Dog running out the door

Firedad

Dog running out the door

Post by Firedad » Fri May 06, 2022 11:12 pm

Need help on how to teach my dog to wait for his que before charging out the front door. My wife threatened to let him go next time.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Re: Dog running out the door

Post by slistoe » Sat May 07, 2022 7:58 am

How old is your dog and what commands does he know already?

Firedad

Post by Firedad » Sat May 07, 2022 9:03 am

He’s 7 months, he knows whoa, down, come, we don’t sit often but he knows sit, used to do better with place but that’s gone with the wind. Going to do more formal place training to get that back. He seems to be acting out. Granted he is a child. My main problem is I need to find time for my hard working wife to have her do her own training time with him plus also instilling the place training again.

slistoe
GDF Junkie

Post by slistoe » Sat May 07, 2022 9:37 am

Put him in a down before opening the door - every time. And I mean every time - if you are not consistent he will think the behavior is optional.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:45 am

Your problem is simply a lack of training and a lack of consistency. Admittedly, a young dog cannot concentrate or hold a sit as long as an older dog, but there's no reason he should act like a hooligan.

First of all just teach him to hold a sit under distraction. You should do this in your backyard and be sure to keep him on a lead. Tell him to sit, stay and then take the step to your right and a step to your left. If he breaks, just tell them nobody moves bouncing back to a sit position. Gradually extend the time and your movement. I used to eventually run in circles around one of my dogs, making noises like a choo-choo train. It didn't matter. Stay means stay.

Always have him on lead when he goes out the front door. I assume you do, but you didn't say so. Always put him on a sit, if he moves on his own, bounce him back. You absolutely need to have a release word to move, regardless of whether it's your front door or practicing in your backyard. It is not up to him to determine when to move. You need an unusual release word, NOT "OK' . I use "free."

This should not be a problem. He is a young dog and you need to gradually increase his ability to concentrate and hold the sit under distraction. You need consistency at the front door, and you need a release word.

When you get around to it, put him in a real beginning obedience class. Make sure the instructors have genuine credentials, which means they have put a CDX or UD obedience titles on a dog.

You may also want to use a down or whoa command in place of sit, but the concepts of increasing distractions, keeping him on a lead, release word and absolute consistency are the same.

Firedad

Post by Firedad » Sat May 07, 2022 3:03 pm

Thank you for the response. I agree it is a lack of training and consistency. My wife says I should have waited until I retire to try this for the first time. Where we lack in training the most is having my wife and kids involved so my pup will learn to listen to them. It’s hard because both of our schedules are conflicting and very busy

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Sat May 07, 2022 9:04 pm

Firedad wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 3:03 pm
Thank you for the response. I agree it is a lack of training and consistency. My wife says I should have waited until I retire to try this for the first time. Where we lack in training the most is having my wife and kids involved so my pup will learn to listen to them. It’s hard because both of our schedules are conflicting and very busy
One person needs to train the dog. That would be you. 2 5-minute sessions in the backyard as above including work on come and down every day seven days a week + four or five 30 - second run-throughs at the front door a day for a month or so will help, but you really should track down an obedience school where the instructor has credentials as above. You cannot all train the dog. Once he works for you consistently, you can do some transitioning to them.

Firedad

Post by Firedad » Sat May 07, 2022 9:31 pm

Ok thanks. I have worked on recall and down. It’s only in this particular case where he won’t stay down or come when called. Any other circumstance he listens well. Even when training around other dogs. The issue we have had is when I’m not their to give him those ques

RyanDoolittle

Post by RyanDoolittle » Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm

Call it tough love but this works for me. I close the door in their face. Same way I taught them not to charge the crate door. When they charge they run into the door. They are made to stand still and not move, the dog isn't released until it's standing still with the door open. Doesn't take many times they learn to stop charging the door and to wait.

Just need to teach the dog the cure to go isn't the door opening, it's your voice.

The other thing I would do is let the dog run the front yard. He needs to learn that there is nothing fun out there, all the fun happens wherever you are.

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Mon May 09, 2022 7:07 am

RyanDoolittle wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:04 pm
Call it tough love but this works for me. I close the door in their face. Same way I taught them not to charge the crate door. When they charge they run into the door. They are made to stand still and not move, the dog isn't released until it's standing still with the door open. Doesn't take many times they learn to stop charging the door and to wait.

Just need to teach the dog the cure to go isn't the door opening, it's your voice.

