Recommended Training/Tracking Collars

BlessedGirl

Recommended Training/Tracking Collars

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:35 pm

What is your favorite GPS collar and why?

What is your favorite training/e-collar collar and why?
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Re: Recommended Training/Tracking Collars

Post by RayGubernat » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:41 pm

BG -

As far as GPS's are concerned, I have and like the Astro 430. I use it with GPS ONLY collars since I field trial. I honestly would not recommend the 430 or anything like it for both tracking and e-collar corrections because, if you have to look at the screen to issue a correction...you ain't looking at the dog and your timing is waaaaay off.

I have an ancient Tritronics Flyway Special that I have been using for about 25 years now. If I need to issue a correction i can reach down and press the button I need without even looking. I use it a LOT, especially when doing obedience work with the collar on the dog's neck. I recently acquired a DT 1825 that has way more features than I need, but I use it in one mode and can pretty much duplicate the performance i have with the older tritronics. I do like the DT because it gives me the option of using a vibrate cue and a tone cue. I actually use the DT a lot on the dog's waist when doing whoa work, because iIcan set the collar on VERY low stim (like 1) and get a response. One the dog has been tickled a few times, the collar on vibrate on the waist is generally all that is needed to cue the dog. If the dog is not being a total brickhead, the vibrate may be all it needs to remind them of what I want, even when it is on the neck.

The only thing I use the tone feature for is an overlay on "come in", and it seems to work pretty well for that.

If I could only have one unit, i would seriously consider the Garmin unit that has the barrel type transmitter with the GPS arrow at the base of the barrel.

I have found that having a GPS unit on a dog can be extremely helpful for training. The conventional wisdom about not correcting a dog you cannot see can be revisited when the dog is fitted with a GPS locator. If you know the terrain you are training in, and your unit is set on the fastest response time, you can often have a VERY good idea of what the dog is doing, even when it is out of your sight and you can use your voice to help the dog do what it should.

RayG

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Feb 08, 2022 12:35 pm

The collar combo Ray recommended is the Garmin 550 plus. I haven’t used one personally, but if I was in the market I would most likely do the same. The Garmin Alpha has limited functionality as a training collar compared to the 550 plus, and it has been reported here that it does not function well on more than one dog due to having to switch screens.

I run an Astro 320 and a separate collar, it has served me well and I do like a bit of redundancy, if a battery fails on one, I still have the other. I paired the Astro to my watch, so it doesn’t leave my vest very often and map functionality is not required. Compass and distance to the dog is all I use. I have had tritronics and Garmin training collars, never a problem with either. Some of the Garmin products have a built in bark collar which is nice. Once I started utilizing a flank collar I wasn’t happy with my old tritronics variability in stimulation, it was either too low or too high. I purchased a collar that doesn’t get very much coverage, E-collar technologies ET-800 and like it’s two collar functionality and low stimulation settings. I can independently adjust each collar for a low and high setting and it can all be controlled with the touch of just two buttons. It works well for two dogs or a collar on the neck and one on the flank at two different settings. The puck seems a bit weird at first, but with the leather holster it is actually really handy and fits well on the vest.

If you go the two item route, Garmin Astro is the way to go for tracking and you will be well served with all the major brands, Dogtra, DT, Garmin or my (step child) E-collar Technologies. If it is a combo unit, than it is the Garmin 550 plus for me.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

birds

Post by birds » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:00 pm

I don't have experience with any except the Garmin 550+. so.......for what its worth:
I love it - its easy to use, accurate and has worked really, really well for me. Its not a cheap set up, but I've had few issues and Garmin Support has been absolutely awesome in helping me work thru them over the phone . If you need to follow your hound real time over the landscape its not for you. But if having a direction and a distance is good enough (its been plenty enough for me) coupled with correction is all you need then its the way to go. You won't know how far your dog ran that day (tho Garmnin has an app for that which pairs with the collar) but as interesting as that might be it doesn't really help you know where your dog is, whether he's on point or keep him from chasing the 5 deer that he just jumped. FWIW I have mine paired with a TT15 Mini collar and its fine on my 50# setter. Transmitter is simple and works easily w/gloves in any glare - no touch screens. But again - this is my only experience with all the collars out there.

