Swamp poodle puppy, LBD, Boykin

captjwteal

Swamp poodle puppy, LBD, Boykin

Post by captjwteal » Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:01 pm

I've had a few Labs all trained by me that I hunted with over the years and a couple I actually ran in some HRC trials quite successfully 20+ years ago. For the last 3 years I've been wanting a Boykin Spaniel after shooting some ducks over one many times in the MS Delta. I shoot lots of doves and do some upland hunting in Iowa & Kansas (hoping to do lots more). Of course with this new to me breed I've a ton of questions, but as my new pup is arriving (flying x country) Sunday @ 8 weeks I've got one immediate question that I can't seem to get a satisfactory answer on. Here goes; this little female has been on live pigeons for 2 weeks now, the breeder has sent me a couple of videos of her retrieving the bird almost to hand, she leads the litter when a bird is tossed on the ground now she's doing it one on one with the retrieve/recall naturally. I'm impressed but not sure this is a good thing at her stage of development? A lot of my research shows the propensity for the LBD to not care for a dummy (or get bored) most often and my plan was to start her as a non-slip retriever but Would like for her to work upland as flushing dog as well. I'm stationary for another 2 & 1/2 months and could source some live birds but wondering the best way to utilize them other than just toss and retrieve. I know we've got lots of bonding and trust work to do but just watching her work and focus on the handler?breeder at this age tells me If I don't screw it up I may want to see how she'll do in some trials next year.

I guess the question is: should I just stick to what I know and train her as I did my Labs or is there another method (for lack of a better word) that you would suggest. I really have gained much already just lurking here the last couple months in anticipation of her coming of age, I've named her "Birdie" cause well she's sooooo birdie! Thank you in advice and again thanks for having me here.

crackerd

Re: Swamp poodle puppy, LBD, Boykin

Post by crackerd » Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 am

What'n hail's that? You mean a mud poodle or a mud 'n' snow poodle.
100_2029.jpg
Yes, train your Boykin as you would a Lab, tailoring whatever program you use for the l'il-est retriever. For example, force to pile 50 yards 'sted of 100; double-T half-sized and same for swim-by. And use Mike Lardy's Retriever Journal articles Vol. 1 as your training template.

Of more immediate concern, birds v. bumpers for a Boykin pup, don't let that bother you in the least. At her age, it's the motion of a thrown object that entices them. And if you ain't got bumpers, a little non-squeaking playtoy say a teddy bear or (my favorite) a stuffed carrot will give you good retrieving mileage.

Good luck, with consistency on your part and opportunities available to you for the pup in the field, no gundog more fun to train than a little Boykin bitch. And as for the upland business, once you've a nonslip retrieving partner, the quartering and flushing steadiness will be easy to overlay with whistle commands to the e-collar. (As for doves, they're doing that in their dreams in the womb - just don't start snatching a dove away from a Boykin pup at the outset. In fact, I would not take her afield for the opener but afterward, and in a controlled situation, like your garage or a hallway (if the wife ain't too house-proud to scold you over a few loose feathers) offer her instead "cold game" doves for getting the feel of. Then take her out when you can go by yourself for a few pass shots AFTER she's been exposed to gunfire at 5-6 months old. (That might be the time you give her a mallard hen or two, cold game first, before taking her out on the Delta or flooded timber. And by the way, have you got a treestand yet for her with her name embroidered on it? :wink: )

Best of luck - and with your HRC experience and the time you can put into training a Boykin, I know this will turn out to be a great experience for the both of you.

MG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 pm

captjwteal wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:01 pm
I guess the question is: should I just stick to what I know and train her as I did my Labs or is there another method (for lack of a better word) that you would suggest. I really have gained much already just lurking here the last couple months in anticipation of her coming of age, I've named her "Birdie" cause well she's sooooo birdie! Thank you in advice and again thanks for having me here.
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:20 am

Thanks guys can’t wait to get started, unfortunately my transport contractor just put us off for another 5 days 🤷🏻‍♂️🤦‍♂️

