principal quick tug and release. The tug needs to be quite hard at first. Dogs are masters at learning to avoid pressure and eventually you will never feel him on the leash.
My 80 lb. 12 year old daughter could control a 1200lb horse. She did not out muscle the horse.......Cj

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Re: Leash Manners

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 11, 2022 9:41 am

If you take a tip from the retriever trainers and use a heeling stick, things go quickly. You have given the dog a visual barrier, making it clear to the dog exactly where his place is. I pinch collar and choke chain do the same thing but in my opinion, not in as clear a manor.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.