Rescued Boykin- 3-4 year old Male

Kaveman74

Rescued Boykin- 3-4 year old Male

Post by Kaveman74 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:31 am

I will attempt to keep this as short and digestable as I can but want to give enough detail so this may be long winded.
This pup was purchased for a kid as a pup, kid lost interest, pup has roamed. He's always been fed but never been cared for or loved on. I have had him for 2 days and we are getting him healthy first. We are beginning by getting this pup used to love and basic obedience. No pressure nor negative correction. He does come to his name and has a grip on "Here". He has a great desire to please and has latched onto me very quickly.

Now, I am attempting to plan for this pups future. I have a local WMA that is a great place, planted dove fields, and a wild quail population that is booming. I would love to use as a retriever for Doves and point/flush and retrieve quail.

Does anyone have any experience training older dogs or rescue type dogs? Is there a program out there that would be recommended? Most programs ive seen are based on a new puppy. Are those still applicable?

One concern I have is that he has no interest in toys. Can you teach the desire to retrieve if he has lost his natural vigor for it?

Just to clarify, this dog will not be under any pressure for a long time. He will be a pet first and if he never flushes a bird he will still be a pet in my home and be loved on for the rest of his life. I just think he would thrive when given a job.

Any insight is appreciated!

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Re: Rescued Boykin- 3-4 year old Male

Post by Sharon » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:52 pm

I've had many a rescue . I was glad to hear you say, "This dog will not be under any pressure for a long time."
He has to learn to trust you.
Even playing with a toy, may make him hesitant if he has been abused/ignored in any way in the past.
To encourage you, I rescued a GSP from a pet store years ago. ( I know you are supporting the pet store business, but what about the dog?) He had been kept in a crate 24/7 for a year ++
After some time he turned out to be a great bird hunter.
All the best to you, and I hope to hear about his training going well in the future.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:59 am

Be patient and kind with a Boykin, and once you gain his trust, you're likely to end up with the most companionable retriever out there. And seek out a retriever club or two in your area, or a training group, and chances are they'll welcome you and your pup with open arms. And can be right helpful too in your training - your training on your terms, though they might also have some well-intentioned (and competent) help. Your ambitions are most admirable in having a new best friend and family member above all else. If you were in Scotland, or if he were a converted Yank, as I've tried to get him to become, the man, the trainer, who could help you most, with empathy and sound advice, is forum member "Polmaise." Maybe he'll see your heartwarming post and share a little professional wisdom - go Boykin pro bono if you will - but in any event, best wishes to you and the little brown dog--

MG

oregon woodsmoke

Post by oregon woodsmoke » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm

Training is very bonding for a dog. They love to have a leader to work for and work with. If you train, your dog will get closer to you.

Fetch does not have to be a game for a dog,. He does not have to enjoy playing fetch in order to be an excellent gun dog. He can learn that "fetch" is a work thing that pleases you, a part of the job that he does.

If you don't want to do anything to hurt him, you can train "fetch" with clicker training. Then if he doesn't enjoy it as a game, use fetch sparingly and only as part of his drill for work.

He will fetch game for you because you are his boss and because it is what makes you happy and earns him an attaboy.

We have had two spaniel gundogs and both of them thought is was stupid for me to throw the ball away if I wanted the ball. But both would find and fetch birds like champions. They were very keen for it even though throwing a stick for them earning me a scornful look.

Seriously, if you want to stand there and play fetch until your arm falls off, get a Labrador.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:42 pm

oregon woodsmoke wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:36 pm
Training is very bonding for a dog. They love to have a leader to work for and work with. If you train, your dog will get closer to you.

Fetch does not have to be a game for a dog,. He does not have to enjoy playing fetch in order to be an excellent gun dog. He can learn that "fetch" is a work thing that pleases you, a part of the job that he does.

If you don't want to do anything to hurt him, you can train "fetch" with clicker training. Then if he doesn't enjoy it as a game, use fetch sparingly and only as part of his drill for work.

He will fetch game for you because you are his boss and because it is what makes you happy and earns him an attaboy.

We have had two spaniel gundogs and both of them thought is was stupid for me to throw the ball away if I wanted the ball. But both would find and fetch birds like champions. They were very keen for it even though throwing a stick for them earning me a scornful look.

Seriously, if you want to stand there and play fetch until your arm falls off, get a Labrador.

Hilarious! :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

Kaveman74

Post by Kaveman74 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:56 pm

Thanks for all the input. Very encouraging!

Does anyone recommend a certain program that would provide step by step of training a bird dog? I’m familiar with obedience training but never touched formal retreival/hunting/pointing training.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaveman74

Post by Kaveman74 » Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:59 pm

Thanks for the encouraging words and reassurance! Is there any training programs that progress through retrieval/hunting/pointing training? I see alot of YouTube videos but also understand those are professionals sharing a small snippet of what actually happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marysburg

Post by marysburg » Tue May 17, 2022 10:15 pm

I just saw this thread, and I am sorry you didn't get an answer to your question. I have hunted and trained both pointers and flushers, and I think that the George Hickox DVDs are excellent to get you started. You could go onto his website and order Training the Upland Retriever, as the training is the same for Labs and spaniels too. I hope you're having a blast with your dog.

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Rescued Boykin- 3-4 year old Malef

Post by shags » Wed May 18, 2022 5:17 am

Congrats on the new dog.

Older dogs are started as if they are puppies, but you have to remember that they will progress a bit faster in some things, and maybe a little slower in others depending on their past experiences. It's not a big deal, just adjust as needed.

There are lots of good training books and videos out there and there isn't one best or correct way. I would suggest checking out several via youtube or websites and finding one that really clicks in *your* brain. If a method makes sense to you and suits your personality it will be easier to apply the lesson to your dog. If a method seems confusing or rubs you the wrong way, it won't be long before you're pulling your hair out and cutting corners/adding unnecessary steps. No matter which method you choose, if you hit a wall and need some help, more than likely someone here can help you work it out.

It sounds like your little dog really landed in a great place. Best wishes...I hope you both enjoy the ride and that everything works out great.

gonehuntin'
GDF Junkie

Post by gonehuntin' » Wed May 18, 2022 4:21 pm

A few things: First, you haven't told us the age of the pup.

Second, Boykin's are flushing dog's not pointing dog's.

Third, MG is VERY knowledgable about this breed so pay attention to what advice is given.

And finally, remember that any dog fits in any program, it's not the program that is varied, only the amount of pressure.
LIFE WITHOUT BIRD DOGS AND FLY RODS REALLY ISN'T LIFE AT ALL.