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:59 am

4CC3F294-40C5-4D97-BC45-5B013B117743.jpeg
1989F91E-4524-4F14-BF9C-82577A9D8247.jpeg
196114A3-368C-40CD-BD2C-9B739C38C360.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:25 am

crackered, polmaise, want to thank you both, I’ve been perusing the other forums and come to realize I got a couple folks in you two that for years have been helping others like myself and just want to give y’all the proper kudos. I’ve ordered the Lardy volume 1 thinking to order the DVDs as well. I have read Pam’s Spaniel book, and HUP, even pulled out my box of retriever tracing books from 20 30 year collection. I know I’ll rumple some feathers here saying this but I just can’t figure why so many are quick to put down Walter’s’ books? I had several very good working dogs using this method and combining with going to trials talking to trainers, clubbing somehow managed to have a couple of successful trial labs. IMO when reading a lot of these newer books I still see the same foundations that Wolters laid down for me and my pups (I’ve never put any stock in the literature or people that say wait until the pups 6 months to a year old). My Dad & grandfather raised pointers and a few Brittany so I did give a Brittany a go back in the day and I guess that’s my concern with this new Spaniel pup, Lordy that Brittany was the only animal I’ve ever had a problem getting along with.
But I digress, again Thanks to both of you hopefully the little brown dog will be in my charge by weeks end.
JT
PS: I’m seriously considering adding Lisett to the collection

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:32 pm

crackerd wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:45 am
What'n hail's that? You mean a mud poodle or a mud 'n' snow poodle.

100_2029.jpg

Yes, train your Boykin as you would a Lab, tailoring whatever program you use for the l'il-est retriever. For example, force to pile 50 yards 'sted of 100; double-T half-sized and same for swim-by. And use Mike Lardy's Retriever Journal articles Vol. 1 as your training template.

Of more immediate concern, birds v. bumpers for a Boykin pup, don't let that bother you in the least. At her age, it's the motion of a thrown object that entices them. And if you ain't got bumpers, a little non-squeaking playtoy say a teddy bear or (my favorite) a stuffed carrot will give you good retrieving mileage.

Good luck, with consistency on your part and opportunities available to you for the pup in the field, no gundog more fun to train than a little Boykin bitch. And as for the upland business, once you've a nonslip retrieving partner, the quartering and flushing steadiness will be easy to overlay with whistle commands to the e-collar. (As for doves, they're doing that in their dreams in the womb - just don't start snatching a dove away from a Boykin pup at the outset. In fact, I would not take her afield for the opener but afterward, and in a controlled situation, like your garage or a hallway (if the wife ain't too house-proud to scold you over a few loose feathers) offer her instead "cold game" doves for getting the feel of. Then take her out when you can go by yourself for a few pass shots AFTER she's been exposed to gunfire at 5-6 months old. (That might be the time you give her a mallard hen or two, cold game first, before taking her out on the Delta or flooded timber. And by the way, have you got a treestand yet for her with her name embroidered on it? :wink: )

Best of luck - and with your HRC experience and the time you can put into training a Boykin, I know this will turn out to be a great experience for the both of you.

MG

Took a minute to find her in there 🤦‍♂️. Dead bird

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm

polmaise wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:50 pm
captjwteal wrote:
🤔 concur. He sent me a video today 2 live pigeons on the ground, lots of barnyard distractions she hesitatingly brought the 1st one back, 2nd one; well, I’ll just take this one over here, I’ll pretend I couldn’t hear him 🤦‍♂️. Hopefully I’ll have her in my hands Thursday, haven’t felt like this since senior prom.

