Harness for a hunting dog

Boonez40

Harness for a hunting dog

Post by Boonez40 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:04 am

I have a Bloodhound that is 11 weeks old. I need to get her started wearing a harness for getting her started on a blood drag.

What is a good harness that will grow with her. I understand that she will grow out of it at some point and I will have to purchase another one for a larger dog.

Also what is a good 30 foot leash ?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: Harness for a hunting dog

Post by Garrison » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:34 pm

As you can probably tell by the lack of responses, this isn’t something that most here are familiar with. We have bird dogs, but many of us do road are dogs (harness them and have them pull for exercise) and do use check cords, although not 30’. The host of this forum, gundogsupply.com has a good selection of roading harnesses and check cords. They are a great company, with the largest selection of dog supplies in the market. Included with that is fair pricing, and customer service which is uncommonly good.

I would suggest you check out their website and see if you can find what you are looking for. The “grow into” part will probably be problematic, but I imagine you will find what you need for each stage of development.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:25 am

There are some here who train for the German tests which include blood tracking. I would think they could help. Perhaps reask the question as help with getting started blood tracking ?

Good luck and let us know how it progresses.

GunDog Supply is a good recommendation!

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:21 pm

Maybe I can be of some help. I have done quite a bit of tracking training with my versatile dogs, and this is the equipment I have found useful. The 30' line should be something made of permatack or a similar product. I got mine from Palomine lines about 8 years ago. It is orange, 30' long with a brass scissor snap on the end. This line doesn't tangle, is visible, and won't rot. It will burn your hands if the dog pulls it hard enough through your hands, so you should use gloves. I like Mechanix gloves with a mesh back and padded palms.
Some people track with a collar, and wide, European style collars are available through United Blood Trackers online. I prefer a harness. At first, I tried a skijoring harness, but it is not as sturdy or steady on the dog's body as I would like. I now use a HURTTA brand harness. They are very adjustable and fit both deep chested GSPs and lean Brittanies or blocky Springers and Labs. You will need more than one size as your dog grows, of course. They are made in Finland and you may have to look around to find a North American dealer online, but they are out there. I have orange harnesses, but you can get them in other colours. You could also look for a supplier of harnesses for police service dogs. I hope this helps. Have a blast with your pup this summer. One of the people in our tracking group had a bloodhound/bluetick cross and she could track like a machine. Great to watch her. The versatile dogs track with a looser, more heads up style, but they can get the job done too.

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:32 pm

Sorry, I also should have mentioned that www.unitedbloodtrackers.org also has a lot of info to get you started tracking and there are many training groups across the country that you could join. As well, at her young age, you could just use a 6' leash and flat collar on your dog for a few weeks until you can get a harness and longline. Start by dragging a small piece of raw liver across the yard, 15' or so, laying it downwind, so the wind is blowing on her back end as she tracks. Then she will have to keep her head down. A few tracks like that, and you can start ageing the tracks a little. There is lots of help and info from UBT.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:12 pm

That's a great help Marysburg. Nice to see you back. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:45 pm

Thanks Sharon, it's always great to check in here. Thanks for moderating for us.

Boonez40

Post by Boonez40 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:45 pm

I found something that will work at Tractor supply till she stops growing. [IMG]//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202204 ... e8b378.jpg[/IMG]ImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

weimdogman

Post by weimdogman » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:18 pm

Nice looking pup!

That looks more like a handle then a harness 🙂😉

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:32 pm

That harness looks great. Have fun with your pup this summer!

K9BigDog

Post by K9BigDog » Tue May 03, 2022 6:42 am

Former police K9 handler here. I hope this is allowed, but check out Ray Allen Manufacturing. (rayallen.com) I/we used to get a lot of our LE K9 supplies through them.
Apologies if this isn't allowed.