Tail-end Trauma?

BlessedGirl

Tail-end Trauma?

Post by BlessedGirl » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:03 pm

Something I've been dealing with... When I got my Red Setter pup this summer she had this bad habit of chilling out right by the front door. All the time. When the door opened, her tail eased right into the doorway and you guess the rest. :( Poor Indy suffered a sore tail too many times, but must've learned her lesson because she hasn't gotten a slam job for quite a while.

It seems like that may have had something to do with this. When she's napping or just tired out on the porch she'll sometimes growl when someone touches her back end/tail or tries picking her up (eg., when she's in the way and somebody needs to move her, etc.). Sometimes I don't actually need her to move but she needs to understand she shouldn't ever growl at me. I guess she's getting used to adjusting to things she doesn't like. She used to growl like that pretty much all the time under those circumstances, even would bite, but now she's gotten a lot better and growls less than she used to. I'm working on getting her to quit that and letting her know it's unacceptable. There's no more snapping when I move her now, that's taken care of.

Do y'all think the growling and biting was a result from getting her tail slammed in the door? Or is it something you've had with your pups? I'm not talking about play biting which is somewhat common, but actually snapping and growling at you.
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

shags
GDF Junkie

Re: Tail-end Trauma?

Post by shags » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:16 pm

My dogs, every single one I ever owned, would never dare to growl or bite me. They night try it once after the baby puppy stage then they get a Come to Jesus session.
No dog teeth on people skin, ever! That goes for threatening it, too.

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:12 pm

"Do y'all think the growling and biting was a result from getting her tail slammed in the door?" quote

I don't think so. I think your dog is about 6+ months old now; time to show who is the boss.
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:58 am

Ttown

Post by Ttown » Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:40 pm

Good Example Polmaise!

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:10 am

I like how you all put such emphasis on not letting them be the boss and nip people. More people should know that and the world would probably be a safer place. Like I said, my pup isn't snapping anymore. She quit a while ago, actually. I got her at 2 1/2 months old and I don't remember her doing it when I first got her, that's why I thought it might be the tail-slamming that prompted it. Mainly a couple months ago was when she was snappy. She hasn't a big play biter, but I noticed she tried play mouthing me recently, so obviously she needs some correction there. Just gotta get her to quit the occasional growl now and then... thanks

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Sat Nov 06, 2021 12:14 am

After correcting Indy, I noticed the last few times she played with my foot (what a fun thing to play with) she doesn't try to bite it or even mouth it like she was trying to in the last post. Thanks for the encouragement.:)

P.S. I spoke a little too soon, I guess, cuz she's not done with that training all the way...