Steve007

Post by Steve007 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:57 pm

Worth noting that while there is nothing wrong and a lot right with a GPS unit, quite a few of us get away very nicely with an E collar/beeper combination. Many do not care for the sound of the beeper (though there are many variations to the "truck-backing-up" sound), and you can just run the dog on silent mode, using locate if you think you need it or point-only mode. One of my dogs was a serious horseback field champion with quite a few wins or placements (Ray saw her work and win, though not with me at the time), and I never had any problem at all hunting her or quite a few other dogs with a collar/beeper combination.

Depending on your age and technological astuteness, GPS may not be right for everyone. I know several people that just work their dogs with bells. It actually sounds kind of nice and old-timey, though not what I would choose. In any case, there are options, as well as significant cost and ease-of-use differentials.

DonF
GDF Junkie

Post by DonF » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 pm

If I was to start over with collars at this point I'd go to Gun Dog supply and check out the Garmin ALPHA10 collar. will handle up to 20 dogs and cost only$400! That would be a steal!
I pity the man that has never been loved by a dog!

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:56 pm

DonF wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:35 pm
If I was to start over with collars at this point I'd go to Gun Dog supply and check out the Garmin ALPHA10 collar. will handle up to 20 dogs and cost only$400! That would be a steal!
. At GDS that is for hand held only. Add another $300 for a collar.
There are some 430 sets out there now used, but you need to also run another e collar also. That is what I prefer. Also early alpha 200 sets. None of the old sets pair with the new stuff. I would never be without a Garmin again. Total control for a big running dog and find lots more birds.

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:41 pm

I use a garmin Astro 430 and Garmin tritronics field 70. I don't need a tracking device for most training and on my older dogs I don't need a training collar. I could run ten dogs on my field 70 if I wantedto.it would get a bit confusing and tough on the dogs but it can be done.........Cj

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:28 pm

I checked out most of the ones suggested. As a first-timer, I definitely need a GPS since my dog is one to go a bit further than I'm comfortable with, and I get a little stressed out when she disappears. (I wish I could run down steep, log-and-slash-covered hillsides and disappear into the forest as fast as she does.😅) The country around here includes lots of hills and trees so it's easy to lose sight even when she's not too far away.

Ray, did you mean SportDog 1825? I couldn't find a DT 1825 anywhere.

The Garmin Pro 550+ looks great to me but the only thing I wish was that it had topographical maps. I live right off the highway and there are other roads nearby as well, so I'd like to be able to let my setter out of the kennel during the day and keep an eye on her so she's not leaving the property. I've heard bad things about the Alpha/any touchscreen combo units for the same reason that Ray suggested, but I'm not sure how much I'll be needing to train multiple dogs at once in the future. I may end up going for the Pro 550+ or else an Astro (for the maps) with a separate e-collar.

Is there much of a difference running a combo unit as opposed to separate units?
cjhills wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:41 pm
I use a garmin Astro 430 and Garmin tritronics field 70
Cj, Is the field 70 much different from the Pro 70 or is it the same thing? Do you use it for training or to just correct bad behavior in dogs that are already trained? I heard the Pro 70 is better for use in correcting behavioral problems because of the limited levels of stimulation.

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:10 pm

BlessedGirl wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:28 pm
The Garmin Pro 550+ looks great to me but the only thing I wish was that it had topographical maps. I live right off the highway and there are other roads nearby as well, so I'd like to be able to let my setter out of the kennel during the day and keep an eye on her so she's not leaving the property. I've heard bad things about the Alpha/any touchscreen combo units for the same reason that Ray suggested, but I'm not sure how much I'll be needing to train multiple dogs at once in the future. I may end up going for the Pro 550+ or else an Astro (for the maps) with a separate e-collar.
The Garmin 200 and 200i use buttons to eliminate most of the touch screen functions like the Alpha 100. Considerably more expensive though. I have the Pro 550 and use it primarily for training and use my Alpha 100 for hunting. Most people I know are using the Pro 550+. Those that want to track their dogs link the Pro550+ with the Garmin Explore App on the cell phone to see maps and tracks.

cr
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:38 am

Oh cool. I didn't realize that about the Pro 550+. I'd have to upgrade my phone for the map option though.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Tue Feb 15, 2022 12:11 pm

BlessedGirl wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:38 am
Oh cool. I didn't realize that about the Pro 550+. I'd have to upgrade my phone for the map option though.
I rarely if ever use the map function to track a dog, it’s much much easier to have a point on the compass and a distance. I have used it to check my distance from the truck when I was at a new spot. Not because I was lost, but rather to gage my return trip to the truck. Sometimes when chukar hunting on the third day, I have to ask myself “are these legs going to get me back if I keep getting further away?” :D