crackerd

Post by crackerd » Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:05 am

captjwteal wrote:
Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:25 am
I’ve ordered the Lardy volume 1 thinking to order the DVDs as well. I have read Pam’s Spaniel book, and HUP, even pulled out my box of retriever tracing books from 20 30 year collection. I know I’ll rumple some feathers here saying this but I just can’t figure why so many are quick to put down Walter’s’ books? I had several very good working dogs using this method and combining with going to trials talking to trainers, clubbing somehow managed to have a couple of successful trial labs. IMO when reading a lot of these newer books I still see the same foundations that Wolters laid down for me and my pups (I’ve never put any stock in the literature or people that say wait until the pups 6 months to a year old). My Dad & grandfather raised pointers and a few Brittany so I did give a Brittany a go back in the day and I guess that’s my concern with this new Spaniel pup, Lordy that Brittany was the only animal I’ve ever had a problem getting along with.
But I digress, again Thanks to both of you hopefully the little brown dog will be in my charge by weeks end.
JT
PS: I’m seriously considering adding Lisett to the collection
There's something to be gained from every one of those books or tapes - whether it's a different perspective or diverse approach to training. (If your Boykin's going to be trained nonslip, the Lissett tapes are of little help. "Hup!" more so.) A lot of that premise comes from first-hand observation. For example, the "retriever training for a hard-headed spaniel" approach favored by one of those you've cited above never rang true for me, but other insights that the author provided on their long affiliation with Boykins were quite valuable. Meanwhile, Wolters "Waterdog" imprint was taken over by Charley Jurney, who was one of the most accomplished Boykin trainers going in the '90s and 2-aughts, and some good spaniel nuggets are to be had therein. Meanwhile, I've just finished a British book from 45 years ago titled "Modern Retriever Training" that is as outdated as 8-track tape players and guinea coins - and was outdated by American standards long before it was even conceived. However, there are nice observations and universal truths on the raising a gundog as a family member, practicing patience and letter-perfect obedience for the first couple of years of a pup's life, and sacre bleu!, how training must be ongoing over the course of a gundog's life - that latter reflection was in step with how we work US field trial retrievers almost to the point of turning into a training cult.

But all that said, if this is your first gundog/working retriever since you had Labs, I wouldn't mix and match programs, I would get a step-by approach and follow it all the way through. Do otherwise and you risk digging a hole that you may not be able to get a ladder into extricating yourself and the pup. Lardy's provided the template for my last eight dogs, including four different breeds, and while I may juggle a couple of his steps, like collar conditioning before force fetch instead of afterward as he does it, the individual dog dictates whether or not I follow Lardy to the letter. When you've got a dog for the first time in a long time, and you have a program devised with Labs in mind but applicable to all retrieving gundogs, you probably want to glue yourself and the pup to its every instruction.

More important at this time is when we do we get evidence that retrieving dynamite in the smallest package has arrived? Photos and first impressions keenly awaited.

MG

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 pm

captjwteal wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm
polmaise wrote:
captjwteal wrote:
🤔 concur. He sent me a video today 2 live pigeons on the ground, lots of barnyard distractions she hesitatingly brought the 1st one back, 2nd one; well, I’ll just take this one over here, I’ll pretend I couldn’t hear him 🤦‍♂️. Hopefully I’ll have her in my hands Thursday, haven’t felt like this since senior prom.
The only connection I can claim in reply is the name 'Birdie' chosen.
Reminds me of this little treasure ,also named 'Birdie' ! It wasn't my dog it came for 'Re-Training' because it was allowed to be too Birdie .
The attached video is after a few weeks training individual or sequential processes very much like the named training programs advocated , but not implemented or applied ,so it was a bit like "deleting the hard drive ,and reinstalling windows ". You won't have to do that on Thursday if puppy Birdie' is 8-10 weeks old , because there is nothing to fix ? But if 'Birdie' has already learned things before Thursday and in your hands ,then it will be the first day of the rest of her life with you . All the best, and like Mike has eluded to , look forward to pictures and future progress.
The 'birdie' in my clip is a Cocker, but hey' they are just as dynamite as Boykins with a heart of retrieving and hunting .(Focus is imperative between handler/shooter and dog in any field , but especially the shooting field) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMh_sANQrDI

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:02 pm

There's something to be gained from every one of those books or tapes - whether it's a different perspective or diverse approach to training. (If your Boykin's going to be trained nonslip, the Lissett tapes are of little help. "Hup!" more so.) A lot of that premise comes from first-hand observation. For example, the "retriever training for a hard-headed spaniel" approach favored by one of those you've cited above never rang true for me, but other insights that the author provided on their long affiliation with Boykins were quite valuable. Meanwhile, Wolters "Waterdog" imprint was taken over by Charley Jurney, who was one of the most accomplished Boykin trainers going in the '90s and 2-aughts, and some good spaniel nuggets are to be had therein. Meanwhile, I've just finished a British book from 45 years ago titled "Modern Retriever Training" that is as outdated as 8-track tape players and guinea coins - and was outdated by American standards long before it was even conceived. However, there are nice observations and universal truths on the raising a gundog as a family member, practicing patience and letter-perfect obedience for the first couple of years of a pup's life, and sacre bleu!, how training must be ongoing over the course of a gundog's life - that latter reflection was in step with how we work US field trial retrievers almost to the point of turning into a training cult.

