E-collars

CRob1511

E-collars

Post by CRob1511 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:36 pm

Currently run a garmin sport pro but not real impressed with the response time of it. It seems as if it get slower with time. Also feel like the difference in stim is too drastic with only ten levels. Was looking at a dogtra t&b 2700 or maybe the garmin 550 pro. I was thinking maybe it’s the collar part of the garmin but not really sure. I have a pointing lab and definitely need a some type of tone for sweeps. Any input helps. Thanks

Coveyrise64

Re: E-collars

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:27 pm

~
The Sport Pro uses the same collar as the Pro550.

Try using the longer prongs....

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

CRob1511

Post by CRob1511 » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:20 am

Yeah I’ve had the long prongs on from the get go. It’s not a contact issue it’s a lack of adjustability with only 10 levels of stim.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Tue Feb 22, 2022 12:40 pm

Welcome to the forum. :)

I may be missing something here, but why would one need more than 10 levels of stimulation?
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:12 pm

I have wonder about that also. The one I have always used only has 6 levels, for me that is is plenty. I do find the lowest level is a bit low for anything but intro. I have never used the highest one. It would seem pretty complicated to go thru 10 0r 20 levels......Cj

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:14 pm

My old Tri-Tronics Field 90 G3 ran a bit too hot, especially on a softer dog. Setting 1 imperceptible, 2 was the working setting on the neck, okay for correction while moving but a bit too hot for a cue, they would shake their heads when cued, 3 elicited a yelp when breaking the dog off a chase. I never went higher except for snake breaking and it pretty well rolled the dog. On a Labrador, the reactions were about the same starting with 2 as imperceptible. The Garmin products I have used since, seem to have brought those levels down a fair bit to a more usable range of levels.

I also think the collar designs over the years may have changed the feel/style of the stimulation. It feels like more of a muscle twitch and less of a bite. My current collar, an E-Collar Technologies has a much different feel when I test it on myself before putting it on the dog than my old Tri-Tronics did or Garmin. It is more of a blunt muscle twitch feel with 100 levels on rheostat dial that can be locked into two settings, low and high. One button low, both buttons together is a high stimulation. You do the same in reverse for the second collar. It works great when I have one collar on the neck and one on the flank and the buttons are also color coated to match the two collars (red and black). Much different than the Tri-Tronics and different than my Garmin which seems to be somewhere in the middle and doubles as a bark collar. I know a very well known trainer who uses the e-e-collar tech. as a yard trainer and flank collar because of adjustability, the fact that the stimulation works well for cues and they make a collar with a bungee loop that works well for flank use when the dog is running. He suggested it to me. At high levels it will stop a dog on a deer chase, but I never get the yelp induced like the field 90 did at a much lower setting.

To Sharon’s question, I don’t need more than 10 settings, I only use two out of 100 on each dog, but I can dial it into exactly where each dog needs it. I am sure I could get close enough with Garmin’s current collars. I did need more range than the 10 settings the Tri-Tronics allowed me.

Garrison
Last edited by Garrison on Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Tue Feb 22, 2022 2:22 pm

I have trained a few dogs and my 25+ year old... "go to" e-collar has 6 levels of stim with two buttons to deliver 1/3, or 2/3 the selected momentary stim level/ If pressed together the full momentary stim level is delivered. There is a separate button to deliver continuous stim at the selected level. Honestly, I mostly just tap the continuous button when appropriate.

I recently purchased a newer collar setup because it had a "vibrate" function, which I use on the dog's flank for bird work. I have found that the "vibrate" stim is usually all I need to cue the dog to stand, and the dog's do not usually even react negatively to the vibration cue, as they sometimes will when using even very low stim levels on the belly.

RayG

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:35 am

10 levels is MORE than enough to train any dog on the planet. Test it on yourself to see response time. Set it on one or two, put two prongs on two finger tips, and hit the button. Better yet, ask your wife to hit the button; she'll be only too glad to. Hint: don't let her control the stim level you're testing.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:05 pm

gonehuntin' wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:35 am
10 levels is MORE than enough to train any dog on the planet. Test it on yourself to see response time. Set it on one or two, put two prongs on two finger tips, and hit the button. Better yet, ask your wife to hit the button; she'll be only too glad to. Hint: don't let her control the stim level you're testing.
Perhaps my problem with the Field 90’s 10 levels of stimulation was, it only had 6 levels of stimulation. Had to go back and check, haven’t had it for a few years.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-