The other thing I would do is let the dog run the front yard. He needs to learn that there is nothing fun out there, all the fun happens wherever you are.
BINGO!!

I do the same thing with mine...always have. They stand at the kennel door on a whoah and if they try to come out...they get a face full of chain link...EVERY TIME. And I ain't nice about it. They get stopped...cold. Say nothing...just close the door in their face. It does not take many repetitions, even for the most stubborn lunkhead. If your dog is in the house, it is even more important( I think) that they wait for a verbal or physical release to go through the door.

I do not need a 60# dog charging through the doorway and taking my legs out from under me in the process. Been there and it ain't fun. To me, it does not matter WHO gives the command and who in the home does the training. The dog HAS to obey everyone in the home for obedience commands because the dog HAS to be subservient to every human in the home. No exceptions.

RayG

BigTub

Post by BigTub » Mon May 09, 2022 9:39 am

Both my Britts are pretty good about not releasing till I allow them. Now they were both professionally broke, but it is amazing how fast they will digress. So, ever door or gate we go through, they hold until I release them. It takes GREAT consistency! Another friend does not practice this discipline and his dog is notorious for busting birds. My Britts are 3 and 2 yr old, though. The 2 yr old is just beginning to come out of the puppy hijinks stuff. The older became a very reasonable house dog at 1.5 yr. I used slam the door in their face like already said, in addition to the e-collars If I have them on but that is usually reserved for field work away from doors. Consequently, they seem to do well with the woah command.

ckirsch

Post by ckirsch » Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 am

You're getting some good advice. I also train my dogs not to jump into the pickup box until instructed to do so. It's not cool when someone has a new Weatherby laying on the tailgate and a dog lands on top of it jumping in. Additionally, I work on training mine to remain in their boxes until called - this pays dividends when I'm training as I can leave the tailgate down and box open, and tell the dog to kennel up when I'm planting birds or whatever. Dog goes into the box and remains there until called. Saves me some steps. The older I get the more I appreciate that.

You have a challenge with your family members handling the dog. I've been through that myself - they all think I'm a hard "bleep" when it comes to the dogs, but I get everyone together and explain that we are all doing the dog a favor by being consistent in what is asked of him. Once trained, not only is the dog behaving in a manner that makes life easier for the entire family, but also saves the dog from future scolding, as well as keeping it out of trouble. A dog rushing through a door can result into a dog fight, the dog getting into the street, or maybe getting after a mailman or UPS driver. Lots of reasons to have it wait for permission before going through the door.

Consistency and patience will get you where you want to be....

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Mon May 09, 2022 1:26 pm

ckirsch wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:57 am
You're getting some good advice. I also train my dogs not to jump into the pickup box until instructed to do so. It's not cool when someone has a new Weatherby laying on the tailgate and a dog lands on top of it jumping in. Additionally, I work on training mine to remain in their boxes until called - this pays dividends when I'm training as I can leave the tailgate down and box open, and tell the dog to kennel up when I'm planting birds or whatever. Dog goes into the box and remains there until called. Saves me some steps. The older I get the more I appreciate that.
Beyond the benefits mentioned above, any veterinarian will tell you he has seen a lot of dogs that have serious tendon injuries frequently requiring surgery from dogs being allowed to jump in or out of SUVs. If he has seen hunting dogs in pickup trucks, it will be the same. People do it and generally get away with it when the dog is young, but it is a very different story as the dog ages. I lift my dogs into and out of my tall SUV (or just boost them up), and they wait until I do so. Further, if dogs are in the habit of jumping out of a vehicle without waiting for a specific command, they can get squashed by a passing car. Many have been, and it is a result of thoughtlessness on the part of their owners.

CKirsch has a very valid point, with positives that go well beyond what he has addressed.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon May 09, 2022 2:58 pm

Skoosh! I'm gonna get a wrap!
Jumping up uses and induces muscles , also encourages and builds them. Jumping down puts' huge amount of pressure on the shock absorbers on the front brakes (Only True Bikers will know what I'm saying) .Dog still jumping out or jumping in? Where did this one get off base? Glad I deleted mine Shaz. Makes me look like I never knew how to close a gate ,

Swampbilly

Post by Swampbilly » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:57 pm

Post is a little old, but I'd have the dog on a lead in front of the door for more control,every*single*time you open it commanding SIT.
Pup might SIT all day long on a SIT command, but inside is a place that commands are routinely not re-enforced.
They're situational learners-
Put 'em in the situation and re-enforce like you would any where else.