But all that said, if this is your first gundog/working retriever since you had Labs, I wouldn't mix and match programs, I would get a step-by approach and follow it all the way through. Do otherwise and you risk digging a hole that you may not be able to get a ladder into extricating yourself and the pup. Lardy's provided the template for my last eight dogs, including four different breeds, and while I may juggle a couple of his steps, like collar conditioning before force fetch instead of afterward as he does it, the individual dog dictates whether or not I follow Lardy to the letter. When you've got a dog for the first time in a long time, and you have a program devised with Labs in mind but applicable to all retrieving gundogs, you probably want to glue yourself and the pup to its every instruction.

More important at this time is when we do we get evidence that retrieving dynamite in the smallest package has arrived? Photos and first impressions keenly awaited.

MG
[/quote]

Wow! I concur with so much of this, and learned much as well, Thank You! Absolutely please share more titles new old and even old modern 🤔 anytime! I’m a dog tracing book junkie for 40 years plus, I had my sister go to my home and send me a box full and want more, crazy me. The field trial statement couldn’t be more true, and I’ve never wanted any part of that myself, well stick with more realistic trialing and would love to get Birdie in upland as well as retriever trials.
The bit about Charlie Jurney and being a Boykin master is something I had no idea of (really preferred Wolters take, but Charley lost me with the DVD’s.
And on Lisset, well thank you, saved me some big $’s for now, so how best would you suggest I spend that as I am working Lardy’s volume one but this article format is not detailed enough for my learning/liking? There’s the 4 volumes or the complete system; if buying the complete system would it be safe to assume that I wouldn’t have a need for the 4 volumes? The site nor any reviews seem to not clarify this to me?

1st impressions; she hit the ground after an eleven hour x country flight without missing a beat! The flight nanny said she unzipped her carrier under the seat and was claimed 3 rows up. She’s heck on wheels for sure, busy is not the word, I believe you hit the nail on the head with “dynamite “. I can see she’s got it in her genes, we take 3 or 4 long walks in the woods or meadows daily on a 6’ leash dragging for now and she’s always checking back to see where I am, when she runs out (quartering naturally) a bit too far it shocks her and I love how she comes back practically across my feet quartering away. So she been here 6 days now, acclimated fast, gets a bit pissy with me when I get on her but knows it’s coming when she decides the heck with him I’m doing it anyway. She sits, is coming to here better every session (2 serious per day 10-15 minutes maybe more if she’s game). I think the last time before she left home and decided not to come all the way in with the live birds had her on the wrong path, so we’re playing bumpers in the hall and 2 maybe 3 short retrieves couple times a day. I’m going to try to attach a YouTube link and u can see this, though this was really a walk in the woods play time with fun learning only. She’ll figure out how to climb over these big Douglas Firs to follow me, there’s no stump or rock she doesn’t try to summit. Fun fun. I apologize for the footage but I’ll try and keep y’all updated and hopefully you will continue to critique/help as you have thus far.
I will add my situation is ideal as I’m not leaving her in a crate all day and she spends about 1/3 to 1/2 my work day with me, I’ve an outdoor kennel at my camp and leave her there often and can actually cruise by and check on her w/o her knowing, other times I ride her through the Resort with me on the golf cart which she loves. I remember my 1st lab, that one dog the rest of them have to live up to was a similar situation, so making sure we don’t go into some type of separation anxiety deals for sure. She is clingy and those eyes 😎. But I know I prefer this to when I had a kennel full of Labs 25 years ago.

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:14 pm

polmaise wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:00 pm
captjwteal wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:37 pm
polmaise wrote:

The only connection I can claim in reply is the name 'Birdie' chosen.
Reminds me of this little treasure ,also named 'Birdie' ! It wasn't my dog it came for 'Re-Training' because it was allowed to be too Birdie .
The attached video is after a few weeks training individual or sequential processes very much like the named training programs advocated , but not implemented or applied ,so it was a bit like "deleting the hard drive ,and reinstalling windows ". You won't have to do that on Thursday if puppy Birdie' is 8-10 weeks old , because there is nothing to fix ? But if 'Birdie' has already learned things before Thursday and in your hands ,then it will be the first day of the rest of her life with you . All the best, and like Mike has eluded to , look forward to pictures and future progress.
The 'birdie' in my clip is a Cocker, but hey' they are just as dynamite as Boykins with a heart of retrieving and hunting .(Focus is imperative between handler/shooter and dog in any field , but especially the shooting field) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMh_sANQrDI
First, thanks for that Cocker Birdie show! What a firecracker!!! I think as you will read from my long winded response to crackerd is that the breeder who did a great job working with these pups only pushed it one retrieve too far, I saw her in the video before she went the “other way” with the live bird just how hard she was thinking about it and confirmed. He wasn’t in position to amp her up on the here/come, no check cord and another 7 week old Boykin in his lap, and she’s smart enough to have figured out he wouldn’t enforce.

I’m going to see if I can attach those 3 or videos of her on live birds before she came here as I would like for y’all to see just what I think I saw?

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:29 pm

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 10:57 pm

So this was at breeder’s home and in chronological order from 5 weeks to 7 weeks old he worked them on live pigeons 2-3 times a week, me thinks good and bad under the circumstances, but not important now. When the whole litter was involved that Birdie was alway 1st no matter what her bully brother was doing to trip her up. Whatcha think?

https://youtu.be/Ud6D_2teiqw

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:08 pm

4A3AD07E-4E90-4011-BE98-83D6346360C2.jpeg
31AE36E6-D156-4085-A3EF-364031C73CFB.jpeg
715657FB-37B2-427B-8B2D-700FDF8CD5EA.jpeg

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:09 pm

A63BD3F6-CB6F-4CFD-8BB0-0F40749AAD5A.jpeg
2DAC717D-8375-4C49-9F0E-CB967D7D04F5.jpeg
A8A7444B-1876-4980-B2AD-D06CB6E7404B.jpeg

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:11 pm

19014250-6CE8-48CC-941D-1FEAA30DC6EC.jpeg

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:12 pm

Sorry about the sideways pics, still trying to figure it out

deseeker

Post by deseeker » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:07 am

Nice looking pup :D

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:27 pm

I like your puppy! I just saw that you guys were talking about Richard Wolters' book. I have yet to train my first gundog but I'm planning to get his book. I had one person recommend his book to me, and then the next guy basically told me Wolters' book is equal to Dora the Explorer. :lol: Haha, still gonna order it!
"Heaven isn't for good people. Heaven is for forgiven people."

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:34 pm

Not laughing at the guy who gave me the advice... He is experienced, and like everyone, has his preference and knows what works for him. The comparison, however, was unique! I guess I'll find out for myself if Wolters method works. :)

polmaise
GDF Junkie

Post by polmaise » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:14 pm

Books are Great!
I had a client recently ,well two actually, they were Husband and wife with the same dog. Our first meeting with their over exuberant young spaniel was an exchange of dialogue on what training has been done so far and at what level. As we slowly walked along a footpath to our training field with 'fido' bouncing and restraining on the tether attached. The reply was "We have both read and have followed the book by 'Pippa' .."Total Re-call".
A very good book ,"I replied" .
As we entered the training field ,I said "Take the lead off the dog and let it toilet ,when that is done, just re-call the dog if you please?".
After ablutions the dog just done a runner' and bogged off into the distance , the attempts by the clients to 'Re-call' the dog were ignored.
I replied "Perhaps the dog should have read the book?"..Disclaimer..Same on here. lol x

Sharon
GDF Junkie

Post by Sharon » Fri Aug 20, 2021 3:44 pm

captjwteal:

Thanks for taking the time to post those great pics. You've got a fine looking pup there. As Crackerd/MG said, a programme is probably essential as this is your first gundog/working retriever since you had Labs , but do stick to ONE plan.

(Always love that pic Crackerd posts- one of my favourites. :)
" We are more than our gender, skin color, class, sexuality or age; we are unlimited potential, and can not be defined by one label." quote A. Bartlett

BlessedGirl

Post by BlessedGirl » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:38 pm

Polmaise:
Oh, yeah... If only our dogs could read, hey? :-P

captjwteal

Post by captjwteal » Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks blessed & Sharon! I posted a couple videos (YouTube links) hoping they are viewable as well.

Best of luck with your pup Blessed!