If you want mapping functionality for hunting, your money is much better spent on a subscription to onX or BaseMap. Know what is public, private and you can download high res maps ahead of time with areas you are interested in pegged.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Coveyrise64

Post by Coveyrise64 » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:31 pm

BlessedGirl wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:38 am
This is a screen shot from the Explore App map. It is a topo map. You can zoom out for better resolution of the topo features. Color aerial imagery maps are available as well. I have it linked to my Instinct watch but haven't used it to do any tracking. I'm pretty sure you can add waypoints as well as using other tracking features. My phone is 7 years old so unless you still use a flip phone I think any android or iphone would work. The benefit is you can track if needed with the Pro550+ or leave the phone off.

Screenshot_resize.png

cr
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VC TJ's Highfalutin Hawkeye MH, UTI R.I.P. 4/29/05-12/18/18

Thunderhead's All Jacked Up R.I.P. "My Buddy" 9/9/09-1/27/14

VC TJ's Miss Filson MH, UTI R.I.P. 5/13/03-10/15/14

"I'd rather train for perfection than fix the problems of mediocrity" ~ Me

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:01 pm

Thar's good info to have! Yep, I'm one of those flip phone people.😝 My mom actually upgraded to a flip from a Nokia less than five years ago, so considering that... I'm not too bad.🤪 The rest of my family are "normal" though. The Pro 550+ really sounds like great fit. I'm going to be sticking around my native wilderness to hunt for the present, so the maps aren't necessary right now. I'll probably upgrade my phone sometime, so until then I should be fine with the Pro.

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:56 am

BlessedGirl wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:01 pm
Thar's good info to have! Yep, I'm one of those flip phone people.😝 My mom actually upgraded to a flip from a Nokia less than five years ago, so considering that... I'm not too bad.🤪 The rest of my family are "normal" though. The Pro 550+ really sounds like great fit. I'm going to be sticking around my native wilderness to hunt for the present, so the maps aren't necessary right now. I'll probably upgrade my phone sometime, so until then I should be fine with the Pro.
That a girl, $1000 dog collar and $25 phone! Good to see some people still do have their priorities in order. No wonder you fit in here so well. Typing this on my repurposed, newish to me, wife’s 6 year old reject phone.😉. It does have maps though. 🤣

Garrison
- Mark Twain-

birds

Post by birds » Thu Feb 17, 2022 9:09 am

As Garrison said your priorities are all squared up :D I think you'll be happy with the 550, tho I believe you should be able to get set up for way less than $1K. You can use the savings on all the other cascading expenses you'll need to spend bird dog money on :wink:

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:45 pm

Haha, oh dear! Well maybe that's good then. Birds, you're right about the cascading expenses. How did I get involved in this money pit anyways?🤣LOL Definitely worth it though. Wow, good for you, Garrison!

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:34 pm

I have a question on the Pro 550+. I noticed that however many times I calibrate it, usually it's off by feet or sometimes many yards. Example: say my dog is in the kennel and I walk the opposite way. It says my dog is 55 feet in front of me. Weird. But on longer distances I don't notice that as much. Like if it points towards the blueberry field and says she's 220 yds that way, she is (with the exception of one time when I was checking up on her from inside the house where the signal probably isn't that great). Is that normal to you Pro 550+ users?

The collar definitely makes life so much easier and less stressful. Now I know where she is when she's off leash or out of her kennel. She's happier too. Now she doesn't have to be in the kennel most of the day.

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:23 am

Did you update the collar when you got it? It works better if you have the latest update. Garmin has the information on their website. My buddy had to update his when he got it (his mini collar updates a different way then his regular size collar does--he has both size of collars).

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:32 am

No, I didn't know to do that. I'll have to try it. Thanks for the tip!

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:28 pm

200i (Garmin) is the BOMB! They fixed all of the issues the 200 had and now, as a combined tracking and training collar, I don't believe there is another out there it's equal or close to it. You can even add SOS to it if you're injured. Truly a phenomenal collar and very easy to use.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri May 27, 2022 5:06 pm

I did the update a while ago. There was only one available for the handheld and I don't think any for the collar. It didn't fix the problem and occasionally when the dog is right by my side the handheld will say it's something like 150ft (or yards) away. Maybe that's something all of them do? Or is it a dud... I don't know.