GSP noise sensitivity and gun shyness

bayleymay27

GSP noise sensitivity and gun shyness

Post by bayleymay27 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:13 pm

I’ve hit a wall that I can’t seem to get over with in my pups training. I have a GSP he’s 14 months. He is fine with all aspects of training and has a high bird drive. However a couple of months ago a rock was thrown through my window and my dog was sitting right next to the window when it happened. The sound was extremely loud. I didn’t really think anything of it and when I went out to continue with gun introduction a couple weeks later and he broke off the retrieve as soon as he heard the gun shot and came back to me. I gave him about 20 minutes to relax and let him retrieve some dead birds and he seemed to forget about it and was retrieving again. After about 30 more minutes I had him retrieve a dead bird and I fired off a shot as he was running to the dead bird. He stopped at the bird and cautiously trotted back to me. I knew something was up because he’s never acted like that. He’s been introduced to guns before but he is still in the training phase and I’m not quite sure what to do. At the park the other day someone was using a nail gun in the distance and the pop of the nail gun was enough to spook him mid retrieve. Being a first time trainer I don’t really know what’s going on. I’ve tried to go back to the beginning using pots and pans and banging on stuff when he’s hyper focused on things and he’s still acting a little spooky every now and then . I really hope that he isn’t ruined and you guys could help me out. I’ve been working with him since he was 6 months old and I’m not sure what to do next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Re: GSP noise sensitivity and gun shyness

Post by Garrison » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:11 pm

What has happened is, the dog was never introduced or conditioned to gunfire properly. Your further attempts are making the issue worse and harder to fix.

If your dog is still interested in chasing birds, you are lucky, and with knowledgeable/professional help it can probably be overcome. If you continue what you are doing, you may have a pet instead of a bird dog.

I have taken on a dog that was damaged from someone’s ill advised attempts to get a dog conditioned to gunfire. It required many many pigeons and many months of patient incremental work to overcome his fears, and at 13 years old, to this day he still comes unglued with loud noises that are not in a hunting situation.

You need to find hands on help to evaluate the dog before you exacerbate the problem any further. An internet search is probably going to get you in more trouble.

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

bayleymay27

Post by bayleymay27 » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:17 pm

Garrison wrote:What has happened is, the dog was never introduced or conditioned to gunfire properly. Your further attempts are making the issue worse and harder to fix.

If your dog is still interested in chasing birds, you are lucky, and with knowledgeable/professional help it can be overcome. If you continue what you are doing, you may have a pet instead of a bird dog.

I have taken on a dog that was damaged from ill advised attempts to get a dog conditioned to the gun. It required many many pigeons and many months of patient incremental work to overcome, and at 13 years old, to this day he comes unglued with loud noises that are not in a hunting situation.

You need to find hands on help before you exacerbate the problem any further. An internet search is probably going to get you in more trouble.

Garrison
Will do Garrison thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:32 pm

You’re not the first and surely not the last to create this issue. We all had a first dog and we all have unknowingly made mistakes, still do. Don’t beat yourself up, don’t guess anymore, and focus on the best next step for your dog. With some help you can still have a hunting partner for years to come. Best of luck!

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-