Train 6m Puppy to Steady to Flush or Let Chase?

OceanMon

Train 6m Puppy to Steady to Flush or Let Chase?

Post by OceanMon » Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:50 pm

Hi there

I'm curious if I should let my 6.5 month old puppy chase my launched pigeons or if I should train it to be steady to flush now.

In my head, I can see the merits of either path. Curious if there is consensus on the best path.

Thanks!

Garrison

Re: Train 6m Puppy to Steady to Flush or Let Chase?

Post by Garrison » Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:17 pm

You may want to read the recent thread in the training section about a 4 month old pup. It may not answer your question about group consensus, but it may help you slow down a bit and head in the direction which works best for you and your pup.

Garrison

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:38 am

I agree. Read the referenced thread and make your own choice, based on your training abilities and opportunities and the demeanor of the dog itself.

There is no RIGHT answer for everyone and every dog. You know your situation and you know your dog. If you read the referenced thread, you know where I come down on this subject and why. Your dog...your call.

Just a thought... if you have pigeons, and a check cord or e-collar, and know how to use them...most dogs will eventually see the futility of trying to catch something that will never land on the ground. Most will decide to point and hold, so YOU can kill the bird they cannot catch.

Good luck and good training.

RayG

OceanMon

Post by OceanMon » Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:57 am

Thanks for your responses!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 pm

There has got to be more than letting a dog initially chase or not.
Folks let their dog chase initially and they end up with a good hunting partner. Folks don't let their dog ever chase and they end up with a good hunting partner.
I think that whatever the method , consistency in training/ enforcing your requests consistently is the answer.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

mask

Post by mask » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:31 pm

Once a young dog shows a good prey drive and the strong desire to chase It is time to steady or take away the chase. This is just my opinion and it has worked for me on countless dogs.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:39 pm

My thoughts too.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Willie T

Post by Willie T » Thu Apr 07, 2022 4:12 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:20 pm
There has got to be more than letting a dog initially chase or not.
Folks let their dog chase initially and they end up with a good hunting partner. Folks don't let their dog ever chase and they end up with a good hunting partner.
I think that whatever the method , consistency in training/ enforcing your requests consistently is the answer.
There are a lot of variables that go into it. On one end of the spectrum is hunting big country with open cover and low densities of birds that are prone to run and big running dogs operating independently are the norm. On the other far end of the spectrum is hunting release birds on a preserve or heavy cover in big woods where a close working dog is the norm.
Then there is the handler. There are some who take pride in directing where and how the dog hunts, including how far it ranges, and how it handles its birds. There are some that want the dog to stay on point until released on every bird. Then there are handlers that want a dog that opens up and is not afraid to hunt out of site of the handler as long as the dog goes to the front and on its own keeps up with the handler. For these handlers the dogs own the birds and are expected to independently handle the birds, relocating independently, keeping the wind on runners and putting enough pressure on them to get them to sit without putting them in the air.
I did not even touch on field trials or brace work.
Where a handler and the birds he pursues fall on that scale play a significant role in how they bring a puppy along and when they de- chase their dogs. Then there is the dog. Most will realize the futility of chasing while for some it is so self rewarding it must be addressed and a standard must be established and maintained. Somewhere in all of that is some wisdom about the pitfall of Internet dog training.
I think it is a case of different horses for different courses….
Willie

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:05 pm

Excellent read. Appreciate your participation here Willie. :)

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:24 pm

Sharon wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:05 pm
Excellent read. Appreciate your participation here Willie. :)
Yes
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-