9mo Old GSP Training

FLGSPMama

9mo Old GSP Training

Post by FLGSPMama » Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:42 am

Hello! New to the forum, I actually found this forum through a project for school! Anyways in reading some of the posts I thought you guys could help me so I decided to join and post! We have a 9mo old GSP that we started working with as soon as we got him and he was very proficient in sit, down, paw, stay, come and place but lately he is ignoring as simple of commands as sit even while wearing a training collar on vibrate. Do you guys have any tips or tricks to get past this training regression we are experiencing? We have our first session with a trainer this Sunday for loose leash walking and in communication with her I told her he was already able to do the other things they typically train puppies on but of course now as we approach the session he is going backward.
The place we are taking him for training also offers dock diving, we live in Florida so there are not many docks that you can let your dog jump off of as most bodies of water have gators but we have been frequenting the dog beach and he loves to retrieve his bumper. Is there anything else we can do to prepare him for dock diving?

deseeker

Re: 9mo Old GSP Training

Post by deseeker » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:42 am

Welcome to the forum. Your dog is testing you to see how much he can get away with. Every time you are letting him get away with NOT doing a command you are TRAINING him he does not have to do the command. Pick him up and put him back where he ignorned the command and make him do it. You have an e collar and by useing stimulation, he will learn he can't ignore a command that he knows. I'm assuming that the trainer you are going to knows how to use an e-collar. They can show you the proper way to correct useing your e-collar. Once again do not let the dog ignore a command it knows. In dock diving the dogs are obsessed with getting the dummy in their mouth so keep retreiving with the pup. Since your trainer is into dock diving, they can give you some drills to do on land that you and the dog can do. Good luck with your pup. We need to see a picture of your dog :D

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:02 am

Welcome to the forum FGSPMama.

Heard about us in school? Interesting. Consider posting intro info in the "General Chat -Introduce Yourself " section.

Mostly hunting dog training here, but as posted above by deseeker , many training habits cross many dog skills required.

PS
You will need 5 posts approved before you can post/PM freely. This is to control spammers.
Let me know anytime I can help you with your use of the forum.

Sharon (mod)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

jmez

Post by jmez » Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:17 am

Never give a command to a puppy you are not in a position to enforce. If they don't obey, enforce it every time. Consistency is key. Get a check cord so you are able to get ahold of the dog and enforce commands.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk