Training a Jack Russell Terrier Rabbit Dog

Nozzer

Training a Jack Russell Terrier Rabbit Dog

Post by Nozzer » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:05 am

Hello guys, got some questions for you regarding training a Jack Russell Terrier to be a rabbit dog. Now, I'm used to training bird dogs, I've got two Brittany's I've even hunted rabbits and porcupine over. That being said, I've inherited a 6 month old female Jack/Parsons Russell Terrier and I'm keen to train her on hunting rabbits. I've got a general idea of using scent lures etc. to train her on tracking and finding game. My question is, are there any books or specific websites that deal more in-depth with how to train a rabbit dog? Is there gear you would recommend for not losing the dog and keeping her relatively safe as she hunts? My idea is to just use an e-collar and general gun dog vest to protect her when she goes to ground.. Finally, when I hunt over this girl, should I be expecting her to complete hound the rabbit or call her off prior to shooting? Thank you so much for helping this novice. I am looking for any sage advice you can provide.

Garrison

Re: Training a Jack Russell Terrier Rabbit Dog

Post by Garrison » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:14 am

Sharon might be able to help, she has experience with a Jack Russell and rabbit hunting with Beagles. Both very different things but she knows both well.

I’m pretty sure a Jack Russell will train you, and not the other way around!😁

Garrison
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:41 pm

Thanks Garrison.

I've had 4 JRTs( old name) and enjoyed every one. When I wasn't old , I participated in JRT trials. ( 50+ yards of an underground trail with a rat in a cage at the end.) What a blast! :lol: They are a challenge, but worth the time imo
Once they know what you want , they are in to it.

I've included a video about getting your dog started. After the video step , you move to a planted rabbit in the woods etc..

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tr ... &FORM=VIRE

In the old days , we would buy a rabbit and put it in a pen with the dog ( beagle or JRT). This was to tell the dog what you were interested in. The dog would be on a leash so the rabbit wasn't killed.
Of course , they will go to ground after a rabbit , but don't expect them to grab the rabbit out by the neck, and drag it out etc.. The rabbit will usually come out of his second hole, and try to escape. It is up to you to watch for that escape and be ready to shoot. As you know, this kind of dog will be close to the ground chasing. BE VERY careful with your shot. I never shot my dog , but I know someone who did.

PS
Like most dogs , but particularly a terrier, consistency is the key. Don't ask that dog to do anything that you are not going to enforce. You ask him to come, and he ignores you, get up and get him - even if the football game is on. :) ANYTIME he gets away with ignoring you, you've take 2+ steps back.
I would not take an off leash terrier or beagle out to hunt/run without a GPS collar. Yes, they are expensive, but essential.

PPS If I knew how to post pictures I would. :oops:
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Garrison

Post by Garrison » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:09 pm

Looks fun!
“Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in.”
- Mark Twain-

Nozzer

Post by Nozzer » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:57 pm

Thank you guys for the help, this is all very useful! I suspect the real emphasis on this will be recall on the whistle and tracking. Now, you mention a GPS collar, I will seriously consider one. Do you recommend a particular make and model? Should I take a shovel with me in case the dog gets stuck? Do you make them wear skid vests to protect their bellies or are they pretty resilient to that kind of abuse? Also, in my rabbit hunting experience, it's mostly consisted of me chasing the rabbit into the open until the rabbit stops to look back then popping him. You think it would be possible to call a terrier off at the last moment prior to shooting to ensure a safe shot on the rabbit? Thanks for all your help!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:54 am

Nozzer wrote:
Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:57 pm
Thank you guys for the help, this is all very useful! I suspect the real emphasis on this will be recall on the whistle and tracking. Now, you mention a GPS collar, I will seriously consider one. Do you recommend a particular make and model? Should I take a shovel with me in case the dog gets stuck? Do you make them wear skid vests to protect their bellies or are they pretty resilient to that kind of abuse? Also, in my rabbit hunting experience, it's mostly consisted of me chasing the rabbit into the open until the rabbit stops to look back then popping him. You think it would be possible to call a terrier off at the last moment prior to shooting to ensure a safe shot on the rabbit? Thanks for all your help!
Do you recommend a particular make and model?
As my dog has cancer and I have Parkinson's I don't need a collar now. If I was buying one today I would look into the Tractive GPS DOG LTE - new but interesting. Other members may have better choices. Start a new thread on what GPS collar to buy.

Should I take a shovel with me in case the dog gets stuck?... yes

Do you make them wear skid vests to protect their bellies or are they pretty resilient to that kind of abuse? ... I used a vest.

You think it would be possible to call a terrier off at the last moment prior to shooting to ensure a safe shot on the rabbit? .... Yes. If one can teach a spaniel to sit when the bird takes off, teach a pointing breed to hold still when a bird takes off, to ensure a safe shot, it should be possible with a JRT.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Nozzer

Post by Nozzer » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:23 pm

This Tractive looks very nice and affordable! Is it that rugged compared to a Garmin or Sport Dog? I'm surprised their GPS e-collars are so expensive compared to the Tractive models.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:59 pm

Nozzer wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:23 pm
This Tractive looks very nice and affordable! Is it that rugged compared to a Garmin or Sport Dog? I'm surprised their GPS e-collars are so expensive compared to the Tractive models.
The fee is low because you pay a monthly subscription fee , rather than a one time purchase amount. The location/map appears on your smart phone.

https://tractive.com/en/pd/gps-tracker-dog

Under the $69.00 price , click on "subscription fees". When you order on the cart it is $169.00

Start a new thread about what collar to buy and hear from the experts who know more than me.