Launcher Advice

BlessedGirl

Launcher Advice

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:32 am

I was waiting for LCS to get their electronic bird launchers back in stock so I could snatch up a few, but it's been quite a while and no sign of them coming back. Now I figured it's time to give up on LCS and get something else. Should I go Dogtra or DT Systems? I read some negative stuff on the forum about DT electronics being El cheapo... Is that problem still ongoing?

-If DT Systems, Can I use BL509 launcher and transmitter with additional BL505 launchers, or do they all have to be BL509?

-If Dogtra, what sort of accessories do I need to purchase along with the 3 plain old Quail Launcher 2s (no transmitters included) in order to set them up? Do they come with receivers or do you have to purchase those separately?

Thanks!
Last edited by BlessedGirl on Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

SwitchGrassWPG

Re: Launcher Advice

Post by SwitchGrassWPG » Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:22 pm

Can't speak to Dogtra, but I have 4 of the DTs and have no complaints in the 5-6 years I have them. I bought them because I found a great online deal for them and they use a replaceable 9v battery. I believe the electronics are the same regardless of launcher model, so should be interchangeable. I've even purchased the electronics to make manual Scott launchers remote...
Only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...

http://www.switchgrasswpg.com

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:43 pm

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:22 pm
Can't speak to Dogtra, but I have 4 of the DTs and have no complaints in the 5-6 years I have them. I bought them because I found a great online deal for them and they use a replaceable 9v battery. I believe the electronics are the same regardless of launcher model, so should be interchangeable. I've even purchased the electronics to make manual Scott launchers remote...
Thank you! Anyone have an answer to the question below?

-If Dogtra, what sort of accessories do I need to purchase along with the plain old Quail Launchers (no transmitters included) in order to set them up? Do they come with receivers or do you have to purchase those separately?

cjhills
GDF Junkie

Post by cjhills » Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:24 am

BG
Not sure I understand the question.
If you already have a transmitter, you don't need anything else. the transmitter is a little over $100 if purchased separately. You can run numerous receivers with one transmitter ( I think 13). It gets a bit interesting if you launch the wrong bird. I hate that.
I have one DT that I purchased twenty years ago, it works great. They replaced the transmitter for half price about 8 years ago. Their customer service was great then........Cj

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am

BG--
The Dogtra Quail Remote Launcher QL-2-1 on Gundog Supply runs $380 It includes everything needed to launch a quail. It comes with a transmiter,
a receiver mounted to the cage, and the cage the bird is in. If you already have the Dogtra transmiter, you will need to get the cage with the mounted Dogtra receiver($300).

I have the DT 509 Quail & Pigeon launcher--it is listed for $350. It comes with the transmitter(controls 16 launchers), and a cage with the receiver mounted on it. The transmiter will also launch the pheasant size cages with receiver. You can order extra cages with receiver attached I would go on the gun dog Supply web site and look up DT 509 Quail remote launcher. below the launcher and price it has a VIDEO that shows how the launcher works.
If you buy the DT launcher, tape up the hole on the trap door that loads the birds--quail can turn around in the trap and stick their heads out the hole--if launched with their head outside the trap door it will kill them when launched. There are still enough holes on the launcher for good ventilation so the dog smells the bird. Occasionally there are used ones posted on this web site. I sold 2 of my DTs about a year ago on this site for 1/2 price of new ones.

I think most retailers are out or low on inventory due to supply chain problems. Most will get them back in on Jan or Feb
Good luck on the dog training. :D

Another possibility is to join NAVHDA and go to their training days(They will have launchers you can use) Or find a training buddy that has launchers :D

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:39 pm

Thank you both! CJ, I don't have any electronics right now. Sorry if my question was confusing. I meant no electronics included, just the launcher itself.
deseeker wrote:
Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:21 am
The Dogtra Quail Remote Launcher QL-2-1 on Gundog Supply runs $380 It includes everything needed to launch a quail. It comes with a transmiter,
a receiver mounted to the cage, and the cage the bird is in. If you already have the Dogtra transmiter, you will need to get the cage with the mounted Dogtra receiver($300).
I think most retailers are out or low on inventory due to supply chain problems. Most will get them back in on Jan or Feb
What I was looking at was the Dogtra QL2 launcher with no electronics. Neither Gun Dog Supply nor LCS have been able to keep things in stock for quite some time so I've been looking elsewhere (Cabela's, etc.). Hard to find much. But now GDS says theirs will be in stock early January so maybe I'll just hang tight and see if I can get a set of three with the electronics included. Wow, it's hard to get all set up, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end. :)

RayGubernat
GDF Junkie

Post by RayGubernat » Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:00 pm

BG

I have had Dogtra launchers for years and they have given me excellent service. I currently have three which is about one more than I need, just in case one of them craps out. My son just purchased a pair of Dogtra quail launchers(with electronics) right before Christmas. Several suppliers were out, but one got in several units and he scored his two. Keep checking your suppliers...the units come in and go out in a hurry.

One thing I should mention.... I cut a piece of 1/2 exterior plywood about 2" wider and 3" longer than the base of the launcher. The plywood keeps the trap electornics away from wet ground. Traps I used to have would fail to function if the electronics got wet. never had a failure to launch due to ground moisture with the plywood base. I cut a hole in the end with the spring adjustment nut so I could loosen and tighten the nut quickly and easily with a nut driver. I also installed a screw eye in the other end so I could hang the trap on a hook. I can hang my traps on the wall and plug them in to an outlet strip. They are out of the way, charged and easily available.

RayG

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:11 pm

Thanks for the helpful tips, Ray. Glad I heard about the plywood trick before I get launchers instead of damaging them on wet ground! Okay I'll check the suppliers more often. I guess I probably haven't checked them enough, but as of now I can only find the Dogtra launcher sold separately from the electronics.

oldbeek

Post by oldbeek » Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:38 am

I got 2 dogtra quail and pigeon launcher from a trainer.(very Used) One receiver failed. I sent it to dogtra on a Tuesday and had it back fixed the next Wednesday. That I quick service. Dont remember what needed fixed but it was in the electronics. $50.00 Also a very fair price for service.

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Feb 04, 2022 2:51 pm

I would have preferred to get a few launchers from GDS because of the great customer service, but neither they nor LCS have had the Dogtra launchers back in stock. I finally ordered today from Dogtra Factory Outlet. They have them in stock right now! They don't have a launcher package with the electronics included so I just ordered the electronics on the side. Hoping to get them next week! Thanks for the advice. :)